Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
iTunes can't read FLAC files directly...you first need to convert them to something like WAV or AIFF. xACT does the job.

Why can't you play it directly? Good question.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Well iTunes will pay what QT can, and there's a plugin for QT on Mac here: http://damien.drix.free.fr/qtflac/

Doesn't help much, since you can't transfer it to an iPod or anything. Converting to Apple Lossless might be the easiest path.

It was speculated that Apple developed Apple Lossless since the FLAC license wouldn't let them add DRM to the files if they so wanted.

B

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
balamw said:
It was speculated that Apple developed Apple Lossless since the FLAC license wouldn't let them add DRM to the files if they so wanted.
How open is "Apple Lossless"? Is iTunes and iApps the only software that can play it? Are there other opensource programs that can convert it into other formats?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
theBB said:
How open is "Apple Lossless"? Is iTunes and iApps the only software that can play it? Are there other opensource programs that can convert it into other formats?

There are no DRM restrictions on ALAC, though they could be implemented pretty easily. There are open source decoders...here's one.

Edit: Alrighty then...it's a party in here!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
WildCowboy said:
There are no DRM restrictions on ALAC, though they could be implemented pretty easily.
Unlike FLAC whose license explicitly prohibits DRM, which is the point. Apple couldn't use FLAC if they wanted to sell DRMed lossless files on iTMS.

B

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
balamw said:
It was reverse engineered and an open source decoder is here: http://craz.net/programs/itunes/alac.html
Thanks everybody... I guess the only non-iTunes way of listening is to convert it into something else. With just one link everybody is refering to, it seems like it is not a widespread format.

I guess my problem is, I want to use iTunes as my music orgranizer and player right now, but I want to save music in a lossless format that will not force my hand into using Apple or MS software forever.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I use MacFlac (go to versiontracker to find) to convert to AIFF and then load it into iTunes. If you want to compress it from there you can.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Max seems like a good option, too.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

I am thinking about backing up my CD collection as FLAC (maybe on an external HD) and saving an AAC version (on the internal HD) for iTunes. If I go through all that trouble, I'd need an Airport express to listen to music on my home stereo, but $130 is a bit rich and I would end up listening to the lossy versions. Hmm... As you see, I haven't worked out the details, yet. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.