Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
3g_sim.jpg

Just Wow...thats amazing

MacMalv

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
England
what a waste of packaging, if it is just to hold a small paperclip thing?!?!

EDIT: oh i see it is to hold the documents

photoGrant

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
what a waste of packaging, if it is just to hold a small paperclip thing?!?!

EDIT: oh i see it is to hold the documents

I'd rather not ship a £200 product with a paper clip inside. It doesn't really signify class and style, does it? If I pay £200 and £30 a month for a product that uses a paper clip to employ full functionality, I'd be a little peeved.

Also, the packaging includes the manual and such, so no, not a waste.

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
the iPaperclip from apple

comes in various sizes in a unique packaging. only $2099 with a 28 year contract....

good old apple! take something that exists, put an "i" in front of it and sell it!:D

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Oh by the way, Eric Lewis: I don't know how you do things in Canada, but in English Allot isn't a word but you can use "A lot" ;D

*See your sig*

moabon.rob

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Oh by the way, Eric Lewis: I don't know how you do things in Canada, but in English Allot isn't a word but you can use "A lot" ;D

*See your sig*

Whilst it is off topic, and you are most certainly correct in stating it should be "a lot", I take issue with your comment that "allot" isn't a word.... it is ;)

(from dictionary.com, although many others are out there)

al·lot [uh-lot]
–verb (used with object), -lot·ted, -lot·ting.

1. to divide or distribute by share or portion; distribute or parcel out; apportion: to allot the available farmland among the settlers.
2. to appropriate for a special purpose: to allot money for a park.
3. to assign as a portion; set apart; dedicate.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This has got to be the dumbest thing that Apple has EVER shipped with any product. Has anybody even needed to eject their SIM on an iPhone before? I know that literally someone has, but this seems like a total waste of money and an insult to the paper clip industry.

metalurgist

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Ipaperclip is made of a new superalloy

Just an FYI since we all seem overly interested in the iphone 3g paperclip:

The iphone's sim removal tool is actually made from a new superalloy by this company: http://www.liquidmetal.com This is their first product with apple and I suppose they are trying to form a larger more significant relationship with apple. Personally, I would love to see a product casing made from this stuff as it is supposedly twice as strong as titanium and very scratch-resistant. Not to mention it would look cool.

I haven't yet held this new tool but I'd like someone to try to bend it and let us know if it is really as strong as they claim. :D

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
many man-hours went into the design of this i'll bet. It shows.

From the elegant sleeve to the sleek edgy design of the Apple clip.

Do think it's possible the design team is a bit OCD?

News Flash!

"Bigfoot is rubber"

darkflounder

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
SF Bay Area, California
This has got to be the dumbest thing that Apple has EVER shipped with any product. Has anybody even needed to eject their SIM on an iPhone before? I know that literally someone has, but this seems like a total waste of money and an insult to the paper clip industry.

Had my 3G for two days, and it started kicking out SIM card errors. Used the
"iClip", ejected the card and re-seated it. No more errors.

Yes, it has been used. It's not a total waste of money.

Scottio200

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008

Well i did need the sim eject tool, mainly to take my sim card out of my 8gb iPhone and put it into my 8gb 3G iPhone as i didn't get a new one with my upgrade (as most/all people who upgraded didn't get a new one)

And all the people who got the phone new would have received a sealed box and a separate card/envelope with their sim card, so they to would have needed the eject tool at some point to put the sim card into the phone.

Now with the first iPhone the sim card was all ready in the phone when it was boxed, so no need for a sim tool with them.

Im sure you'd be more pissed if you didn't get the eject tool and needed to find a paperclip to put your sim in, Apple included this with the phone so that you would have the tools needed to get your iphone all simmed up as quickly and as easily as possible

Thanks
Scottio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.