Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outlandos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
My new 17'' MBP is on it's way and I would like to be able to upgrade the RAM from 2 to 4 GB the first day.

Which brand of RAM should I buy and what's the best place to get it - I live in The Netherlands but i can order online as long as they ship woldwide.

Cheers

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Crucial is reliable but higher priced than some.
OWC (Macsales.com) in the USA has the RAM about $225 for the 4 Gb kit, apparently will ship overseas if you are willing to assume the risk of loss and the cost of your own country's import procedure.
Orca in England seems to be reliable based on others' posts, don't know their prices and have not dealt with them personally.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

outlandos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Crucial is reliable but higher priced than some.
OWC (Macsales.com) in the USA has the RAM about $225 for the 4 Gb kit, apparently will ship overseas if you are willing to assume the risk of loss and the cost of your own country's import procedure.
Orca in England seems to be reliable based on others' posts, don't know their prices and have not dealt with them personally.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

But all i can find in other posts are the 4GB kits, but I just need 2 more GB right, as the MBP comes along with 2 GB RAM from the start.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
i usually get mine from newegg. they tend to have really good prices and i also like the fact that there's quite a bit of reviews from mac users.

lkraven

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2006
But all i can find in other posts are the 4GB kits, but I just need 2 more GB right, as the MBP comes along with 2 GB RAM from the start.

If you are looking to go from 2gb to 4gb, you will need to buy a 4gb kit (2x2gb).

I am almost certain what you have installed is two 1gb modules, and since you only have two slots, you will actually need to replace both modules with 2gb modules to go from 2gb to 4gb. You can't just "add" 2gb of ram.

outlandos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007

JNB

macrumors 604
Damn that's cheap, how come Apple asks 10 times a much for it?!

Because Apple is like any other company...They like to take advantage of the not so smart folks out there to bring in a buck ;)

Actually, like most OEM's they offer additional accessories or parts not manufactured by them (in this case, RAM) strictly as a convenience to their customers. They're not in the memory biz, and there's an overhead to keeping it in stock, inventorying it, etc. Consequently, you pay for the "convenience" of them adding it for you. If you're willing to pay that premium, fine, but I bet they'd just as soon you got it elsewhere.

My company does exactly the same thing; charge a premium for COTS equipment the client can readily find elsewhere. If they expect us to provide it for them, though, they'll pay for that extra convenience. Pretty standard practice, really.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Perhaps the price may be different, but the ram and the company is very reliable once you have the ram. When I checked a couple days ago, 4GB was $370, now it's showing as $300! Anyone else get this price? I may have to jum p on this right now!

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
well im planning to order a 17" MBP in a month or 6 weeks, and i want to max out the RAM. what im wondering is, what the hell do you do with the stock ram after the upgrade? (apple AU pricing is an extra $1000 for the extra 2gb, or about $400 for 4GB total from a third party, so ordering it with 4gb from the get go is NOT an option).

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Some companies, such as OWC, will give you a rebate for sending in the RAM you don't use anymore...some people said $25 per dimm, so $50 back on purchase. I plan to keep my ram when I upgrade so that if I need to send in for repairs or have issues, Apple won't blame it on the third party ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.