Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScoobyDoofus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Galway, Ireland
I am on the verge of buying an iPhone, and I suppose the answer to this question isn't exactly a dealbreaker but I'm curious.

Can you browse playlists in coverflow on the iPhone? The display model in the O2 store I played with doesn't have any playlists on it as far as I can see, only a few albums.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
when you enable cover flow on the iphone, it's for the entire music library. it's something that might be changed with a future update, but you can't browse playlists in cover flow at the moment.

ScoobyDoofus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Galway, Ireland
when you enable cover flow on the iphone, it's for the entire music library. it's something that might be changed with a future update, but you can't browse playlists in cover flow at the moment.

As I said, it's not a dealbreaker, but it strikes me as odd that you can't do it. Should be easy enough to fix in an update I should imagine.

Out of interest, is it the same on an iPod Classic or Nano?

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Just to be clear, if you are looking at a playlist vertically, it's just a list and when you turn the iPhone horizontally, coverflow kicks in, but it's not what you'd expect. the coverflow contains all of your albums, not just the ones in that particular playlist. The coverflow appears in alphabetical order by the artist's first name. The coverflow also doesn't pay attention to which album you might have been looking at. When coverflow opens, it's either at the beginning of your collection (if you just opened the iPod) or where you last left it. So, yeah, I agree - it could be smarter. When you go to coverview in a playlist in iTunes, it shows you just the albums in that playlist. Are the developers able to check to see if this feature is coming with version 2.0 or is that something Apple would keep to themselves until the release?

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
Just to be clear, if you are looking at a playlist vertically, it's just a list and when you turn the iPhone horizontally, coverflow kicks in, but it's not what you'd expect. the coverflow contains all of your albums, not just the ones in that particular playlist. The coverflow appears in alphabetical order by the artist's first name. The coverflow also doesn't pay attention to which album you might have been looking at. When coverflow opens, it's either at the beginning of your collection (if you just opened the iPod) or where you last left it. So, yeah, I agree - it could be smarter. When you go to coverview in a playlist in iTunes, it shows you just the albums in that playlist. Are the developers able to check to see if this feature is coming with version 2.0 or is that something Apple would keep to themselves until the release?

Ant this is *THE* most annoying feature of the software. i love the rest of it. this makes *NO* sense. it aggrivates and frustrates me. the playlist screen is so boring and i want to "touch my music" and use the "beautiful widescreen display" but it goes to the beginning of my entire library. grrrrrr...

oh yea, and you can't shuffle by albums....grrrrr again.....

patcase86

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Ant this is *THE* most annoying feature of the software. i love the rest of it. this makes *NO* sense. it aggrivates and frustrates me. the playlist screen is so boring and i want to "touch my music" and use the "beautiful widescreen display" but it goes to the beginning of my entire library. grrrrrr...

oh yea, and you can't shuffle by albums....grrrrr again.....

If 'shuffle by albums' do you mean shuffling a single album? You most certainly can - just hold it vertically (so the album art shows) and tap the screen once. The play/pause/skip menu will show up and the theres a shuffle icon on the right hand side. Tap that and TADA your album is shuffled. Works great for me as I have a lot of compilation CDs and Mixtapes.

Hope this helps.

ScootPatoot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
If 'shuffle by albums' do you mean shuffling a single album? You most certainly can - just hold it vertically (so the album art shows) and tap the screen once. The play/pause/skip menu will show up and the theres a shuffle icon on the right hand side. Tap that and TADA your album is shuffled. Works great for me as I have a lot of compilation CDs and Mixtapes.

Hope this helps.

I think what he means is full album shuffle. As in, you play one full album and then shuffle to play the next full album. As it is now, it will only play the next album in the list and not shuffle after the full album has been played.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
ummm.....I dont know what is different on my phone from yours but while playing a song and turning it horizontal to cover flow - the cover flow starts at the album of the song I am listening to - not the beginning of the library

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.