Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Apple store recommends Apogee Duet or M-Audio for enhanced sound. I feel that the mini Dac is a better choice for Hi-Fi Mac set-up. Optical or Firewire from Mac to Mini DAC to powered speakers should give you an impressive set-up for music or Garage Band. Any here tried the Mini DAC?

minidac1_300.jpg

Add the Mini-Me for mic set-up.

usb_chart350.gif

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
If I recall correctly from some threads on music forums, Apogee claims the DAC quality in the Duet is superior to the Mini-Me or Mini-DAC. The audio quality of the Duet is quite good (I have one) and the headphone amp is even impressive. In fact, I am using my Sennheiser 600's direct into the Duet rather than using my high-end headphone amplifier connected with Cardas interconnects.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I'm using the Kerces 151 usb dac and like it quite a lot for my headphone setup. It was only $230 but I'm not sure how much the the apogee is these days.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone know if firewire is better than Toslink opitical?

The only thing missing in the Duet is optical or coaxial input. I want to use the DAC for my CD play and MacBook so the Mini seems to fit better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.