Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I was slightly disappointed that the Apple :apple: iPad did not have an onboard Camera of some sort. I thought by now this would be a much wanted feature. Maybe Apple :apple: will add one in the future, who knows. I hope so.

I created this design after I had seen the 30-Pin Connector for a USB port. That got me thinking, then I released that the door is wide open for adapters and what they can do.

I think that having a Video Camera on the iPad will attract more consumers and really throw the iPad hype into over drive. Video Conferencing is the way to go!

isightlite.jpg

So here is my concept design that I did, and I hope you all like it! Please leave a comment and tell me what you think. Do you think this could be a good idea for fixing the No-Camera on the iPad? It sure would be nice!​

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If I were a monkey hanging from a tree I'd be all over this concept like a fat girl at a buffet.

On a side note, are those the people from Lost?

Disclaimer: I'm fat, I get to make such remarks.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You'd have to hold it upside-down :-(

Except there is really no upside-down on the iPad. It's not like the iPhone where there is only one portrait orientation, you can rotate the iPad in any orientation you want and the screen will rotate accordingly.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
If I were a monkey hanging from a tree I'd be all over this concept like a fat girl at a buffet.

On a side note, are those the people from Lost?

Disclaimer: I'm fat, I get to make such remarks.

From what I gathered from the Video's (on apple.com, the Keynote presentation, and the Commerical), You can hold the device any which way, because the proximity censor will adjust the screen to anyway that the device is held.

Except there is really no upside-down on the iPad. It's not like the iPhone where there is only one portrait orientation, you can rotate the iPad in any orientation you want and the screen will rotate accordingly.

Yay, thats what I thought!

So then this concept would work??

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
You'd have to hold it upside-down :-(

Other than an arbitrary preference for the home button, the iPad doesn't really have an up or down. I like the idea, personally, and I can see Apple doing a camera this way. The iPad is probably one of their lower profit margin products, so they will likely want to "nickel and dime" people for upgrades' Why include a camera in the device for free when they can sell it as a $40 add on?

Although, I would suspect that if they do an add-on camera it will be 640x480 and the same unit out of the nano. There's only two uses for a camera in an iPad: video conferencing (where VGA resolution is likely adequate) and document imaging which would really need a rear facing camera and autofocus on top of 3-5MP resolution.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Other than an arbitrary preference for the home button, the iPad doesn't really have an up or down. I like the idea, personally, and I can see Apple doing a camera this way. The iPad is probably one of their lower profit margin products, so they will likely want to "nickel and dime" people for upgrades' Why include a camera in the device for free when they can sell it as a $40 add on?

Although, I would suspect that if they do an add-on camera it will be 640x480 and the same unit out of the nano. There's only two uses for a camera in an iPad: video conferencing (where VGA resolution is likely adequate) and document imaging which would really need a rear facing camera and autofocus on top of 3-5MP resolution.

Thanks for the comment

I completely agree! I believe they were nickel and diming it to meet their price goal, so its more affordable to a wide range of people. The more units they sell, the lower the future prices become.

I also believe that the iPad has a bright future. It MAY take off slower than the iPhone and iPod Touch, but I still believe it'll sore. :)

is this the camera kit?

No this is not the Camera kit. This isn't real. This is just a concept design I put together today, to represent my thoughts of a future design of a possible adapter for the Apple iPad that will bring Video Conferencing to the device. A much wanted feature.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
From what I gathered from the Video's (on apple.com, the Keynote presentation, and the Commerical), You can hold the device any which way, because the proximity censor will adjust the screen to anyway that the device is held.

I know I know but we're all into aesthetics and such and while you can rotate it any way will every app actually cater to that option?

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I know I know but we're all into aesthetics and such and while you can rotate it any way will every app actually cater to that option?

Oh yea, this is just a mock up... a quick one at that. I plan on doing a few more to show off a more aesthetics' appeal. I'll upload 'em when I do.

And what do you mean, "Will every app actually cater to that option" - rotating the screen anyway and having the app adjust itself? -I believe this to be true. I think Apple saw that rotating the device any which way would help lessen the confusion for future new years, and appeal to existing.

Or - will every app that uses a Video Camera feature work with the said Adapter? (if it's gone mainstream that is)

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Did everyone miss that I've been posting this exact kind of mock up for days now?

I mean, congrats on the mention with 9to5, but I emailed them the day the iPad came out :(

Here's mine:

4hb5w5.png

I theorized a swivelling camera, so you could take pictures, or video conference.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Reality check:

Apple put a video camera in the last Nano . . . cost per unit is not an issue folks.

