Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdude69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any up-to-date information about getting UT 99 running on Leopard and an intel mac. I have found a few sites about it, but they are rather out dated.

Any help is appreciated!

sil3nc3

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
i had no problem copying and running UT v.436 onto my new iMac.
i had to change the screensize in the UnrealTournament.ini file, but thats about it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hmm...I hope I don't have to break out a Mac that can run Classic to get this to work.

I love the original game to death.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Same here. I was quite impressed at how well it ran on my PowerBook. Granted it's an 8/9 year old game now - I just thought it was dead and left to roam the PC lands.

An excellent game that the sequels don't quite match IMO.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any up-to-date information about getting UT 99 running on Leopard and an intel mac. I have found a few sites about it, but they are rather out dated.

Any help is appreciated!
I guess the answer is no because we have yet to be shown how you get a classic game OS 8 to run on OSX Intel? I still have a copy of it and would love to have it on my alum iMac if possible.

sil3nc3

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
you will probably need the OS X Patch, but i don't see why it won't work. I just beat Xan last night.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I play it under Leopard on my G5 iMac with OS X preview 3 patch. It has 2 problems though - its not really optimized for OS X, so performance is kind of bad, and It has no music (aaaarghhh!!!)

I think running it on Intel Mac will be slower, due to the absence of UB version, but its such an old game, so it should run well.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Say, this would be excellent if I can get it to run!

I have the PC Game of The Year (GOTY) CDs, any chance of getting that to work? Perhaps by using different executable binaries for Mac? I know that is how thing are done under Linux, using Loki's binaries.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I have the OS X Preview 3 patch of UT99. It runs fine in single player and practice mode, but it crashes if you try to play online and hangs if you try to query all servers. The OS X patch worked ok on my G5, and it even worked online in multiplayer mode, but was a bit slow at times.

I've since upgraded to one of the new Early 2008 MP 2.8 Octos and UT99 is running perfectly in single player mode, but it crashes whenever I try to connect to a server. :(

Anyone know of any potential fixes to get multi-player options working?

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
For those of you with problems using the server browser, try installing Eavy's UT Server browser. It's a modification for UT that replaces UT's server querying with Eavy's. It's much faster and doesn't lock up UT on Macs.

http://eavy.beyondunreal.com/

You'll have to do the .zip download on OS X Macs due to the umod installer requiring OS 9. Make sure to read the readme to find out what edits to your UT.ini file you need to do.

I've been using it for years and never have had a problem with it.

If only icculus would of finished the OS X patch for UT...

Edit: Apparently the download link for the .zip one doesn't work, if you wish I can attach the .u file from my own computers and attach the changes you need to make to your .ini.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I'll just attach it to my post here so if anyone else wants it, they can grab it too.

Should be pretty straight forward, just extract the zip and follow the instructions I wrote.

Attachments

• Eavy.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 2,115
Reactions: alex_free

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
SWWWWEEEEEEET! Thanks socamx. Not only am I able to browse games now, I was able to join an online game! I only tried joining one, so I don't know if I just got lucky or not. I'll find out soon though.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Glad it worked for you, hopefully anyone else with the same problem will discover this fix as well.

Been pondering making a website dedicated to playing UT (in all iterations) on the Mac platform solely, have solutions for every problem that comes up.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Glad it worked for you, hopefully anyone else with the same problem will discover this fix as well.

Been pondering making a website dedicated to playing UT (in all iterations) on the Mac platform solely, have solutions for every problem that comes up.
You could at least start a new thread.:D I would like the simple instructions if there is such on how I get my UT Disc for OS 8.0 and play it on my new iMac in 10.5.2? No classic support in 10.5.2 Right?

Great game for sure.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
socamx, you might also try approaching one of the Unreal portals to give you a Mac UT fans spot, but of course it's always fun to have your own! ;)

Well, I'm back playing online again for the first time in several years. I'm running into a problem on most of the sniper maps (which is what I like the play the most). I'm hoping someone else has seen this problem and has found a way around it.

As soon as a map loads, UT99 aborts and I get an error message that tells me that Unreal Tournament is out of memory and suggests that I try changing the preferred memory size of the program or quit other open applications. Well, I remember doing stuff like that in OS 9. Is this even still a valid error message?

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I would like the simple instructions if there is such on how I get my UT Disc for OS 8.0 and play it on my new iMac in 10.5.2? No classic support in 10.5.2 Right?

I never actually tried it myself, but I think it may be possible to manually copy the files off the CD and download the UTX Preview 3 to enable the game. I'll experiment with it if I find my CD. If it works I'll post some instructions.

As far as doing a website goes, the one place that comes to mind is beyondunreal.com, they have a lot of sub-sites like NaliCity, SkinCity, mapper's websites etc. Essentially a UT portal, one of the bigger ones I can think of.

It just depends how many people could benefit from it and if I can find the time to design a site and build it. I do have a vast amount of knowledge with different problems on getting UT working properly on Macs, I would love to get it centralized in one place for everyone to access. Before even starting a site I'd have to type/write everything that I do remember before I start forgetting stuff.

UT is one of the greatest games out there, it's a shame that the Mac version is so dilapidated and in such disrepair. I wish it were possible to get Icculus to finish his Mac patch with the UTPG.org project, he made so much progress but got too busy with other things and I guess gave up.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
As soon as a map loads, UT99 aborts and I get an error message that tells me that Unreal Tournament is out of memory and suggests that I try changing the preferred memory size of the program or quit other open applications. Well, I remember doing stuff like that in OS 9. Is this even still a valid error message?

In case anyone else runs into the Out of Memory Error that I ran into, my problem was due to a few corrupt .u files in my System folder. I figured out which ones were the likely culprits and got new copies of them online. It still crashes now and then for other reasons, but for the most part it's runnin pretty good!

cerealkiller

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
It s not working for me.
I had the same problem with my ball mac, and i don t remember how but managed to make it work, i believe it wasn t only the unrealtournament.ini file... there was somethin with the user.ini too. but it s still strange because i copied the working game.

if anyone is running it well under leopard, with a macbook, could he/she be generous enought to attach both files on a post, here ?

edit
after reviewing the user.ini file i realised it doesn t have much to do with the game running or not, but then i don t know why i had kept a copy of that file in the ut folder... mistery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.