Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
i don't see why i'd spend 300US on this, seriously, what exactly does it do, most of my vidoes on my Mac are not great quality, why would i watch them on a TV??

i don't see the point in this iTV thing.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
i don't see why i'd spend 300US on this, seriously, what exactly does it do, most of my vidoes on my Mac are not great quality, why would i watch them on a TV??

ok seriously there are like 100 posts a day on here about iTV. you have been a member since nov. take literally 15 seconds and look in the forum, as the post above me illustrated there are many threads already going. sorry if a bit harsh, but seriously no need for another thread of this nature.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
ok seriously there are like 100 posts a day on here about iTV. you have been a member since nov. take literally 15 seconds and look in the forum, as the post above me illustrated there are many threads already going. sorry if a bit harsh, but seriously no need for another thread of this nature.

i've looked but i'm asking a specific question...

"why would i want to stream my videos from Mac to TV because most videos you have on your Mac are not the greatest quality, so why would i spend 350Canadian on this thing...???"

nobody has answered that yet.. all they've don was send me links with pics or rumours on what it does.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
nobody has answered that yet.. all they've don was send me links with pics or rumours on what it does.

We are trying to help you.

"why would i want to stream my videos from Mac to TV because most videos you have on your Mac are not the greatest quality, so why would i spend 350Canadian on this thing...???"

You would want to stream your videos from your Mac to your TV because then you could watch/listen/view any media on your Mac. Nothing else can do this yet. Instead of having a separate computer, the iTV just needs a Mac to connect with. You could buy a new computer, but they cost more.

iWinnipegger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
We are trying to help you.

You would want to stream your videos from your Mac to your TV because then you could watch/listen/view any media on your Mac. Nothing else can do this yet. Instead of having a separate computer, the iTV just needs a Mac to connect with. You could buy a new computer, but they cost more.

so your saying i can watch television on my Mac????

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC

Because when you come home from a long day at work, I'm sure you enjoy plopping down into your office chair and have a glass of wine while you watch your media on your relatively small-screened Mac. Personally, I'd prefer to come home, plop down on my plush couch, and stream my media from my Mac to my 50" plasma....but that's just me.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006

ok now to be honest here you did not ask the question you have listed in your second post when you first posted, as you can see. so perhaps next time if you want the answer you are now looking for simply ask it so you don't get a thread link as an answer questions like your first one posed.

In response to your second question, the reason is because many people have video, photos and songs on their computer of a much higher quality than that which you refer. we are not talking about youtube here or collegehumor.com, although i love those sites. we are talking about, as a very basic starting point, downloading movies from itunes, people taking photos and editing them for slide shows, and music saved from an innumerable set of sources. the ability to have a system transfer all that, preserve quality we see in an apple product, work well and as anyone of the threads you have read before has likely noted, provide the user with some still unknown features is a very useful item. Is it worth $300, quite possibly, but I do not know. lets wait and see what it has to offer.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Because when you come home from a long day at work, I'm sure you enjoy plopping down into your office chair and have a glass of wine while you watch your media on your relatively small-screened Mac. Personally, I'd prefer to come home, plop down on my plush couch, and stream my media from my Mac to my 50" plasma....but that's just me.
you are great dude. you always have a sharp wry answer.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
you are great dude. you always have a sharp wry answer.

When you're around as long as I've been and you see all the newbie questions over and over and over again who, in addition, don't know what a "search" function is for...you too can be as grouchy and wry as myself. :cool:

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
When you're around as long as I've been and you see all the newbie questions over and over and over again who, in addition, don't know what a "search" function is for...you too can be as grouchy and wry as myself. :cool:

I know how you feel. :)

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild

It is your money, if you don't feel like spending it, fine.

I can certainly see the advantages of streaming video output from my Mac to my TV, be it watching EyeTV recordings, or just that *p* japanese animation video file I downloaded somewhere.

It may not be the highest quality, but I don't care. My TV is only capable of SD resolution anyway.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005

right... cant do it on a mac... but I been doing it on Windows for awhile now....

Linksys came out with the same exact kind of thing 3 years ago and failed miserably. Stream your files from your PC and worked pretty nice.

