Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114809-mbp_ram_500.png

Apple has begun offering 8 GB RAM upgrade kits for the 2.93 GHz and 2.66 GHz models of the latest unibody 15" MacBook Pro, despite the published technical specifications claiming support for a maximum of 4 GB in these higher-end models. Apple is not currently offering the 8 GB kit for the entry-level 2.4 GHz 15" MacBook Pro, which also claims support for a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.

While Apple computers frequently support additional RAM beyond the published maximums, Apple typically limits its recommended RAM offerings to those maximums. This requires customers wishing to upgrade to higher RAM kits to either purchase Apple RAM kits intended for other models using the same RAM but supporting the higher maximum or turn to third-party suppliers who frequently offer such kits advertised for models that unofficially support the higher RAM configuration.

Apple's 8 GB RAM kit retails for $1200, significantly higher than similar offerings from many third-party RAM vendors.

Article Link: Apple Offering 8 GB RAM Kits for 2.93 GHz and 2.66 GHz 15" MacBook Pros

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Wasn't there some sort of firmware or software limitation stopping the Unibody Macbooks/ Macbook pros from using more than 4Gig of RAM? Is anyone aware of a software update to remedy this?

Maybe 10.5.7 has something to do with this?

Jay

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Well maybe I'm missing something or Apple just pulled it 'cause it's not there now. It's only there for the 17" model.

EDIT: Ahh, nevermind, I was just looking at the config page and now I see it on the memory page (accessories).
Funny how they don't yet have it as an option yet in the customize page.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
I wonder, would this work for the Penryn MBPs? Using either Apple's kit or a 3rd party?

darrenscerri

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Malta
What about the 2.53GHz MBP? What's the main difference besides the CPU in the 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz versions? Do they have different logic boards which lets the 2.66GHz version accept 8GB and the 2.53GHz limited to 6GB?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Jeez Apple are morons when it comes to RAM :rolleyes:

FFS publish actual technical specifications and not marketing BS, and don't artificially cripple machines either :mad:

Macmoney

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
na
I got the 2.53 in October...just great apple. I thought I was
buying the mid level MBP now they don't even offer that model
4 1/2-5 months after its introduction.

darrenscerri

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Malta
I got the 2.53 in October...just great apple. I thought I was
buying the mid level MBP now they don't even offer that model
4 1/2-5 months after its introduction.

Totally agree with you. At least show the 2.53Ghz version in the memory upgrade page! Jeez!

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
i talked to the "geniuses" at the apple store and they believe that this is a mistake.

In general, whatever the "geniuses" say I try and believe/do/buy the exact opposite (I'm assuming the "s are mocking them too). I've met several that actually don't even know the specifications of their macs very well. I have met some that are extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to, also, but in my experience, they are a rarity.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Apple's 8 GB RAM kit retails for $1200, significantly higher than similar offerings from many third-party RAM vendors.

:eek: Still blows my mind when I see that. :eek: :eek: $1,200...the price of a fully loaded mini...or a 24" ACD and an iPod! :p Oh well, remember in the 80's when RAM was over $100 per megabyte? :D Back then, the same 8GB would have cost about $820,000...and no computer of the time could even address that much anyway. ;)

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Too many emoticons, dude. Lay off the caffeine.

And for what it's worth, I called the Apple Store about whether or not the 8GB would work in the 2.53 GHz, and the saleswoman brought on an engineer, who said there was a "very good chance" it would but that they don't test on older models.

He didn't say anything about it being a mistake, or that 8GB wouldn't work in the 2.6, or anything else that would be rather obvious if that were the case.

Yes, Apple sales people are not necessarily very bright; yes, Apple geniuses are not necessarily very bright; but a dude from engineering probably knows better.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
According to AI
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._memory_upgrade_kits_for_15_macbook_pros.html
all mbp's (including the 2.53.) can take 8gb except the entry level 2.4

Typical apple, this really forces my hand when deciding which MBP to buy, I can't afford 8gb now, but in a year it will be cheap, and I'll want the option. I wanted to buy the entry 2.4 one, but if it's limited to 4gb I'll have to cough up the extra.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
In general, whatever the "geniuses" say I try and believe/do/buy the exact opposite (I'm assuming the "s are mocking them too). I've met several that actually don't even know the specifications of their macs very well. I have met some that are extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to, also, but in my experience, they are a rarity.

oh yes the "s are definitely of the mocking gesture haha. anyway i know what you mean i had an apple "genius" tell me that the new unibody MBP's only allowed 2GB of RAM. i just looked at him, nodded and then told him i had to go on account of my head hurting. he didnt get it but probably for the better

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Money aside would SSD be a better option for your $$$

I wonder if the money would be better spent on an SSD? Or, if you need that kind of RAM do you really need a MacPro desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.