Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
So your saying we should let all these companies mass producing stuff get away with exploiting people to build sub standard products, then sell them at full retail price? Great plan fan boy.

Dude, if you had your way, we'd be paying $10,000 per laptop, not $2,000. Perfection costs money. Great plan fan boy. You want to change things? Don't buy from companies that mass produce goods, that should be interesting for you.

A lot of people like U2, doesn't make them right.

WTF???

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
There just happens to be two high end Dells in my work area this morning...and they both have gaps of some sort. My VAIO at home has...gasp...a gap. They are not as visable, because the base color of the computer is black (or grey in the VAIO case), but they both surely have gaps. The one is nearly 2mm and it's never been off its dock.:D
Why do we care about this stuff. Because whiners, who don't actually have defective products drive the prices up for all of us. If you want a perfect computer, go pony up $12,000 and have one custom built. Have to give it up to Apple, they've got people convinced putting in a 160gb hard drive is 'customization'.:rolleyes: Wish I could get in on a racket like that!

Yeah so? All that means is you now have two computers with misaligned cases rather than just the one.

4nex

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2006
Dude, if you had your way, we'd be paying $10,000 per laptop, not $2,000. Perfection costs money. Great plan fan boy. You want to change things? Don't buy from companies that mass produce goods, that should be interesting for you.

WTF???

No if I had it my way things would be produced properly and companies would take a slight hit in profits, which they ultimately do when making things badly anyway.

You said a lot of people agree with you, I was illustrating that people agreeing with you doesn't make you right. Hell, there are people out there that think Oasis have talent, ANY number of them doesn't make it true.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
So your saying we should let all these companies mass producing stuff get away with exploiting people to build sub standard products, then sell them at full retail price? Great plan fan boy.

A lot of people like U2, doesn't make them right.

Wow! Now a 1mm gap is exploitation? Why not include the term slaves while we're perfecting the drama queen routine?
metal case+large surface area+very thin+100 degree C point source heat source+ dimwits who open or close case lid by grasping corners = warped MBP
It's not a defect, it should be obvious to anyone.
P.S. I've seen some that were defective on here, defects do happen and I'd get them replaced as well. The OPs pictures are not of a defective laptop. I'm ignoring his pixel issue.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Wow! Now a 1mm gap is exploitation? Why not include the term slaves while we're perfecting the drama queen routine?
metal case+large surface area+very thin+100 degree C point source heat source+ dimwits who open or close case lid by grasping corners = warped MBP
It's not a defect, it should be obvious to anyone.
P.S. I've seen some that were defective on here, defects do happen and I'd get them replaced as well. The OPs pictures are not of a defective laptop. I'm ignoring his pixel issue.

A lot of MBPs come with warped cases, guess what? According to the support-guy I spoke to it IS a defect. No the OPs pictures didnt look that bad...but then again thats not what hes returning it for.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Just send it back, if your that worried about a gap or some dead pixels then send it back and let someone else buy the refurb, I'm sure they'll be perfectly happy with it. I could personally care less about a gap, my PB has it, so what, does it effect the computers performance? No. Dead pixels suck, but for the most part you'll never notice them, if you have around 7, then get the screen replaced.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Exactly, my Macbook's screen doesn't fit by about 1mm and the case on the side goes in when you press it, who cares? It's still a well designed laptop, better than the Dell Latitude X300 I used over the summer.

Three issues, the idiot who designed it put the fan output right by one side where you have the mouse, two of the three USB ports were so close it was impossible to use both at the same time, and (even though an X300 is a 12" laptop) the screen rubbed the keyboard because it was too close and had marks on it from carrying it, compared to these defects your Macbook Pro is perfect, and these issues are pretty minor too.

Sometimes you have to worry about whether stuff is worth fighting for. I assume along with fighting Apple for a perfect laptop you are fighting hard for real problems like poverty, climate change, world peace and freedom of speech? (Apologies to Mod's if too political.)

4nex

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2006

I didn't get specific on gap sizes, why are you talking about a 1mm gap? Who do you think made your apple stuff? Santa's elves? More like people who do it because they will starve if they don't. This problem isn't exclusive to Apple by any means but thats not really the point is it.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Sometimes you have to worry about whether stuff is worth fighting for. I assume along with fighting Apple for a perfect laptop you are fighting hard for real problems like poverty, climate change, world peace and freedom of speech? (Apologies to Mod's if too political.)

That is just weird.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
What do you mean about could have done better? Myself Im not in the bussiness of producing laptops. Do you mean could I have bought a better laptop? My answer would be yes. When it comes to build quality, yes without a doubt. And for your brother maybe he doesnt have very high standards what do I know?

To put it from another perspective, maybe your standards are too high?

Even if Apple comes out with a MBP with no gaps, so what? We'd see the same old brikeh complaining how the screws are not orientated perfectly to the same degree. It never ends man.

If macs suck so much, why do you think people who are in fields like media production use them? I am pretty damned sure those people don't take out their MBP/MPs and inspect them over with a 50x loupe out of the box.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
A lot of MBPs come with warped cases, guess what? According to the support-guy I spoke to it IS a defect. No the OPs pictures didnt look that bad...but then again thats not what hes returning it for.

Here's a new one for you, even MBPs that seemingly come with no gaps will develop gaps if manhandled wrongly! By the same token, it can also be warped back into shape at a service centre! So what?!

There is a 1mm gap, omg, it calculates my excel spreadsheets wrongly. It made my tax returns evaluate to 1 million dollars! zomg!!!

