Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I'm looking for a personal finance software for my new macbook air. All I need just to manage my spending only. :D all help are much appreciated!!!

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Mint is free (web-based) and has an excellent suite of resources, as well as an iPhone and Android app.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am using Quicken Essentials for Mac and I like it. It does everything I need it to do. Keeps track of my 401K and all my checking, savings, loan and credit card accounts.

fhaddad

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
iBank

The best one after trying some iBank for a simple reason, you can have a version on your iPhone so you plug everything and once gone home it will sync automatically, also I like the fact that you can add icons to the categories.

I think it is the best one after I had a lot of time evaluating many of them. The only issue is when you want to have a version on your iPhone and iPad and then Mac then it is a little hassle but i am sure the developers will sort it soon

Ah one more thing, the developers are really helpful once you send them a question they answer it quickly and they are very helpful

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I am still running quicken in windows virtualbox as the mac version doesn't have calendar view. Do any of the above alternatives?

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I've been demo-ing MoneyDance 2011 and it fails to connect to two of my banks (the only two I've tried) and they are not tiny community banks, but large, well known financial institutions.

I guess I'll try iBank next but the Amazon reviews are blisteringly bad.

I'm bootcamping for Quicken right now but would like to get a Mac based application to replace it. Having read a bunch of the threads here, and given Microsoft's exit from the market (though Money blew away Quicken IMO), it seems that no one is able to develop a good financial application these days, for Windows or the Mac.

Quicken for Windows sucks hard, but it's the only game in town unless Mint does it for you. To hear that Quicken for Mac is even worse is disappointing.

mffl04

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I've been demo-ing MoneyDance 2011 and it fails to connect to two of my banks (the only two I've tried) and they are not tiny community banks, but large, well known financial institutions.

I guess I'll try iBank next but the Amazon reviews are blisteringly bad.

I'm bootcamping for Quicken right now but would like to get a Mac based application to replace it. Having read a bunch of the threads here, and given Microsoft's exit from the market (though Money blew away Quicken IMO), it seems that no one is able to develop a good financial application these days, for Windows or the Mac.

Quicken for Windows sucks hard, but it's the only game in town unless Mint does it for you. To hear that Quicken for Mac is even worse is disappointing.

I've been using iBank for a couple of weeks now (free trail). I really like the app so far. Came from Quicken 2010 running windows on my iMac. I was really hoping for Intuit would star supporting Mac, but that isn't going to happen. I enjoy the UI and the customer support is fantastic. If the can get there ***** straight with Vangaurd, It would be perfect. Also hoping they integrate iCloud into the app so you can sync your iPhone (hopefully iPad soon) over 3G from anywhere. How do you like it so far?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.