Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Hey all you Chemistry people out there, I call upon you to assist me, please.

Mg(NO3)2;N2;NH3;BH3

I need to write an essay on the intra-molecular bonding in each and how this in turn influences the inter-molecular forces within the molecules mentioned above.

Then I have to talk about the solubility of each within a polar/non-polar medium. compare and contrast how the shape affect this solubility.

I know the basics of teh first part except for NH3. Does it use Hydrogen bonding or instantaneous dipole van der Waal (London) forces? Secondly: How does intra molecular bonding influence inter-molecualr bonding in general?

Finally: In general how does shape affect solubility? Does it have to do with valency?

Also: what does Mg(NO3)2 look like (the molecular structure)
:D Hope you guys can help:apple:

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Hey it's never to early to learn! Sorry, I can't be of any more help to ya. I hope you get the help you need. Best of luck!

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
WIkipedia explains things at third year university level :( I'm in grade 11 and need someone to help in basicer terms than those of the wiki!

Thats completely incorrect. Wikipedia should not even be consulted at University level. It is useful for general knowledge of a subject only.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Janet Stemwedel is posting about molecule polarity on her blog right now. She's a chem Ph.D. and a great writer, so I'd trust what she says.

And this weekend, she says she's going to write about intermolecular forces, so there you go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.