Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Not near an Apple Store
Got a question, I'm torn between a mbp and the high end white mb

I'm not a heavy image user, just more multimedia/ download/ music/ ms office/ surf net/ email/ person

I think the w/mb would suit me more but just had one question. I would use it between school and home while having it connected to an external 19" ws monitor. Is the gma950 powerful enough to drive this external display without slow down in effects??

Also, looking at the price of this mb, it seems very similar to a highend pb g4 that I could probably find somewhere. Does anyone have experience going from the pb g4 to the mb telling me which is a better buy/investment? I really like the pb/mbp enclosures haha

thanks

p.s. previous mac is 12" ibook g4

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
sounds like to me the MacBook is more than powerful enough for your needs...sounds perfect.

Being a PowerBook user myself, I am biased toward the aluminan clad 'books, but the MacBook is definitely faster and there is no reason for you to buy a PowerPC Mac at this point.

EDIT: oh yeah...about the 19" widescreen display - the MacBook could handle it no problem. It can handle up to the 23" Cinema Display with ease.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
MacBook

Can't wait for Santa Rosa MacBooks? Gotta have it now? MacBook is radically faster than any PB G4. If you do buy now, I hope you'll invest in Leopard as soon as it ships because it's gonna make a big better difference.

jhero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Not near an Apple Store
Cool, thanks for the replies,

School is just about to finish with exams coming soon and I guess I can wait another 2 months for wwdc just to see if at all anything emerges :)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Thank You For Deciding To Be Patient — You'll Be So Glad You Did

Cool, thanks for the replies,

School is just about to finish with exams coming soon and I guess I can wait another 2 months for wwdc just to see if at all anything emerges :)
Whew! That was close. Glad you decided to be patient. There will definitely be a MacBook refresh shipping with Leopard and iLife '08 by end of June so hang in there.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Whew! That was close. Glad you decided to be patient. There will definitely be a MacBook refresh shipping with Leopard and iLife '08 by end of June so hang in there.

Yes yes. "Listen to Multimedia"...

*Rolls On Floor Laughing My Arse Off* (For all you people who don't know what ROFLMAO means)

Yes, if you can, wait. That's what I'm doing. Then again, I've been waiting ever since the original MBP was released... Just never get around to buying.

Anyway, Multimedia has been this confident many times before, to no avail. Octo core MP's at MWSF? Merom MBP's? Yes, there is a very good chance that a Santa Rosa Macbook will appear at least before the end of July I would think, even more chance of a MBP. But, with Apple you can never be sure.

Sure, wait, but if it doesn't happen, don't yell at us! ;) And if you wait, which I still hold out you should, you could be waiting for a long time.

Oh, and iLife '08??? You sure you don't mean '07? Or is there something I haven't read yet?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
iLife '08 Is Likely Next Version Name

iLife '08??? You sure you don't mean '07? Or is there something I haven't read yet?
I doubt Apple would release an iLife '07 in the middle of '07. I predict the next iLife will be called iLife '08 and be Leopard optimized. Although it will work with 10.4.9 Tiger as well, not all the new features will be available without Leopard. That way it won't need to be revised again until January MacWorld 2009 at the soonest.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I'm so confused...

Why does every post relating to the name changes magically disappear???

I like my new name! Really I do! I like being Astounding!

NOTE: Please don't delete me! I'm too young to die!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I doubt Apple would release an iLife '07 in the middle of '07. I predict the next iLife will be called iLife '08 and be Leopard optimized. Although it will work with 10.4.9 Tiger as well, not all the new features will be available without Leopard. That way it won't need to be revised again until January MacWorld 2009 at the soonest.

when ilife 06 is updated, i'm betting the year will be dropped altogether and be released simply as ilife.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
8 Months And No Refresh? That Would Be Almost A New Record.

are you Steve Jobs?? if not, then it's a misleading statement :p
November 8, 2006 to July 1, 2007 is almost 8 months. That would be almost the longest for time between refreshes in that class Mac just over 9 months. Previous dates for new MacBook/iBooks:

May 16, 2006 First MacBook to Nov. 8, 2006 = 6 months to the C2D MacBook
July 26, 2005 Last iBook G4 = 9+ months to the first Intel CD MacBook
Oct. 19, 2004 Third iBook G4 = 9+ months
April 19, 2004 Second iBook G4 = 6 months
Oct. 22, 2003 the First iBook G4 = 6 months

So from a historical point of view, it is highly unlikely the shift to a Santa Rosa MacBook would happen any later than August. I'm just thinking it should be ready by July based on Intel's shipping plans. Don't you think?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
So from a historical point of view, it is highly unlikely the shift to a Santa Rosa MacBook would happen any later than August. I'm just thinking it should be ready by July based on Intel's shipping plans. Don't you think?

i agree with all that but it is still pure speculation, anyways Time will Tell :D

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
i'm waiting because i think the upgrades are worth it...buy now if you need it tho

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Got a question, I'm torn between a mbp and the high end white mb

I'm not a heavy image user, just more multimedia/ download/ music/ ms office/ surf net/ email/ person

I think the w/mb would suit me more but just had one question. I would use it between school and home while having it connected to an external 19" ws monitor. Is the gma950 powerful enough to drive this external display without slow down in effects??

Also, looking at the price of this mb, it seems very similar to a highend pb g4 that I could probably find somewhere. Does anyone have experience going from the pb g4 to the mb telling me which is a better buy/investment? I really like the pb/mbp enclosures haha

thanks

p.s. previous mac is 12" ibook g4

I went through the same thing when I finally decided to get the Macbook white 2.0ghz with 2gig of ram and 160gig HD I couldn’t be happier.

"Lucky" waremaster I like it LOL

PDiPietro

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
I agree to wait if you can. Something will be coming.

(I also want to see my user name attachment :p)

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
(Cries because now back to boring, plain old robotic Erasmus. No longer astounding :()

Omnius won't be pleased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.