Xbox360 has been doing it since it got released...

Honestly, I dont see what is so great and innovative iTV is either. I wont be plopping down any money this device. Seems like another novelty item to me.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Honestly, I dont see what is so great and innovative iTV is either. I wont be plopping down any money this device. Seems like another novelty item to me.

Sound's similar to when the iPod was released ;). Seriously music streamers in the UK cost about £300, this is going to be less than £200 and it does video and photos too.

iTunes is mainly used for music due to it's lack of movie format support (*cough* avi), but if Apple can get you to add movies to it, then it will be a huge success as it has the ease of use the other systems don't.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Seriously music streamers in the UK cost about £300, this is going to be less than £200 and it does video and photos too.

The linksys one that I saw 3 years ago before it was discontinued was about 150 USD... that translate to about 70 pounds?

An Xbox 360 costs about 275 pounds I believe. And it plays games too ;) iTV wont be playing games :p

I mean seriously... wow... music, video, and photos on my TV? Microsoft has been doing it since 2004. I dont see why people are so hyped about it. Obviously nobody knows the possibilities with Windows Media Center...

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Ahh... found the Linksys thing I was talking about...

It actually does a lot more than what the current rumors of iTV. It basically acts as a damn DVR as well!

Linksys Media Center

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Well this costs $299, and this by DLink costs £180, which is similar to what the iTV will cost. This is why i said it's like the iPod, these are cheaper but I imagine difficult to use.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
with neither of them using Windows Media Center and having the company having to develop the software, I wont be surprised if they wont be easy to use...

My Xbox 360 syncs up with my computer just fine and is extremely easy to use... costs more, but at least I can play games ;)

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I am sure Apple's implementation of iTV will be like the introduction of the iPod to an already established MP3 player market.

They simply do it better, make it simpler, and make the masses warm up to the idea again when they gave it up for dead from trying other similar products.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

But these movies made for your computer are going to look rather crap on a 50" Plasma. Having it 50" diagonally would only accentuate it's crapness. ;)

I can see streaming videos being OK for standard definition TV though. Most people still have these types of TVs, so the images will still look OK and/or not too small.

ok now to be honest here you did not ask the question you have listed in your second post when you first posted, as you can see. so perhaps next time if you want the answer you are now looking for simply ask it so you don't get a thread link as an answer questions like your first one posed.

Actually, it sort of did. That's what I got out of his original post. Not everyone here is going to proofread what they wrote. When posting at a forum like this, it's better for you to learn to interpret, I think.

I mean seriously... wow... music, video, and photos on my TV? Microsoft has been doing it since 2004. I dont see why people are so hyped about it. Obviously nobody knows the possibilities with Windows Media Center...

I know the answer to your question, but I don't want to tell you what I think about some of the people here because it's not very nice. :p

iTV is nothing new at all. However, none of those other systems had an Apple symbol on it, nor do they share Apple's "ease-of-use". This statement will be made despite the fact we haven't really used it ourselves or know a lot about the UI, nor have most of these people tried (or even heard of) any of the alternatives. D'oh!

Same with the iPhone. "I want an iPhone! What features will it have!! How much will it cost!?! I'm ready to hand over all my money to you, Steve!! Have my baby, Steve!!!" Um....when was the last time I considered buying a non-existent piece of technology that nobody knows the specific features of, nobody knows the price of, and that nobody has seen yet except those engineers and design people at Apple HQ actually working on it?

I can tell you that my answer is "Never." In any other situation, we'd think this sort of thinking was absurd.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
But these movies made for your computer are going to look rather crap on a 50" Plasma. Having it 50" diagonally would only accentuate it's crapness. ;)

I can see streaming videos being OK for standard definition TV though. Most people still have these types of TVs, so the images will still look OK and/or not too small.

This is why I'm curious about the fact that when displayed the iTV had only Hi-Def outputs. It seemed designed for Hi-Def TVs, but where is the content?

So that's why I'm in a wait and see mode. There's not yet enough info to know what exactly the iTV is for. Hopefully at macworld all will become clear.

Then we can say it sucks or not (and perhaps have our comments thrown back into our faces 4-5 years down the line :D )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.