Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fallinangel

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
The most simple thing would probably be to extract the audio with AudioHijack!
This method doesn't even require you to rip the DVDs to your hard disc first, however the recording time is equal to the playtime of the content that you want to extract!

Furthermore, AudioHijack offers a great deal of lossless and lossy audio formats to save your content as!

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Audio Hijack introduces generational loss. If you don't care about that, then you're fine. This is probably the easiest and fastest way to go about getting it.

If you do care about generational loss, use Mac the Ripper to get the audio off of your discs. The audio that you get from your discs will probably be in either PCM or AC3 format.

To do this in Mac the Ripper, set it to Title Only (if you want the entire title to be a single audio file) or Title - Chapter (if you want one chapter per audio file -- this is what I usually do. Then select the "D" button (for "demux"), then hit the "Streams" button. In the stream selection drawer, select only the AC3 track you want (or PCM if that's all there is). Then, extract the title or chapters you want. You'll need to extract one chapter at a time if you want them to be separate. Once you have the AC3 or PCM files extracted, you'll need to convert them to a listenable format.

For AC3, get the freeware app mAC3Dec to convert them to WAV or AIFF or MP3 or whatever else you want. For PCM, get PCM2AIFF, or AIFF from PCM and convert them to AIFF format, which you can import into iTunes and convert to whatever you want. If you have the choice, get AC3 files from Mac the Ripper -- those files are way easier to deal with than PCMs.

mackymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanx Nadyne: I appreciate your detail in the processes.
The new version of Mac the Ripper 2.6.6 sould be OK?
I havent tried it yet, however I will tonite or tomorrow.
ttul.
Brian

Audio Hijack introduces generational loss. If you don't care about that, then you're fine. This is probably the easiest and fastest way to go about getting it.

If you do care about generational loss, use Mac the Ripper to get the audio off of your discs. The audio that you get from your discs will probably be in either PCM or AC3 format.

To do this in Mac the Ripper, set it to Title Only (if you want the entire title to be a single audio file) or Title - Chapter (if you want one chapter per audio file -- this is what I usually do. Then select the "D" button (for "demux"), then hit the "Streams" button. In the stream selection drawer, select only the AC3 track you want (or PCM if that's all there is). Then, extract the title or chapters you want. You'll need to extract one chapter at a time if you want them to be separate. Once you have the AC3 or PCM files extracted, you'll need to convert them to a listenable format.

For AC3, get the freeware app mAC3Dec to convert them to WAV or AIFF or MP3 or whatever else you want. For PCM, get PCM2AIFF, or AIFF from PCM and convert them to AIFF format, which you can import into iTunes and convert to whatever you want. If you have the choice, get AC3 files from Mac the Ripper -- those files are way easier to deal with than PCMs.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
Audio Hijack Pro is good, I use it to get Youtube tracks. Last one I did was a Rammstein song "Stein Um Stein" Live. Sounds great.

For DVDs, I would probably rip it in Handbrake to Mp4, then open Quicktime pro and split each track up. I would then save the audio in quicktime pro to apple lossless or whatever it has, and convert it in iTunes to mp3.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Thanx Nadyne: I appreciate your detail in the processes.
The new version of Mac the Ripper 2.6.6 sould be OK?
I havent tried it yet, however I will tonite or tomorrow.

Yup, the current version is fine -- that's what I use. In fact, I've got a new concert DVD that I plan to rip this weekend so that I can listen to it in iTunes and on my iPod. :)

mackymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well, this is going to sound lame, but anyway ... :)

I just got the 30th anniversary edition of "The Stranger" by Billy Joel, which has three discs: the original album on CD, a 1977 concert from just before the release of the album on CD, and a DVD of a BBC2 television appearance. I've ripped the two CDs, now it's just getting the DVD done.

Not at all. Billy Joel put out a lot of good work.
Do you also put the DVD into iTunes, as a movie?

I noticed on your web page, wow you have a lot
of music. Nice. You keep that up you will need another processor, lol.
Do you get to listen to it all?? :)

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Do you also put the DVD into iTunes, as a movie?

No, just the audio. I rarely watch stuff.

I noticed on your web page, wow you have a lot
of music. Nice. You keep that up you will need another processor, lol.
Do you get to listen to it all?? :)

I listen pretty frequently. When I was in college, I was a DJ, which is when my CD-buying habit really took off. I walk to work every day, which takes a little over a half-hour each way, so that's my prime music/podcast listening time. I travel a lot, so I listen to my iPhone on the plane, and I listen to iTunes in my hotel room instead of flipping on the television.

My current project is to listen to every single one of my CDs, make sure that they're properly ripped and tagged in iTunes (I've got lots of MP3s in iTunes from when I first got an iPod), and then scanning them into Delicious Library. I'm pretty sure that I'll finish that sometime in 2028. :eek:

mackymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No, just the audio. I rarely watch stuff.

I listen pretty frequently. When I was in college, I was a DJ, which is when my CD-buying habit really took off. I walk to work every day, which takes a little over a half-hour each way, so that's my prime music/podcast listening time. I travel a lot, so I listen to my iPhone on the plane, and I listen to iTunes in my hotel room instead of flipping on the television.

My current project is to listen to every single one of my CDs, make sure that they're properly ripped and tagged in iTunes (I've got lots of MP3s in iTunes from when I first got an iPod), and then scanning them into Delicious Library. I'm pretty sure that I'll finish that sometime in 2028. :eek:

Yea 2028 sounds about right...... I'm confident you will get it done though.
Do you have a favorite style of music?
Any concerts that that you have liked?
Well it is Friday, off til Tue now.
Later, have a great weekend. :)

mackymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yea 2028 sounds about right...... I'm confident you will get it done though.
Do you have a favorite style of music?
Any concerts that that you have liked?
Well it is Friday, off til Tue now.
Later, have a great weekend. :)

HI: Hope you can help.......:confused:
I have been working with the Mac the Ripper. After I select AC3 and the title to rip off. On the bottom of the screen are 2 selections (SChpt & EChpt3). Do I select both of these for each chapter. I am getting a Video folder that is empty.
I went thru MacUpdate, and got the mAC3dec. However it is listed in my downloads, however can't seem to get it onto the desk top to use to convert the files from Mac the Ripper. :confused:

jkarp

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
FYI - the latest beta of Mac the Ripper will automatically split up each chapter so you have individual audio files instead of one big file. It will create a bunch of AC3 files, then you can use AudialHub to convert the AC3's to MP3. You'll need to search around a little to find these 2 programs, but they're easily available. I ripped the audio from a Black Crowes DVD this weekend to MP3 very easily using these 2 programs.

...josh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.