Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Since it's the holiday season and most people are likely pretty busy, there's been no vote this month - just a conversation and general agreement. ;) We're also going to extend Assignment 12 into January so that those lucky enough to get shiny new camera gear for Christmas can break it in for some practice.

So you've got Darkness and Light

The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme thus improving their photographic eye. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

You must have taken the picture yourself between 9 December 2006 and 31 Jan 2007. If you took a picture that fits the assignment but was taken earlier, then post it in the Gallery: Darkness or Light thread instead.

Anyone can enter from those with (D)SLRs from P&S to cameraphones although they should be pictures that you think are good rather than just snapshots. The goal is not to 'win' but to share the enjoyment of taking pictures and learn from others.

Some basic rules on commenting (basically be nice!) are listed. Changes to the rules should be discussed there.

Post your pictures in this thread by the end of January with a title and we'll start commenting (make sure you title your comments referencing the pic you are commenting on)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Darkness and Light or should it be called Rather Dark Light

Nikon D200
Aperture f/32
Shutter 1/25
Focal Length 175 mm

This was the first thing that came to mind.

Attachments

• light and dark.jpg
    light and dark.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 252

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Diva

Meet my friend Thea. This picture was taken this afternoon (10/12/06), she needed some pictures to give to grandparents as presents for x-mas. Went with a square crop because I thought it suited the composition well and because I'm dreaming of a Seagull TLR for x-mas :) .

It's not my original idea for this assignment, but I though it fitted quite well anyway. Hopefully there will be more to come for this assignment:)

thea.jpg

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
Burning Sideways

First thing that came to mind when looking at contrast between light and darkness.

Aperture f/4.5
Shutter 1/80

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 250

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
lift off

I've seen a million launches, and never realized that it takes two full minutes for the shuttle to level out... wish I'd set that exposure for a little longer than 30 seconds last night, but it was an awesome sight!:D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
It's not that great, but I was too lazy to swap off the 50 for something wider. That foot zoom is way overrated sometimes. I'm not one for editing, but I suppose it would look better if I got rid of that ghosting (or whatever) between the spires.

I guess I should add that info stuff:
Pentax K100D
Aperture f/2.8
Shutter 1/30
Focal Length 50 mm

Attachments

• IMGP0425.JPG
    IMGP0425.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 249

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I've seen a million launches, and never realized that it takes two full minutes for the shuttle to level out... wish I'd set that exposure for a little longer than 30 seconds last night, but it was an awesome sight!:D

That is one event I would like to see before they retire the shuttles. It must define the word awesome, to both the senses and the mind. Can you hear anything from your location?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
That is one event I would like to see before they retire the shuttles. It must define the word awesome, to both the senses and the mind. Can you hear anything from your location?

The ground rumbles and the windows shake for about a minute. The rockets are neat, too... but there is nothing as bright or loud as the shuttle. Hard to believe they're docking up to the International Space Station and exchanging crew members way up there!:)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Just to add a footnote to the post and photo by NBS2....this is the Washington, DC Temple of the Church of Latter Day Saints (aka: Mormon Temple), which is picturesquely situated just off the Beltway (Rte 495) in Maryland.... It is a stunning sight by day or night, and right now during the holiday season the place is all lit up by Christmas tree lights on all the trees... I haven't managed to get over there this year with a camera but hope to do so at some point.

What's really funny is that when you're on the Beltway heading West, which is when you get the best view of the gleaming, imposing temple ahead, on one of the overpasses someone has painted "SURRENDER DOROTHY!" and as many times as this has been cleaned off, it always reappears.... :D

(I know AnnK and Dr Q will "get this," even if some of the rest of you don't!)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Just to add a footnote to the post and photo by NBS2....this is the Washington, DC Temple of the Church of Latter Day Saints (aka: Mormon Temple), which is picturesquely situated just off the Beltway (Rte 495) in Maryland.... It is a stunning sight by day or night, and right now during the holiday season the place is all lit up by Christmas tree lights on all the trees... I haven't managed to get over there this year with a camera but hope to do so at some point.

You'll be especially pleased this year. Normally it is just the visitor center grounds that are done, but this year they went back to also doing the "runway" to the temple itself. Also, blue is the primary color, instead of the traditional white.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know why, but this topic sounds like you're asking for contrast. I know you're not and that it'd be OK if I posted either darkness OR light, but anyway.....

And that church looks incredible. Very difficult to keep pristine white though, as I'm sure it'd get dirty.

Attachments

• MR Submission.jpg
    MR Submission.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 232

iAussie

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
Hot Entertainment

Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster!

I took this one the other night, then noticed the new assignment topic, thought it might fit the bill. Very impressive photos from everybody so far!

Canon Powershot S3 IS
Shutter Speed: 2 seconds
Aperture: f8
(Adjusted levels slightly in the Aperture demo)

Attachments

• CanonS3 1298 - Version 2 (1).jpg
    CanonS3 1298 - Version 2 (1).jpg
    175 KB · Views: 269

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Awesome Kölner Dom -hh, I wonder if you'd still be able to see the spire if you were standing at the base? Have been there, but don't really remember how close you can get. Was probably in an alcohol-induced stupor:)

wicked gummibear bozigle! How did you do it, if you don't mind me asking? LED and a clear gummibear?

Hi iAussie and welcome. nice first post.

wicked gummibear bozigle! How did you do it, if you don't mind me asking? LED and a clear gummibear?

I put the camera on tripod with 15 or 30s (can't remember and lost the metadata) exposure.
I sucked the gummibear(it get glossy and stick on the table...)
Then during the exposure in total darkness i played with a laser bean from my projector remote control (i usualy used it to play with my cats but thought of an other way to make use of it)
If i recall correct for this picture i kept the laser still horizontal...

i will add it at http://www.gummibearsincident.com when i got time

bozigle

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The Tower of London, taken from HMS Belfast.

Taken using my P&S as I was not carrying my DLSR (which I regretted). So:

Fuji F30, F/5, 1/4 second, ISO 400

Quite a lot of post processing in Aperture (even though it's a JPEG not RAW) to straighten the picture and draw more detail out of the darkness, then rebalance to hide some of the noise.

Attachments

• Tower Of London from HMS Belfast.jpg
    Tower Of London from HMS Belfast.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 249

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Taken with my trusty (yet soon to be replaced) Canon S50.
1/1000
f 4.0
University of Texas at Austin campus.

Attachments

• lightanddark.jpg
    lightanddark.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 209

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nobody thought my spiderweb was darkness?

Ok, here's two more. The 1st photo isn't so hot. It's just a shadow (dark) on the ground. The 2nd one probably suits the topic more.

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 226
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.