Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of them are just Vue pictures. but the photo of The Hills, is way too dark IMHO. looks photoshopped. Otherwise there arent any "interesting pictures" that I can see. Vue images aside.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong but a lot of them are just Vue pictures. but the photo of The Hills, is way too dark IMHO. looks photoshopped. Otherwise there arent any "interesting pictures" that I can see. Vue images aside.

On first page alone there are 9 that are photographs, sorry they aren't sort :eek: you'll just have to go through them there aren't many and I have a comment on all it will say if it is a photograph.

This one was taken on canon eos that uses film, I'm a casual photographer and don't take it overly serious but would like to start. I like how this looks what do u think.

http://SamaravsAlma.deviantart.com/art/Dougal-138014303

Also I know quite a bit about how cameras like how dslrs work and aperture/shutter speeds etc to take certain shots but obviously its the persons talent not camera that makes a good picture so wonder if anything is there that shows promise to maybe help make me decide in getting a camera to properly learn.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Most of the photos have the subject in the dead centre which kinda limited what you can do with the photo. Unless you're doing macro work try experimenting a bit more with composition.

Also your colours are very muted but lack the proper subject to make them pop or look interesting.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Most of the photos have the subject in the dead centre which kinda limited what you can do with the photo. Unless you're doing macro work try experimenting a bit more with composition.

Also your colours are very muted but lack the proper subject to make them pop or look interesting.

Thanks, I'll try experiment with rule of thirds. Is it ever ok to really have a center subject apart from maybe macro. Who actually decided it is better not to have subjects in center. I admit it does make photos more interesting though.

As for colours deviantart seems to desaturate after I upload. Any tips to counter this other than over saturate image b4 upload

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Who actually decided it is better not to have subjects in center. I admit it does make photos more interesting though.

There's no 'rule'... in the sense that driving on one side of the road is a rule. But there's a long history of aesthetics in art, as painters 'discovered' perspective, geometry, what you might call the mathematics of art. The 'golden section', when applied to paintings, produces results that are thought to be aesthetically satisfying. A lot of photographs that 'work' will conform to the rule of thirds... but it's just one tool in the toolbox. For a overview of the subject, check out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
A lot of people also tend to misunderstand the "rule" of thirds. If you only have one thing of interest in the photo, putting that at one of the "third" points often looks artificial. The idea is to have an overall interesting composition, but with a point of particular interest at (or near) the 1/3 line. A head shot type of portrait might be centered, but with the eyes falling along the 1/3; etc.

But then, along the lines of what Doylem said, if you're always putting your main point of interest right on a 1/3 or 2/3 dividing line then it looks as silly as always having it exactly centered.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys, keep up the criticism/praise. I'll keep these points in mind for future uploads.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
There are no hard and fast rule around photography but there are certain things that will help make the photo standout or be more pleasing to the eye. The golden ratio is one of them and can be a useful idea to understand.

To be more specific your daisy photo at http://samaravsalma.deviantart.com/art/Daisy-138887355

The photo is perfectly fine with the subject in the middle however you also have a lot of clutter i.e. the grass passing in front of it, the other daisies that have lost their petals. This takes points away from the photo and makes it very not very interesting. Also the angle you took the photo is slightly high which doesn't give the photo a 3d feel and everything feels very flat. The lighting and colours are again very muted which doesn't really help the flower standout. Lastly you can probably get closer to the daisy.

I have attached a similar photo of a daisy I have in my library. It is not very good but it does show you what I mean in a more visual sense.

Attachments

• IMG_5419.jpg
    IMG_5419.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 51

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
There are no hard and fast rule around photography but there are certain things that will help make the photo standout or be more pleasing to the eye. The golden ratio is one of them and can be a useful idea to understand.

To be more specific your daisy photo at http://samaravsalma.deviantart.com/art/Daisy-138887355

The photo is perfectly fine with the subject in the middle however you also have a lot of clutter i.e. the grass passing in front of it, the other daisies that have lost their petals. This takes points away from the photo and makes it very not very interesting. Also the angle you took the photo is slightly high which doesn't give the photo a 3d feel and everything feels very flat. The lighting and colours are again very muted which doesn't really help the flower standout. Lastly you can probably get closer to the daisy.

I have attached a similar photo of a daisy I have in my library. It is not very good but it does show you what I mean in a more visual sense.

Thanks, as for colours I did edit but also the upload seems to desaturate. As for being closer I don't think it was possible it was taken on my phone so limited macro distance. If I was too close it would be out of focus :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.