Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Even with their technical genius so apparent, I think that Sony will come up with some way to screw this up...;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Even with their technical genius so apparent, I think that Sony will come up with some way to screw this up...;)

I can't help but think that Sony are currently in that place that Apple occupied a decade ago. Management incompetency with an overly complex product line.

They have all the ingredients to be right on the bleeding edge of desirability, and with Yujin Morisawa and Fumitaka Kikutani they have creatives that are the equal of Ive & Co yet they're just not currently producing the products.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I can't help but think that Sony are currently in that place that Apple occupied a decade ago. Management incompetency with an overly complex product line.

They have all the ingredients to be right on the bleeding edge of desirability, and with Yujin Morisawa and Fumitaka Kikutani they have creatives that are the equal of Ive & Co yet they're just not currently producing the products.

dead on with that. they've got the resources. they've got the talent. they just don't know how to use it effectively. its a shame, but hopefully they'll come back around.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
If the times are so great, then where the heck is my flying car? :confused:

my thoughts exactly. while i'm certainly thrilled to not live in a time (or country) where women are chattel with no rights whatsoever, and very pleased to live in an era with wifi, gps, and tivo, the flying cars (a la bladerunner, which my dad took me to see when it was released) were definitely supposed to be here by now. :mad: :D

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
my thoughts exactly. while i'm certainly thrilled to not live in a time (or country) where women are chattel with no rights whatsoever, and very pleased to live in an era with wifi, gps, and tivo, the flying cars (a la bladerunner, which my dad took me to see when it was released) were definitely supposed to be here by now. :mad: :D

If people had flying cars, life would be an absolute nightmare! Think about it:

1. There would be no privacy whatsoever. Imagine trying to relax in your backyard and every few seconds, some gawking idiot flies over your head. You'd never be able to go on hikes in the woods to "get away from it all" because there would be thousands of cars above your head at all times. (...and forget about nude sunbathing)

2. There would be litter everywhere instead of just on the sides of the road. That might even be a new "game" for punk teenagers - throw Coke cans out the window to see if you can hit people below.

3. Flying car accidents would kill many more people than a car accident. Imagine flaming wreckage landing on houses or crowds of people. (imagine how much damage terrorists could cause)

4. You could never escape from deep bass car stereos. It's bad enough now where you have to go 3km from the nearest road to get silence. With flying cars, you couldn't avoid the thumping bass even if you were a hermit in a cave at the top of a mountain.

THANK GOD there are no flying cars yet!

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California

1. There would be no privacy whatsoever. Imagine trying to relax in your back yard and ever few seconds, some gawking idiot flies over your head. You'd never be able to go on hikes in the woods to "get away from it all" because there would be thousands of cars above your head at all times. (...and forget about nude sunbathing)

2. There would be litter everywhere instead of just on the sides of the road. That might even be a new "game" for punk teenagers - throw Coke cans out the window to see if you can hit people below.

3. Flying car accidents would kill many more people than a car accident. Imagine flaming wreckage landing on houses or crowds of people. (imagine how much damage terrorists could cause)

4. You could never escape from deep bass car stereos. It's bad enough now where you have to go 3km from the nearest road to get silence. With flying cars, you couldn't avoid the thumping bass even if you were a hermit in a cave at the top of a mountain.

Amen!

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
the flying cars (a la bladerunner, which my dad took me to see when it was released) were definitely supposed to be here by now. :mad: :D

There's time yet... Blade Runner is set in 2019. ;)

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005

1. There would be no privacy whatsoever. Imagine trying to relax in your backyard and every few seconds, some gawking idiot flies over your head. You'd never be able to go on hikes in the woods to "get away from it all" because there would be thousands of cars above your head at all times. (...and forget about nude sunbathing)

He never asserted that everyone should have flying cars, just that he should have a flying car. It's all in the details...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.