Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
...getting my OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 today and I'm looking for the best & fastest way to clone it.
I have a USB docking station but it's only USB 2.0 and also have Carbon Copy.

I plan on removing the optical drive and putting the existing 750HDD in there with an optibay. Can I initially install the new SSD to the optibay, clone it with disk utility or Carbon Copy and then switch the drives around so the HDD is in the optibay after it's cloned?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
...getting my OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 today and I'm looking for the best & fastest way to clone it.
I have a USB docking station but it's only USB 2.0 and also have Carbon Copy.

I plan on removing the optical drive and putting the existing 750HDD in there with an optibay. Can I initially install the new SSD to the optibay, clone it with disk utility or Carbon Copy and then switch the drives around so the HDD is in the optibay after it's cloned?

You can skip one step. Just put the new SSD in the HDD bay, the old HDD in the Optibay. Option key boot to the HDD then clone the HDD to the SSD. Option key reboot to the SSD and go to System Prefs in Startup Disk and set the SSD as the boot disk.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
You can skip one step. Just put the new SSD in the HDD bay, the old HDD in the Optibay. Option key boot to the HDD then clone the HDD to the SSD. Option key reboot to the SSD and go to System Prefs in Startup Disk and set the SSD as the boot disk.

...wow....that was simple, THANKS!
With the new 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 and 16GB of Patriot DDR3 1600 RAM this thing just booted in under 15 seconds! ....sick.... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.