Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designsynergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Philly, PA
Hey Everyone,

I don't actually have an issue with my battery as far as lifespan is concerned. With a mix of phone calls, web browsing, mail and some playing on Weather/Stocks/YouTube I get about 2 days before I need to charge to be confident I can make it through the next day without dying.

My iPhone does, as several people seem to experience, not charge to 100% when plugged in. It gets to what looks like 95-98% and stays there. However, I have found a solution that seems to all get me the extra couple percent and wanted to share with everyone.

I plug my iPhone up when I go to bed - roughly 12:00am and let it charge until 7:00am when I wake up. When I get up I leave it plugged up, but I turn it off (holding the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears), wait 20 seconds and turn it back on - again, never unplugging the phone.

I then go and do all the morning crap I do to get ready for work. At around 7:45/8:00am I go and wake my iPhone and I now have a 100% charged battery as indicated by the bar being full green and the battery glowing and reset usage settings.

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now - equal to about 6 full charges and each time I reached 100%. Before this I was hitting roughly 95-98% on each charge.

It works for me, so maybe people that aren't getting reset usage settings and have never seen the green glowing battery might find this works for them as well.

Hope this helps!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'll have to give this a shot. I get the plug icon in the top corner, but the green battery does as yours did- it stops at about 95%. I'm waiting for a software update to fix this.

designsynergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Philly, PA
Yea, my battery life is good, so I'm not concerned - but I think you're right that, most likely, a software update will correct the issue in the future.

If you give it a try, let me know how it works for you.

ukneeq

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Lewisville, TX
What I have done is just wake the phone up from sleep, which clears the battery graphic and then let it go back to sleep, once it goes back to sleep it has been showing 100% and glowing. I also keep it plugged in while doing this. I'm not sure if it is just a matter of the screen not updating those last few percentages.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Still an iPhone problem? (mine)

I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but is this still a problem for new iPhones? I just bought mine less than 2 weeks ago, and I just noticed (I'm in college right now) that it keeps stopping about 1 cm (90-95%?) from "full". I keep it charged via USB to my MBP before I go so sleep every night (12:00 AM), and when I get up (8:00 AM), it's charges up to there. Because of a lack of outlets in my room, I don't use the wall power adapter.

I'm going to try the above strategy today, actually right now. I just want to make sure that even on the newer iPhone batches, I'm not the only one?!?

brn2prgrm

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2004
I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but is this still a problem for new iPhones? I just bought mine less than 2 weeks ago, and I just noticed (I'm in college right now) that it keeps stopping about 1 cm (90-95%?) from "full". I keep it charged via USB to my MBP before I go so sleep every night (12:00 AM), and when I get up (8:00 AM), it's charges up to there. Because of a lack of outlets in my room, I don't use the wall power adapter.

I'm going to try the above strategy today, actually right now. I just want to make sure that even on the newer iPhone batches, I'm not the only one?!?

I just bought an 8gb last week and I have this same problem still... I've tried restoring and draining the battery but nothing worked! Looks like I'll head back to the Apple store tomorrow!

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Add me to the list. Got a refurb 8gb a few days ago and have this same problem. Just wont fill that last millimeter or so, but the lightning bolt changes to a plug, indicating its fully charged. Plus my usage stats dont work because it never gets fully charged.

Just curious, I bought it online from Apple. I have an Apple store within driving distance. Is this something they can diagnose there?? I mean, how exactly are they going to be able to tell my battery wont fully charge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.