Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone else getting this problem with coverflow:

On some of my albums, the cover art will show in the coverflow but not in the thumbnail album view. Or vice versa, or not in either, but will show up when playing the album. It's not a big deal, but it is frustrating. I'm thinking there might be a picture format issue, or resolution/size requirements. Any ideas?

Fluidmusic00

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Central Florida
I had this issue. All I did was replaced the album art in iTunes then resync'd and the problem was fixed.

Maybe there was a format or size issue that I fixed when I replaced the art in iTunes?

cdd543

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2006
Denver
Anyone else getting this problem with coverflow:

On some of my albums, the cover art will show in the coverflow but not in the thumbnail album view. Or vice versa, or not in either, but will show up when playing the album. It's not a big deal, but it is frustrating. I'm thinking there might be a picture format issue, or resolution/size requirements. Any ideas?

Mine has done this several times. I can turn it and it goes away.

BoomKing

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Beware of same titles

Be careful when you have albums of the same name (i.e. Greatest Hits). I had a situation where when I would play songs from Greatest Hits by The Doors, it would appear in "non-coverflow", but when I would switch to coverflow it would change it to the Greatest Hits cover by Bone Thugs -N- Harmony. All I had to do was rename the album to be more specific, but it got me a couple of times.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I was getting a bit frustrated with this, or something similar. The scenario:
I have fixed up albums in iTunes so its coverflow displays the artwork for an album. i sync, and the iPhone coverflow shows the blank for this album. So here's what i found: when iTunes thinks songs belong together, as an album, and one song in the "album" has artwork, the album is displayed together in coverflow with that artwork. On the iPhone, it displays a placeholder unless ALL of the songs have the artwork. I scrolled through coverflow on the iphone finding the albums i knew had artwork, then went into iTunes and copied the image out of the one song with the artwork, then did edit multiple and pasted the artwork there. This put the art in ALL of the songs, then after a sync the art showed up properly in coverflow on the iPhone. This was awfully tricky to figure out, and i only happened across it from a hint from a tangentially related thread elsewhere.

It would be quite nice if the two versions of coverflow behaved the same, because i was relying on this when i was adding art, assuming what showed up in iTunes would be what showed up on the iPhone. Hope this helps.

briananderson

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Be careful when you have albums of the same name (i.e. Greatest Hits). I had a situation where when I would play songs from Greatest Hits by The Doors, it would appear in "non-coverflow", but when I would switch to coverflow it would change it to the Greatest Hits cover by Bone Thugs -N- Harmony. All I had to do was rename the album to be more specific, but it got me a couple of times.

The exact thing happened to me, cept it was a Beatles album, and not the doors. I was showing my wife trying to impress her with how the coverflow works and said, "See, you click on the album cover and it flips around and lists all the songs in that album".

Then she responded "Oh, I didn't know that the Beatles originally sang "Mo' Murda". Doh!

Turns out both the Beatles and Bone Thugs had the same album name, which confused iTunes. I just changed the album to "Beatles Greatest Hits" and "Bone Thugs N Harmony Greatest Hits", and it came out much better.

For me it ended up being a weekend project cleaning up my library... but it was worth it!

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
That was it!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I had a combination of same album names (i.e. a bunch of Greatest Hits albums) and multiple songs from the same album without all having the artwork. Took a bit of cleaning up, but now, it's perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.