Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nloewen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I have some European DVDs, but when I put one in to watch on my emac, the message states that I can switch the region and watch them, but I can only switch it four times. Any way around this?
Thanks,
Nick

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
This is the region coding of all DVD drives. I don't know about for Mac but on Windows there is software that will strip the region code of the DVD and all you to copy to your hard drive or make archive DVD. Although technically in the US, this is illegal if you search you can probably find a way to make it work.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
nloewen said:
I have some European DVDs, but when I put one in to watch on my emac, the message states that I can switch the region and watch them, but I can only switch it four times. Any way around this?
Thanks,
Nick

i'm interested in this as well. i've found some software/firmware but they all require OS9 to install. I don't have OS9 installed nor do i want to install it. is there any software that'll work with OS X?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ok I looked into it for you guys.

Apparently VLC media player will play all regions of DVD regardless of what your DVD drive is set to. You can download it here.

Or you can rip it to your hard drive and play it from there.
MactheRipper can be used for that.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.