Boxer

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Overland Park Kansas
Let me first say that I am picky just like most of us. I would hate to spend the kind of money that a MBP brings in to find that the build quality is sub par. But I don't think that a small gap in btwn the screen and base is worth the time that it would take to get a replacement, and time without the computer.
Just my .02

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Here's a new one for you, even MBPs that seemingly come with no gaps will develop gaps if manhandled wrongly! By the same token, it can also be warped back into shape at a service centre! So what?!

There is a 1mm gap, omg, it calculates my excel spreadsheets wrongly. It made my tax returns evaluate to 1 million dollars! zomg!!!

Yeah I dont play that nerd **** whats zomg? I was talking about computers that come bent out of the box. Your looking for reassurance right now cause I saw you in the grainy display thread and the uneven lighting thread. Figured you´d try to live with it did ya? Thats fine.

What I have been doing is leaving the display on for the past couple of days (disable turn off backlight, move mouse to no-screensaver hot corner etc) and it seems to be not as bad as time goes by. Not sure if it is all in the head as I subconsciously try to psych myself into thinking I have a flawless screen or if something else is going on within the panel, but it is worth a try.

I'm beyond my 2 weeks now with all the dilly dallying and trying to fix/calibrate this **** and guess my only option will be to get a repair when Apple addresses this issue.

Somehow I really wonder if the decreased display quality is due to Apple trying to make the MBP a battery powered stadium floodlight. We don't need such a damned bright screen already!
Geez, they seem to have gotten on with some kind of obsession since the final Powerbook revision.

I will wait and see how it goes for you guys.
In short I have never seen a lousier LCD than this.
this.

Yeah youre real happy with your MBP arent you?

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Ah WTH Im in a generous mood...Here are some of my favorites:

What's the maximum score? 5?
The crap GPU took one for the team :mad:

Meh... the way you describe it, I guess yours is no better than mine :rolleyes:

Here's their new favourite catchline.
"Within specifications"

I will probably live with it and use external monitors all the time now... and meanwhile hope during MWSF a new revision is released.

The graininess is bearable.
The colour shifts due to the narrow viewing angle is bearable.
But this **** has both. That makes it totally unbearable.
Wow, just 10 minutes since I got up and my eyes already feel it. This screen definitely sucks.

Wow man. Why the sudden change of heart on your beautiful MBP? Did they give you a new one or did you just figure that...meh it wont get any better?

Mlebout

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I did not read all the posts on this thread, but I did notice on mine that there was no gap when I received it, but there is one now? Is it possible that it is the latching system? The screen has what seems like a strong spring toward the outside of the laptop, and the way it locks onto the keyboard section, in the center, could cause it to warp???

I don't have a problem with it, but if it gets worst???

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
:rolleyes:
Yeah I dont play that nerd **** whats zomg? I was talking about computers that come bent out of the box. Your looking for reassurance right now cause I saw you in the grainy display thread and the uneven lighting thread. Figured you´d try to live with it did ya? Thats fine.

Yeah youre real happy with your MBP arent you?

Get out much??? Man, there HAS to be something better you could have done with your time...:rolleyes:

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm too lazy to read through this entire thread, but I will say I agree with MovieCutter, every mac laptop I've seen has this "problem", my powerbook has it, my Macbook Pro has it. Every Powerbook/MBP I've seen at the office has it.

Really, get over it, this doesn't effect performance one bit, I understand people's needs for "perfection" on a $2/k machine, but really, nothing is perfect in this world. Some of you need to read the beach scene in fight club (from the book, not in the movie) to fully understand perfection.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Quoted for truth.
And 'close to perfection' costs one hell of a lot of money.
A perfect bottle of wine costs...$700
http://www.winebid.com/buy_wine/item_details.aspx?ItemId=1707064-H9067
A perfect turntable costs...$19,000
http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/home-audio-speakers/clearaudio-master-reference-turntable-002972.php
A perfect stereo set of Krell Master Reference amplifiers costs $120,000
http://www.stereodesign.com/ces2001/krell.htm
A perfect car costs $1,440,000
http://www.bugatti-cars.de/bugatti/index.html
Still want a perfect computer???

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
Hey,

Sadly i think i i might have some bad news for you.

The following are pictures of my mbp:

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1215.jpg

I posted a topic basically like this a little while back and even though the members of this forum thought that the gap was too big the Apple authorized seller/fixer-upper thought otherwise.

Sorry about the bad pics but to give you a sense of it's size...it's approx. as big as one cd and one peice of paper.

Mines just like that...

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I fully agree with everyone saying that a slight gap isnt reason enough to return a computer, I wouldnt have returned a computer just because of that. BUT....Its the attitude towards people that are not satisfied with their computers. Is it really neccesary? Calling people dimwits and idiots and questioning their motives for posting. Its SO uncalled for. If you dont like whats in the thread then yeah...by all means say something but it doesnt have to be an insult.

4nex

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2006
And 'close to perfection' costs one hell of a lot of money.
A perfect bottle of wine costs...$700
http://www.winebid.com/buy_wine/item_details.aspx?ItemId=1707064-H9067
A perfect turntable costs...$19,000
http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/home-audio-speakers/clearaudio-master-reference-turntable-002972.php
A perfect stereo set of Krell Master Reference amplifiers costs $120,000
http://www.stereodesign.com/ces2001/krell.htm
A perfect car costs $1,440,000
http://www.bugatti-cars.de/bugatti/index.html
Still want a perfect computer???

Price isn't everything. My turntable cost less than that, so did my amps, so did my car, none of them had an defects when I got them, none of them do now.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
That is just weird.

Why? Why fight for something that doesn't really matter, like whether your laptop screen doesn't fit perfectly, rather than something important, maybe I didn't express it very well :eek:. To me it seems just weird if you think that it's important that your Laptop has a one 1mm gap at the edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.