Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
This is odd. Suddenly, there's the word "Special" printed on my iPhone home screen, just right beneath the carrier logo and the clock. What's this? I've never seen this before! Does anybody have this too? I haven't jailbreaked my iPhone or done anything strange with it. Please see the screenshot I just took.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 152

manram

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Canada
This is odd. Suddenly, there's the word "Special" printed on my iPhone home screen, just right beneath the carrier logo and the clock. What's this? I've never seen this before! Does anybody have this too? I haven't jailbreaked my iPhone or done anything strange with it. Please see the screenshot I just took.

You are obviously jailbroken. So did you install anything recently from Cydia/Installer that may have caused this?

Try to reboot also.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
You are obviously jailbroken. So did you install anything recently from Cydia/Installer that may have caused this?

No I'm definitely not jailbroken. I never even tried that. Don't want to reboot until I find out what this is.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Really, that's weird.
I would suggest that you reboot. I have never seen this before.

I don't want to reboot, I'm afraid that it goes away. I want to know what this is. Some kind of easter egg? A bug? I had my iPhone with me today and everything was normal. It was laying on my table the last hour or so, now I just picked it up and suddenly I see this. Tried to click it or something, but nothing happens.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
While I haven't had the word 'special' there, I HAVE had my carrier appear there when I arrived in US, pushing all the app icons down. It must be something to do with a foreign iphone and roaming?

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
i had an iPhone on Optus in Australia.

sometimes I would have "Optus" written where you have "Special"

therefore I think it's carrier related. (I had never jailbroken either.)

it happened about 3 times over 3 months. A reboot always removed it.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Macworld coming up. Apple seeds random iPhones with a "special" code. If you happen to be in the keynote auditorium during the keynote speech and the code word turns red, the first person to notice it and raise his hand wins a new Tesla electic car.

Or maybe not. ;)

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
Macworld coming up. Apple seeds random iPhones with a "special" code. If you happen to be in the keynote auditorium during the keynote speech and the code word turns red, the first person to notice it and raise his hand wins a new Tesla electic car.

Or maybe not. ;)

ROFL!

garrettcumber

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005

Or maybe not. ;)

Thats the funniest sh** Ive heard in a long time!! LOL!!!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Why would the phone be in german and yet have special in english?

If it's something that a user should never see then there's no point in localising it.

i had an iPhone on Optus in Australia.

sometimes I would have "Optus" written where you have "Special"

therefore I think it's carrier related. (I had never jailbroken either.)

it happened about 3 times over 3 months. A reboot always removed it.

I once had my iPod report "AT&T" in the top-left where it normally says "iPod" (and therefore where it'll say "OPTUS" on yours) but I've never seen anything where that "Special" is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.