Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
At about 11:06PM on September 25th, Maribella, the beloved cat of ChipNovaMac, went to that special place in heaven reserved for God's creatures that give comfort to their human companions. She had just celebrated her 14th birthday just two months ago, 12 years of which she spent with ChipNovaMac.

ChipNovaMac adopted her in 1994 from her original parent, when he was being moved to place that did not accept her kind. She was a feisty; with a very deep independent spirit. She shared her life with ChipNovaMac, and a few years later with ChipNovaMac's other-half (now "divorce"), on her terms.

Her independent spirit never allowed the cuddling one has seen on TV. She was more content on flopping down as one entered the door, asking for attention on her terms. She was very much loved for that, by all that met and knew her.

That independent spirit was shown on more that one occasion. ChipNovaMac's other-half had provided some premium soft food for her while doing the laundry. She had not taken well to it, and promptly dragged some of the laundry being done over the food, and proceeded to knead the laundry into the food!

When ChipNovaMac's other-half tried to introduce Sitka, a German shepherd mix to the household, she tried to be a trooper. But Sitka's enthusiasm was a bit much for her. But she knew that when "Daddy" was home, always safe. So much so she would "taunt" Sitka in chasing her into the "forbidden zone" of the kitchen. In the end she found satisfaction in Sitka's scolding for not "respecting her space".

In 2002 Maribella started to share her life with ChipNovaMac, his partner, and perhaps the love of her life; their dog, Chewey. For it gave her a chance to show that she was the Queen of the House, with Chewey as a young 8 week old pup at the time - being in his den (a cage) - she was in charge!

Unlike her turbulent time with Sitka, she and Chewey found a happy place together. They found each other the best of enemies, and the end the best of friends.

In her last year or so; she provided much comfort to ChipNovaMac - as they started a new life together, back to the exact same apartment building they started their life together 12 years ago.

She leaves behind ChipNovaMac, Teddy (ChipNovaMac's ex-partner), Chewey, Sitka, and her original "father" Chris - and all that she touched in her life. Remembrances of her life should be made to your local shelter or animal rescue service.

[OT:

I just want everyone to know that I am OK at this point - as well as one can be. I sort of knew that this was coming. I am just grateful that I was there with her at the end.

Given the hour of her passing, I feel little options. I took a box and made a final bed for her. I have placed most, if not all of the things that made her happy in that box.

If I were sure that I would not violate any laws here in Virginia, I would would give her a Viking type of send off - with the things to make her final journey comfortable.

But I will have to wait till morning, to make final arrangements.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Chip

Attachments

• Maribella - RIP.jpg
    Maribella - RIP.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 115

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
awwwww, chip, i'm so sorry about your kitty.... I hope you're able to give her the best kind of send-off you can think of. I know she had a good life because you were part of it.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
So sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is a tough one! I had to put down my 16 year-old cat a couple of years ago and I still get sad thinking about him. But I think about how he had a long, happy life with people who cared about him very much, and that gives me comfort. It sounds like Maribella had that in her life, too. Hope she meets Chaz up there in kitty heaven.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm so sorry, Chip. I have two cats of my own (my first pets other than a couple of goldfish when I was a kid), and it's really hard to think about what that day is going to be like when one of them passes on.

You seem to be handling it well...it certainly seems to help to focus on the good times. Best wishes to Maribella, and may she spend eternity frolicking in the fields with mice and laying in the sun.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Silentwave said:
awwwww, chip, i'm so sorry about your kitty.... I hope you're able to give her the best kind of send-off you can think of. I know she had a good life because you were part of it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Even though I in my hearts of hearts knew it was coming; I am in a bit of shock.

I hope that some understand that despite our time together, I am not sure at this point that I am wanting to keep her ashes, or to place her in a pet cemetery. She was too much a free spirit for that sort formality IMO.

There is a certain comfort in the melding of Viking custom and even Jewish custom (for I will be near her over the next 8 to 24 hours or so).

Maybe it was my Icelandic trip this past year that gave me an appreciation of sending the departed off on their next life. This rooted even to ancient Egypt, and beyond.

All I know is that I need to make her passing in to the next life as pleasurable as possible. What ever that mean for me.

Thanks for your comments on her passing.

Chip

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I'm so sorry about your loss Chip. I know nothing said here can really help or make that pain go away, but we are thinking of you.

