Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeAppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I have a PB 12inch and I was wondering if it is better to put it to sleep for the night or better to shut it down. Obviously shutting it down conserves batterty power, but then it takes more to start it back up again in the morning? What does everyone typically do with their notebooks?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Mine goes to sleep. Easier and don't have to wait for it to start up, and I can leave whatever I was doing the way it was, and get it back again without having to reopen files or forget about them.

PROhan

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2006
I always put mine to sleep, much easier and quicker than shutting down/booting up.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
Shutdown. I'm like a vampire, the glow from the PB cord/pulsating light is harmful to my health. :D

MikeAppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
shut down

I always preferred shut down but I heard from someone something about having the computer constantly go from hot and running to cold and off. Not sure if that is true or not though

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I always put my Mac to sleep, unless I know I'll be away for a few days and have no need for it to be running.

There is really no need to shut a computer off - the power savings are very minimal, and it's a lot easier on the system to just put it to sleep. The process of firing up hard drives, fans and other components from a "cold" state are when you'd be most likely to cause damage to them (just like starting your car's engine is basically the roughest thing to do to it), so I like to avoid that as much as possible. Also, the system doesn't need to reload the OS every time, etc. that way.

Plus, I have perpetual torrents going, so I don't usually have the option of shutting my Mac down even if I wanted to. ;) :cool:

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Run it basically 24-7 (turn the screen off at night) only sleep/shut down when in transport (on a 2.5 year old - 1.25 GHz 15").

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
I put it to sleep because I heard it's better for it and it's more convienent.

However, the light annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to sleep so I have to put a jumper of tshirt over it. I wish I could turn off that light though, it's so ****ing annoying. :mad:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
It makes virtually no difference; particularly if the machine is off for more than 3 hours. Also if the computer is plugged in the battery is never an issue.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
i put it to sleep. i go to sleep - i don't shut down. so why should i shut down my computer when i can just put it to sleep? (it also makes it easier in the morning or in the middle of the night when i want to go online.)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
shut it down

oh my lord...this is going to sound like i'm an environmentalist tree hugger or something, but i'm really not.... (as i sit with a tv, 2 macs and a pc on (about to be all turned off)...

shut it down overnight. purely a waste of power/energy.

i understand mac os runs utilities and stuff, but onyx can do that stuff from what i've read.

seriously...why leave them on unless you are doing mission critical stuff for a job?

we humans waste enough energy...i never thought of it until i had kids and now i see the difference. they don't know any better so we have to teach them.
ah well, i'll probably get pounded for this message, but it's worth it.

turn them off :)

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
if my MBP put to sleep, it's actually still on right? and need to consume some power? if i want to put my MBP back to a laptop bag, can i put it to sleep? Will it gets hot inside the bag because it's actually still on, and sometimes when it's running out of battery, it'll off? So, it's better to put it to sleep if the MBP still in desk right?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
There's a shutdown option in OS X?!

No seriously.. I never shut mine down except to restart for Software updates. Sleeping it is fine and it saves you from having to wait for boot up and stuff. Who wants to look at a boot screen?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Keebler said:
oh my lord...this is going to sound like i'm an environmentalist tree hugger or something, but i'm really not.... (as i sit with a tv, 2 macs and a pc on (about to be all turned off)...

shut it down overnight. purely a waste of power/energy.

i understand mac os runs utilities and stuff, but onyx can do that stuff from what i've read.

seriously...why leave them on unless you are doing mission critical stuff for a job?

we humans waste enough energy...i never thought of it until i had kids and now i see the difference. they don't know any better so we have to teach them.
ah well, i'll probably get pounded for this message, but it's worth it.

turn them off :)

I'm not going to pound you for your message, but just state a simple fact - the amount of power your Mac uses overnight when left on is negligible. Really, in the grand scheme of things it's nothing. Do you unplug your VCR, DVD player and set top box every night as well? How about your stove? That stove clock is using power!

Honestly, it's not a big deal. :cool:

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
I just put it to sleep. It's good because I never know when I'm gonna need to get on to check something real quick. Also, am I the only one who really likes the little pulsating light?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
~Shard~ said:
Do you unplug your VCR, DVD player and set top box every night as well? How about your stove? That stove clock is using power!
C'mon shard? You mean you DON'T?! Why not try help out saving the planet here! You probably leave the water running while you're brushing your teeth too huh?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Heb1228 said:
C'mon shard? You mean you DON'T?! Why not try help out saving the planet here! You probably leave the water running while you're brushing your teeth too huh?

Hey now, I don't go that far - you're pushing it man! :p ;) But yes, <shock, horror> I do leave my VCR and STB plugged in every night. Truth be known, I'm just not a fan of resetting the clock every day... ;) As for the water, no, I have to admit I do not leave it running. I think I compensate for that though by taking 3-hour showers every day, so it's all good... :cool:

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Three hour showers?! Holy crap, what do you do in there? You're with a partner aren't you? C'mon, admit it, haha okok. No one here can wait the 15 seconds it takes to boot up? For me, the time difference it takes to boot up and wake from sleep is very minimal.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Every night your Mac runs periodicals for maintenance purposes. These periodicals obviously don't run if the machine is either sleeping or shut down. However, since 10.4, if the machine is sleeping then the periodicals will run once the computer has been awoken. Unfortunately, this is not the case for a shut down machine. Therefore, it's actually slightly beneficial to sleep a Mac at night rather than to shut it down, assuming you don't run these periodicals manually (why bother) and you have Tiger. :)

I always sleep with my Macs. :cool:

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
Lollypop said:
mine goes to sleep. The mac os takes way to long to start up, and think the only thing consuming a lot of power on my powerbook is the bloody pulsing light! :p

I usually just shut mine down. I'm running bootcamp on my 15 inch MBP so I have to shut down periodically anyway. However, since my machine is so new, and so fast, Mac OSX takes less than 30 seconds to boot up. Seriously, about 10 seconds after I see my desktop I am able to do whatever I want without any lag. It's pretty amazing. Surprisingly Windows doesn't take all that long either (although it does take a bit longer than OSX).

I'm thinking about sleeping it more often... but I can't get over this feeling like there isn't any reason to let it sleep overnight (considering how fast it boots up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.