Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NyMetsFan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Rumors has been speculated now there is a possibility that the Mac Mini will see an update also a long with the iPod Nano/Touch. The Macbooks and Macbook Pros will be updated a couple months from now.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I can't help feeling that unless they are going to do something really radically new with the mini they won't bother announcing it. not to mention it's far more likely it'll get bumped alongside the other macs...

I wonder if they'll do a worldwide discount of the Apple TV too, keeping the price high in every region but the US just seems plain unfair

PaulexPC

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Well if this rumor is true my cash is sitting in a pile on my desk, ready to go!

I have gone through my garage and sold $800 worth of stuff over the past sixty days to help pay for the new mini.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
One can reasonably expect, I feel, that if Apple moves to the nVidia chipset for the MacBook and MacBook Pro, they will do the same for the Mac Mini and iMac.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Honestly, ATI has done a better job coding their GPU offerings for the Mac, I say, go with them.

Mac Mini should see an update to say the G33/5 chipset and 800Mhz DDR2. Also, we may see eSATA on the Mini. BluRay support may come later this year with 10.5.6, let's hope that happens, then my ATV is going away.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Nvidia has never had and never will have a license to make laptop chipsets. After having to pawn the SLI license to Intel just for the right to make mid range ATX board chipsets, they don't have any bargaining chips left.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Honestly, ATI has done a better job coding their GPU offerings for the Mac, I say, go with them.

The problem with going with ATI is that most of their chipset efforts are aimed at working with AMD CPUs. As such, there are very few systemboards with ATI chipsets that use Intel CPUs.

Also, with Apple adopting CUDA, that means they need nVidia CPUs (at least for now). And systemboards with nVidia chipsets using Intel CPUs are much more plentiful.

So I think Apple will adopt the nVidia mobile chipset for the next release of the iMac and MacBook Pro (with a discrete nVidia GPU) and the Mac Mini and MacBook (with an integrated nVidia GPU).

It is true that ATI right now has better Core-Animation performance, but Apple and nVidia would assuredly be working together to improve it - both with and without CUDA.

bub9001

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
It is going to be a Mac Mini end of life party come Sept. But they will bring out a new Mid-range Media Hub with a Blue Ray drive option. That is Mini like Form factor, with faster chip set and ATI HD Graphics Card. No Tablet or MacBook Updates till Nov.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
It is going to be a Mac Mini end of life party come Sept. But they will bring out a new Mid-range Media Hub with a Blue Ray drive option. That is Mini like Form factor, with faster chip set and ATI HD Graphics Card. No Tablet or MacBook Updates till Nov.

Not a chance. if you are so desperate for blu-ray you can get an external drive that supports it, naturally no guarantee it'll run discs, but there is a chance that third party media center software could eventually implement it.

bub9001

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Not a chance. if you are so desperate for blu-ray you can get an external drive that supports it, naturally no guarantee it'll run discs, but there is a chance that third party media center software could eventually implement it.

LOL, I guess you think that Blu-ray is not a selling point. It's Magic and we will include pixie dust with every Blu-ray player purchase. Oh and by the way I don't care if it has it or not, I just think it might. Steve seems to think what ever he is getting ready to release will corner that area of the market. So why not put a Media Hub out with a Blu-ray and corner the market on TV HD viewing, Sony can't seem to get it done, Why not Apple. That's my guess for now, hope you don't think I am still serious about the Pixie Dust.:D

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
jeez, it seems like everything's going to be updated, except the imac/mp

There is nothing to update on the Mac Pro, other then standard HDD and memory capacity. There will be no CPU or systemboard updates available until the dual-CPU Core i7/Nehalem parts ship, which won't be until Q4 of this year or Q1 of next.

As for the iMac, it too will move to the mobile nVidia platform (if that is what Apple adopts for the MacBook (Pro) and Mac Mini), but it can hold off until around WWDC 2009 and Snow Leopard to do so thanks to the "Santa Rosa Special" update back in June. So in the interim, the only likely (or unlikely, as the case may prove to be) update would be a quad-core CPU for $100-500 more then the current dual-core 3.06GHz unit.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
The problem with going with ATI is that most of their chipset efforts are aimed at working with AMD CPUs. As such, there are very few systemboards with ATI chipsets that use Intel CPUs.

The 2600 mobile chip is very popular, as is the 3400, which the current VAIO's use among other things. ATI only makes the mobile GPU, they don't make the chipset because Intel hasn't licensed the socket to anyone else.

Also, with Apple adopting CUDA, that means they need nVidia CPUs (at least for now). And systemboards with nVidia chipsets using Intel CPUs are much more plentiful.

Apple decided to go with OpenCL as opposed to CUDA.

So I think Apple will adopt the nVidia mobile chipset for the next release of the iMac and MacBook Pro (with a discrete nVidia GPU) and the Mac Mini and MacBook (with an integrated nVidia GPU).

Since Intel doesn't license the mobile socket as mentioned above, Nvidia doesn't make mobile chipsets (for anyone) either. :p

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Rumors has been speculated now there is a possibility that the Mac Mini will see an update also a long with the iPod Nano/Touch. The Macbooks and Macbook Pros will be updated a couple months from now.

And the source of this well written rumor is...???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.