I lost my cat two years ago and I still get teary thinking about him. I was at a six week summer program and my mom called me to say that out of the blue, he had trouble breathing. He died within two days, my parents up for 48 hours with him, multiple visits tot he vet...the hardest part was when I received a postcard mailed by mom the day before he got sick....she ironically mentioned he was the "picture of health" despite the fact we had no reason to worry; he was only four. I lost my best friend, so I know how you feel.

So anyways....bless.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
xsedrinam said:
Chip, every pet should have an owner like you.
Best wishes.

Thank you, but the thanks should be to the likes of Maribella, Sitka, and Chewey. For each knew unconditional love on their own terms.

Each one of them had been "adopted". Sitka was the most painful for my ex and myself. He was a great friend, but he needed someone that could be around 24/7. It was our experience with Sitka that allowed him to find the right home.

To be honest, I sometimes feel guilty about Maribella. She never demanded much in the end. I always wondered if I gave her enough.

In the 12 years that she blessed my life, she was never the affectionate one. In fact in our move to the new apartment I needed don oven mitts to get her in the carrier. <g> I still ended up with some nice scratches. But I still loved her.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Very sorry for your loss, So far the only pets I've lost are fish. I have 1 Cat and my Aunt, who I moved in with last year has 4. I don't want to think about any of them passing. My cat's about 10 so hopefully he's got 3+ good years left in him. I don't know what I would do without him. They really are part of the family. Sorry again for your loss.

Chip NoVaMac said:
To be honest, I sometimes feel guilty about Maribella. She never demanded much in the end. I always wondered if I gave her enough.

In the 12 years that she blessed my life, she was never the affectionate one. In fact in our move to the new apartment I needed don oven mitts to get her in the carrier. <g> I still ended up with some nice scratches. But I still loved her.

Don't feel bad, Cats by nature are independent creatures Im sure she was very happy being alone, and getting attention when she wanted it. You sound like you gave here a loving home. As for the Carrier, no cat even if they are affectionate likes being put in a carrier trust me I know. LOL

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
todd2000 said:
Don't feel bad, Cats by nature are independent creatures Im sure she was very happy being alone, and getting attention when she wanted it. You sound like you gave here a loving home. As for the Carrier, no cat even if they are affectionate likes being put in a carrier trust me I know. LOL

Thanks, Maribella was very independent indeed.

I know in my hearts of hearts, I know that she knew she was loved. That is why what ever I decide over the hours ahead-that she will be happy in in how I thought of her.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Chip,

My condolences...losing a friend is never easy. Hang in there and keep her in your heart. That's where she'll continue to inspire and love you.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i sympathize with you. only a few months ago did my dog pass away unexpectedly and way too early (she was only 7 years old).

she is in a better place.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
My condolences, she was a beautiful girl. She's very similiar to my Tomas. My heart goes out to you and everyone who has lost a best friend like Maribella.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Aw, Chip! I just ran across this thread this morning! I am so sorry that your lovely Maribella has passed on into a greater realm. I know how sad you must be feeling....losing a beloved companion is really hard. Take comfort in thinking of her dancing lightly across the Rainbow Bridge....

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Good Lord, Chewie and now this too. Sorry Chip! What is it about this year and the number 14? That's how old mine was when I put him down last month. Ugh.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
My folks lost both of their cats in the past year. It's been a very tough time for all. I'm very sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Thanks all for the comforting words.

Yes, it has been a rough week and half. I still "see" her running around the apartment. :) Though I am happy that she and I were able to share her last hour or so together. Rather than to come home to find her gone. But I know that she is now enjoying "Kitty Heaven", where she can scratch all the leather she wants - without her hearing me shout her name. :)

Yes, Lee - that thought came to mind this past week. 12 months of loss. First being ending my relationship with Teddy. Then having to find a new home for Chewey. My sister's heart attack this past spring. And now with Maribella's passing. But there have been some bright spots. My first overseas trip, to Iceland and London. And starting this weekend, my first cruise.

I guess it has been 12+ months of firsts and lasts. Like a friend of mine told me many years ago: Life is a roller coaster. Might as well enjoy the ride....

Again thanks all

Chip

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My dog is 15 and maybe getting towards the end. Never fun losing a pet.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.