Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Niki*Nicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I've just got a Macbook Air and I love it! But I want to make sure that it stays as nice as possible for as long as possible. I've gotten a sleeve for it, and am going to get a keyboard protector (my last one was spilled on with Mt. Dew--It wasn't disastrous, but it was close and I don't want a repeat).

But I've heard that some people have "acidic sweat" and it reacts with the aluminum and causes "pitting" (small pox holes in the surface of the case). I've seen protectors for the area where the wrists rest to prevent this (and just general dirt). Is it worth getting this (and one for the trackpad)?

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
I've just got a Macbook Air and I love it! But I want to make sure that it stays as nice as possible for as long as possible. I've gotten a sleeve for it, and am going to get a keyboard protector (my last one was spilled on with Mt. Dew--It wasn't disastrous, but it was close and I don't want a repeat).

But I've heard that some people have "acidic sweat" and it reacts with the aluminum and causes "pitting" (small pox holes in the surface of the case). I've seen protectors for the area where the wrists rest to prevent this (and just general dirt). Is it worth getting this (and one for the trackpad)?

I don't think it's something to worry about...you're probably just getting a little too paranoid. :D

glad you like your new MBA!!

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003

Yeah my pit sweat is really acidic. Today I was wiping my pits with my MBA and it didn't even affect it.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Not an issue. I had palm rests on my 2010, but removed them because they made the machine look like crap. The plain Aluminum is amazingly resilient.

Niki*Nicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I got a keyboard protector and a palmrest/trackpad protector. The only thing that you really miss out is the aluminum feel.

Do the palm rests look odd or are they annoying at all? And I know I'm paranoid, but my MBA is so cute! And as for the acidic sweat...I have no idea. I don't even really believe it. How could sweat really eat aluminum? But that's why I asked.

My sister has the white plastic MB, and now it is dirty and gross (but still working--much to her displeasure because she won't upgrade till it dies) and I don't want to wish that I had taken better care of it earlier.

Thanks for the tips so far!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's actually a tad annoying the slight white film/foam-ish looking stain that gets on the palm rests area of the Air after typing. Natural perspiration does that. And if it's in a hot room/area, forgetaboutit. It's kind of annoying.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
I don't understand why people buy cases and keyboard protectors. The machine is made to look sexy for a reason. It's obvious that in time it'll wear out. Let it come naturally though. Treat it well, but don't be overly careful or you might just make a mistake. What's the point of protecting something you'll never see?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't think that shuld be a prob........ Wait hold on a sec.... My god, my air looks like swish cheese!!! If only I had worn gloves! My damn acidy palms! Why didn't I listen?! Damn my sweat!

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
I got a keyboard protector and a palmrest/trackpad protector. The only thing that you really miss out is the aluminum feel.

Both completely unnecessary. It always amazes me that people will overpay for a Mac and then ugly it up.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Both completely unnecessary. It always amazes me that people will overpay for a Mac and then ugly it up.

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^I don't think you even understand what you quoted, and if you did, then you certainly didn't understand the context. ;)

I think you should stop worrying about your MBA getting small pits/holes due to sweat, and start asking for blood tests to determine why your sweat is so acidic.

What's more important, really?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California

I agree.

Aluminum has it's disadvantages, but Apple chose it during their "Think Different" days. I just use mine, enjoy it, and overlook the inevitable signs of wear.

Conversely my Sony VAIO Z always looks like new because it's made from premium carbon fiber. A more expensive laptop, but you get what you pay for. It's really nice to know that they care about longevity.

The first carbon fiber VAIO I had looked fresh & new for three years, so I know this new one will too.

I'd be thrilled if Apple would dump the aluminum & use carbon fiber. I definitely prefer the Mac platform. Yet I do understand that Steve Jobs egos at stake.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't understand why people buy cases and keyboard protectors. The machine is made to look sexy for a reason. It's obvious that in time it'll wear out. Let it come naturally though. Treat it well, but don't be overly careful or you might just make a mistake. What's the point of protecting something you'll never see?

I purchased a Moshi keyboard protector but plan to use it only on airplanes where the risk of a spill is high. After spilling a glass of wine on my 2010 MacBook Air a week before I purchased my 2011 I'm a bit skittish, but decided to take out a personal articles policy for $40/year from my insurer rather than mar the look of the Air with a cover. Apple picked up the tab for the water damage on the 2010, and it's in the hands of a new owner, but I'm not expecting any favors in the future.

To the OP, I had a Rev B MacBook Air for 2 years and it never pitted. Aluminum is pretty sturdy. The main risk is creasing from a direct impact. Think about it. Soft drinks are very acidic, yet are sold in aluminum cans.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Some of us like our tech to stay as pristine as possible. For resale, the less wear, the better. Also, cases and keyboard protectors can be removed; the beauty of the air is still seen and appreciated.

For me, my Moshi keyboard protector is to prevent device killing liquids from harming my beautiful air. Unfortunately, it happens all too often. Besides, the Moshi is really nice looking and functional. Once you spill liquid, the damage is done.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Some people bought it for the size, not the sexiness of it. Protecting it makes sense if you worry about dropping or damaging it as well as for resale value. Makes perfect sense.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I put a Wrapsol on my 13" MBA and I absolutely love it. I use the top, bottom, and wrist guard. I decided against the trackpad protection because it screws up the feel of it.

It's mostly undetectable it's even there, and on the outside of the case, I actually think it makes it look *better* than stock. The palm rest "feel" isn't quite as nice at first, but I hardly even notice it now. Again, it's translucent and as such is mostly undetectable unless you are looking for something to notice :p

I highly recommend the Wrapsol, as you keep the beauty of the MBA with some pretty solid, lifetime warrantied scratch/wear protection.

That being said, I agree about putting an actual case on my MBA, I couldn't see doing it. Nor could I put on an iCarbon.. blah.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The extra ugly that a skin adds is nothing compared with some minor surface damage. You will get much more noticeable marks by wearing rings, bangles, etc while using the MacBook.

It's a much less serious issue than with the coated 2007 model MacBook Pros, my own is pictured below. This was from my repaired MacBook, my original top case was much, much worse.

Attachments

• pitting.jpg
    pitting.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,484

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
I covered my air up completely because it is my first Mac and I'm loving it! I got a Speck Clear Case, Silicone Keyboard Cover, Moshi Palmguard, and a Screen Protector. Cost:
Case: $50
Keyboard Cover $7
Moshi Palmguard $25
Screen Protector $22
MacBook Air $1300
Total $1404

Haha I spent over $100 in protecting supplies.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
^^^I don't think you even understand what you quoted, and if you did, then you certainly didn't understand the context.

Spoken like a true conformist..:rolleyes:

I think you should stop worrying about your MBA getting small pits/holes due to sweat, and start asking for blood tests to determine why your sweat is so acidic.

What's more important, really?

Perhaps some people should consider psych evaluations to consider why they get so upset about how other people personalize their machines.;)

Coming up next....how DARE you put your choice of desktop and screensaver on your Mac, you stupid :censored:.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I guess it really does depend on your sweat, i had a boss that resorted to using biking gloves to avoid destroying the palm rest (i think those were magnesium alloys), i've never had such an issue so nothing on my laptops.

Had a 2008 unibody macbook and 0 problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.