Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Hi,

Just saw this on the order status page of my mothers macbook air (translated it myself):

Not sent
Estimated shipping date: 24 Nov, 2008
Estimated delivery date: 26 Nov, 2008 - 27 Nov, 2008
Product
MACBOOK AIR 13 CTO
"Built to order"

Cancelled
Product
MACBOOK AIR 13/1.6/2GB/120GB

So - what does this mean? (A straight translation of "built to order" would be "order-built" or "configured to order" which i assume CTO stands for? anyone know?) They cancelled her original order due to all the problems with screen/hdd?

So... Yay or nay?

Cheers

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Hi.

Hm, same here.

I don't think that they cancelled the order, otherwise they would have at least sent an email.

They just changed the order internally.

MBA ordered in the German Apple Store...

I've been waiting for more than three weeks now.

Cheers
goshya

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
OMG OMG OMG! I thought you were kidding... Didn't see the more info button. This is huge!

MACBOOK AIR 13 CTO
Z0G2

Order configuration
| Show Hide
1.60GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
128GB Solid State Drive
KYBD,User's Guide

And i almost cancelled the order since i forgot to add a rebate printer which she doesn't need.

This would be awesome!!! :D

love:apple: Waiting almost 5 weeks since ordering almost feels worth it now :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I hope you get your machines soon. After owning the first Air for over 6 months and now the new Air for 3 weeks I can say you won't be dissapointed. The late 08 Air is an incredible laptop, everything the first one should have been.

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Hmm this reeeaally makes me hope she doesn't get a bad screen or no 4-finger-swipe. Wonder what would happen if she had to get it repaired/replaced. Would she get the SSD drive back?

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I hope you get your machines soon. After owning the first Air for over 6 months and now the new Air for 3 weeks I can say you won't be dissapointed. The late 08 Air is an incredible laptop, everything the first one should have been.

Yes its amazing!

And you are getting the SSD drive for free!

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Trust me i am. (Mom too - though she doesn't get what the difference is :D she does however get that she got a 500$ upgrade for free :))This really shows me that Apple cares about their customers.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
What is the deal? Are they giving SSDs for free to everyone who ordered in Europe? :eek:

Seems so. Or maybe just those who have been waiting 3-4 weeks+. We have some strong consumer right laws here in europe, so much longer and they would have been forced to compensate somehow since they already debited.

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
That would be awesome but I can't see Apple doing it. They've had things delayed before and people got crap. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyhow.

Yeah, i wanna be realistic too. But how do you explain that they cancelled my original order late friday and put in an order with the 128GB SSD drive clearly present in the description? I'm not holding my breath yet though :)

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Apple does seem to be having big issues with the implementation of 120GB non-SSD harddrives on the macbook air... (wonder what that problem could be).

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I hope so too but the price disparity is HUGE between a HDD & SSD.

I hope you get it, that would be a big win for the little guy but it would mean a whole bunch of people waiting for a rather affordable Air will be waiting quite a bit longer.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
There is no way that Apple would do such a thing in the US, but I guess Europe is a lucky place for lucky people who get to pay a lot but then live with high standards that might force companies to compensate the consumer :cool:

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I just got back from my local Apple store here in Rancho Cucamonga, California. They have the base MBA with 120gb HD in stock.

swede123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I just got back from my local Apple store here in Rancho Cucamonga, California. They have the base MBA with 120gb HD in stock.

Did you actually see it in the system profile/manager? I've heard that beeing said before from store personel without proper info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.