Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipman2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
i dont really know where else to post this problem, yahoo answers never helps, and i dont know any other forums with many knowledgable people that likely use computers too much. anyway, heres my question:

basically, can looking at lcds in certain conditions mess around with your eyes?

after looking at the retina display on both the ipod 4g and the iphone 4 for a long time, like while watching video, or playing games, i have noticed that my far-away vision is blurry for a while after. this does not happen when looking at other, lower pixel density screens like ds's and older iphones, and computers. has anybody else experienced this? could the "retina display" ironically be destroying my retinas?

the other thing was that i feel like i have to strain my eyes to look at a laptop screen when its dark. should i turn down the brightness? or turn on a lamp to light up the room? i have heard its bad to look at a screen in the dark. does anybody else have any experience with this?

i figure others on here might have experience with similar situations, and their help would be much appreciated!

thanks!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm assuming your laptop is a MacBook Pro - The alu MBPs have a light sensor, so when its dark the brightness will automatically dim so it won't be as hard on your eyes. When your using a computer though it is better to have ambient lighting.

tipman2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
yeah thanks. the light sensor is disabled. it gets quiet annoying. i was reading somwhere staring at screens close up makes you cross eyed. is this the case for the iphone display?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
It's bad to be looking at a high brightness screen in a dark room - the best thing to do really is to brighten your room up as lowering the brightness will cause the backlight to flicker and that can be pretty harsh on your eyes. That is, if you're going to be sitting there for a really long time lol.

You're not supposed to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Period. Of course, who pays attention to that?!

The 'flicker' is because backlights are usually controlled by PWMs - they "flick" a power switch on and off hundreds of times a second, and lower brightness == less pulsing. By pulsing electricity less, your LEDs are flashing slower.. that can be stressful on the eyes. At full brightness, the LEDs aren't going to flash ;)

Aint that nice to know? XD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.