Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Yesterday I wanted to design a sort of case that is made to hold things a designer would want to take with him/herself.

I slept on it and have came up with this...

A 2 part case which folds out sideways then one side of the case opens holding a load of pens, pencils, ipod etc... un that same side will be the left over space from the hinged equipment holder. This space could hold a few stuff but I thought it would be best holding papers, designs, ideas, sketches etc...
On the other side will be a leather padded cutout where the laptop it kept. Also to protect the top of the laptop, the back of the equipment holder from the left side of the case will be padded leather so when it folds onto the laptop its safe and sound.

I may have confused a few people explaining it there but here are some quick pictures to show what I mean.

As for materials I think the shell would be aluminum as its fairly lightweight and strong and can protect the users possessions well. The outer side could be either black glass, black plastic, leather or wood (bamboo could be nice and is green because it grows so fast).

Ive tried to show the motion of how it folds out in the pictures.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Interesting concept. However, I find carrying a portfolio bag separate from laptop bag more flexible.

Portfolio bags comes in too many sizes, can't be limited to laptop size.

Most people are not going to carry both portfolio and laptop 100% of the time.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
How heavy would that be to carry? also, it looks a little awkward to carry. what are your thoughts on it.

I agree that limiting your portfolio to a laptop size might not be the best idea.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Are you thinking that this would function as a portfolio case (i.e. for job interviews) or a day-to-day briefcase?

I have had quite a few design students put together formal cases that contain their portfolio and a laptop that are not unlike your sketch once they graduate and start the job hunt. They package the two together because half of their work is on-screen prototypes and they can seamlessly move from screen to boards in their interview presentation.

of course, I am finding that most employers would rather just see everything on a laptop these days (and seem less interested in seeing print work) ... and many designers are forgoing the "portfolio case" of loose projects for a designed and bound viewbook (because everything looks good small, right!?).

As a day-to-day briefcase I would have no use for all of that storage space. A macbook, a roll of tracing paper and a pencil have worked just fine for me all these years! That stuff easily fits into my bag.

I do like the idea, however. I have been pondering getting a woodworking friend of mine to make something like this for my macbook air. http://www.rainerspehl.com/project.php?nr=59

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I would say that its over designed (I've got a background in product design) and over complicated for what you're trying to do. There's too many foldy/hinge/flappy bits to be practical for most people. You could have easily made the same space with a 'slip case' (maybe even collapsable for when not in use) at the back/underneath the 'breif case part' making it both quicker to remove the laptop and easier to manufacture.

Just think about it this way - how do you get your work/laptop from it.
yours - open strap (assuming there is one), fold open (needs desk space) open lid, unstrap work/laptop, remove work/laptop, close lid, fold shut, maybe strap again - number of moves = 5-7/8 moves each (10-16 total) if not done at same time if done at the same time anythng upto 12 moves.

My simplified version - laptop - open strap (if there is one), lift flap, unstrap laptop (if there is one) remove laptop, close flap - number of moves = 5 tops and no extra space needed to open it.
get files - open briefcase, unstrap files if necessary, remove work, close case - moves 4. Total in worse case scenario 9 moves.
It also doesn't require a space for 2 briefcases - can you really see yourself in a meeting where theres enough space to open something to the width of 2 briefcases just to get out your laptop/work?.

For me personally its got too much storage space, if I go to a meeting where its discussion/brain storming about a job then all I take is a notepad (in a leather folder thing) and pen(s), plus my phone (which can do everything the iphone/ipod touch can do) - unless of course they want me to work on site (not easy with my cad work). I would never take an ipod or similar to a meeting, a laptop is only really taken when I have to show work and a decent laptop bag can cover all my needs and offers roughly the same storage as yours while probably being more compact than your design.

Any of my printed presentation work in my case is generally created in a3 (or larger) size, which I have a portfolio for and your design wouldn't cater for, or if its smaller I can fit in my 'notepad' or use a smaller portfolio case which can also hold my notepad :).

I will admit I am sorely tempted by the vaio p (it fits in suit jacket pocket) but its just too stupidly priced to be a worthwhile investment, knock the price in half and sony would have a sale, so that I always have a pc with me though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.