The pro-camera faction is generally divided into two groups. The first is "Why didn't come with a built in front facing camera?" and the second group is "Oh, they must be holding it back for Gen 2."

How about this . . . the design and engineering group tried it out and eventually came to the same conclusion that the Touch and iPhone team reached, that while the idea sounded good, but the end user result sucked and it didn't offer any satisfying user experience.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
Its a good concept rendering.... Do it! Make some money! And give us the camera everyone wants. The only major hurdle will be whether or not apple will allow you to access the camera software form the port.
My other thought is, if it were dock-able, you wouldn't get camera shake. Maybe try and do a camera dock.

freelander

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
According to one rumour on this sites homepage there is already a space built into the casing for a camera! Assuming this is true then this could be there in version 2. Call me cynical but this is what apple do best, launch a product then keep the frenzy going with regular upgrades that we all want. You can't beat their marketing strategy.
Having said all of that I'll be first in line in 60 days!!

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Did everyone miss that I've been posting this exact kind of mock up for days now?

I mean, congrats on the mention with 9to5, but I emailed them the day the iPad came out :(

Here's mine:

4hb5w5.png

I theorized a swivelling camera, so you could take pictures, or video conference.

GREAT DESIGN MATE!!!

I was going to re-do my design and add that same style, but your swilves I wanted mine to kinda Rotate back over itself to the back - but I really much enjoy your design!! fantastic!

-- Would you mind re-doing your design, and flipping the iPad like I did mine, because who wants to use a camera when it's at the bottom of the device! Either way, I enjoy this concept! Very well done!

:)

Cheers!!

Its a good concept rendering.... Do it! Make some money! And give us the camera everyone wants. The only major hurdle will be whether or not apple will allow you to access the camera software form the port.
My other thought is, if it were dock-able, you wouldn't get camera shake. Maybe try and do a camera dock.

Ooh, nice idea! I'll mock something up and see what I get! Then I'll post it. :)

Thanks!

According to one rumour on this sites homepage there is already a space built into the casing for a camera! Assuming this is true then this could be there in version 2. Call me cynical but this is what apple do best, launch a product then keep the frenzy going with regular upgrades that we all want. You can't beat their marketing strategy.
Having said all of that I'll be first in line in 60 days!!

I was going to say, I'll be 2nd, but I think I'm going to wait for the 3G - version.

my Smartphone

(
htc6800.png
)​

My contract is going to be up in a few months - and as it stands now, I rarely use my cell phone. I also have an unlimited data package with Bell-Aliant for 30$/mth, and the service is great. Which I do use alot. I use it to broadcast my connection thru WiFi, for my iPOD touch, and Laptops. I've seen download rates well over 225kb/s. Which was FASTER than my highspeed at home, till I got Ultra ( Now I'm reaching 850kb/s +)

So if Bell offers the same deal that AT&T will be offering, I'll be one HAPPY GUY!

$30/mth no-contract /unlimited internet! OH Sweet Baby!

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Apple iPad 2.0 Mockup Designs

Someone suggested that we created a thread dedicated to Apple iPad 2.0 Mockup Designs!

Please add yours, and leave a comment!

17049205732749968510954.jpg

iSight Lite+ 30-Pin adapter

standcl.jpg

Base Stand

*** I also just realized that if this was the concept design, with the iPad being Helding by the Stand thru the 30-pin connector, that would take out the option of an iSight Adapter, and would rely on a built in front facing camera. ***

- These are they only mockups that I have at the moment.

Please add yours!!

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
attachment.php

Maybe someone can photoshop one with a smaller bezel and a 16x9 screen. I would like to see that.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Now if they can add a mouse, a keyboard, and a bigger monitor we might just be on to something! ;)

Reminds me of this insightful recent article discussing the divide between old world and new world computing.

In that really incredibly short space of time we’ve gone from punchcards-and-printers to interactive terminals with command lines to window-and-mouse interfaces, each a paradigm shift unto themselves. A lot of thoughtful people, many of whom are bloggers, look at this history and say, “Look at this march of progress! Surely the desktop + windows + mouse interface can’t be the end of the road? What’s next?”

Then “next” arrived and it was so unrecognizable to most of them (myself included) that we looked at it said, “What in the **** is this?”

PhysicsMan

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Motion Sickness!

Ever since people have wanted a video conferencing camera on the iPad (or any tablet for that matter), i have wondered how stable it would have to be held so that the person on the other end didn't just see blur. I know people that can barley take a picture with a camera without blurring it up with a shaky hand.

Can you imagine holding the iPad the whole time you're on skype with someone? I can't. (Oh and the dock looks like it would aim the camera mighty high to use it for videoconferencing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.