Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Hello, I'm stuck to FF3 because I need full page zoom feature (with custom levels of zoom per websites), but today I discovered that with webkit nightly builds it is possible to do full page zoom (after enabling it via terminal). The question is: is it possible to make it remember the zoom level for every site?

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
Yeah I'm going to bump this thread in hope of an answer.

I prefer Safari but, in Firefox, when you zoom in or out it remains at that level even if you close a tab, open a new one or even quit the application. Safari doesn't and it's driving me nuts.

Anyone? :)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I too am having the same issues on my mac mini media center. It would be nice for safari to remember that I zoomed in so the text is readable from the couch. Is this possible to do?

Thanks.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
A Google search brought me here, and was sad to see that there's no solution posted yet.

I'm new to Mac and Safari and looking at using Safari, but this problem that Safari doesn't remember the zoom level for each site will rule it out for me.

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
That mitigates a lot of frustration that I have with Safari. However, it does not remember specific website zoom settings.

Firefox also has an extension called: No-squint

Also, Chrome has an extension called: Autozoom.

These extensions change the default website zoom of their browser, which can be adjusted and remembered.

I hope that helps for Chrome and Firefox users.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Why not just use CMD + + or CMD + - to zoom? It will stay specific to pages you change it on and can be reset back to normal with CMD + 0

cerimorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Why not just use CMD + + or CMD + - to zoom? It will stay specific to pages you change it on and can be reset back to normal with CMD + 0

This doesn't work for me (in Safari 5.1). Do you have a setting or extension that's providing this functionality for you?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I'm running Safari 5.1 and it works fine for me, it's always worked in between Firefox and Safari. I don't have any special plugins or settings, it just came standard.

cerimorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
That's odd. It's worked for me in Firefox, but never in Safari, and I've seen other people requesting the functionality in Safari.

Just to double-check, you are saying that if you open up a site (say http://www.macrumors.com), hit command-plus a few times to zoom in, close the tab and/or browser, then later visit http://www.macrumors.com, it will stay zoomed in?

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2008

No, it's specific to tabs in the current session. (maybe that's what you mean with "pages")
It's not domain name specific.

I've checked out cerimorgan's extension, and it does solve the problem, good job man!

I had also tried AllPagesZoom, another zoom extension that let you set a non-specific default zoom for all sites (thus achieving something comparable to the CSS style method, i.e. a one size fits all zoom)

What annoys me of both these extensions (vs the CSS style trick) is the "load small, wait for the page to fully load, THEN zoom" visual effect. You can't start reading the page while loading. And the effect is somehow ugly to watch, if not annoying (hundreds of times a day).

Whereas the CSS style trick loads the page directly at the set zoom.

Anyway cerimorgan's extension gets the job done and it's the way to go for people who need to set wildly different zoom levels on a per site basis.

For those who can live with a one size fits all zoom level (which still save you from CMD+++++ing thousands of times a day), I'd stick to the CSS style trick.

cerimorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for taking a look at my extension!

I definitely agree that using the CSS trick is not optimal for the reasons that you describe. Right now the CSS is applied once the page is done loading. I did try applying the CSS right away, but it wouldn't work (because the script gets called in the HEAD portion of the HTML page, before the body loads).

I'll try playing around with trying to apply the CSS after a very short delay (and checking to see whether the body exists yet). Perhaps there's a way to minimize the jarring effect of the page loading, then changing size afterward.

cerimorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
I've released a version 1.1 of ZoomBySite. A couple of changes in this version:

1. Works with either command + or command = for Zoom In. Hopefully this solves a problem with non-US keyboards.
2. Sets the CSS Zoom level as soon as possible rather than waiting for the page to finish loading. The benefit of this is that for many (most?) sites, you don't see the site load in at the normal size, then a jump as it zooms in or out once the page loads.

Still available at the same URL:
http://www.cerimorgan.com/products/zoombysite/

seattlecard

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I've released a version 1.1 of ZoomBySite. A couple of changes in this version:

1. Works with either command + or command = for Zoom In. Hopefully this solves a problem with non-US keyboards.
2. Sets the CSS Zoom level as soon as possible rather than waiting for the page to finish loading. The benefit of this is that for many (most?) sites, you don't see the site load in at the normal size, then a jump as it zooms in or out once the page loads.

Still available at the same URL:
http://www.cerimorgan.com/products/zoombysite/

THANK YOU!! Excellent tool. Saved my poor eyes using this MBA 11!

petererr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
The extension seems not working with the latest Safari 5.1.1.

Please update! Many thanks.

cerimorgan

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011

I just updated this morning and have only tried for a few minutes so far, but things seem to be working for me. Can you describe what's not working? Are old zoom levels lost? Are new ones not being saved?

Thanks!

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2008
By the way, it looks (to me) that the manual CSS style sheet trick has issues with http://www.icloud.com. (in the iWork tab you can't click on the Pages/Numbers/Keynote buttons above, in the iCloud webmail you can't access some tabs in the preferences such as the aliases tab)

On the other hand, the extension-driven page zoom solutions (AllPagesZoom, ZoomBySite, etc.) don't seem to have those problems.

So i'm switching to extensions (AllPagesZoom for the moment, ZoomBySite should the need for different per site zoom arise).

The fraction-of-a-second "load small, wait for the page to fully load, THEN zoom" visual effect is not that bad after all.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010

Please update! Many thanks.
Can anyone tell me where exactly is the latest version of Safari?
I was using the Webkit nighties but they haven't been "nightly" since Oct. 18th :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.