Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sistim turbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
hello all,
((i have 2 quick q's that i hope i can get some explanation for))
((thank you in advance for your quick and knowledgeable responses)

1-sometimes when i look at my phone and tap the APP Store and tap Updates i see (lets say) 3 updates.
then when i go on itunes on my computer and click on Applications and click at the bottom right to see if i have any updates it may say that i have only 1.
how come the phone and computer say i have a different amount of updates?

and

2- in my, music->itunes->Mobile Applications folder, i have duplicate and some triplicate copies of the same app.

for example see AIM app.

there is-

AIM
AIM 1
AIM 2

is this bc every time there is an update to an app, it loads the new one and keeps the old?
if so, can i delete the older versions and just keep the newer one?
or does it not really matter?

is this why my phone and computer say i have different amounts of updates?
thanks so much.
:cool:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 117

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed the same thing regarding updates where iTunes will tell me I have certain amount of updates that is not accurate.

After reading your post, I looked in Finder, and I too have multiple copies of the same app for those that I updated. It seems that the updated copies do not delete the older versions.

For example, I updated Dizzy Bee yesterday. I know have
Dizzy Bee (the old version)
Dizzy Bee 1 (new version)

sistim turbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
bumpy.

anyone else have any input on this ?

looking for suggestions advice strategies etc.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
something in iTunes is not tracking the updates right. The AIM, AIM 1 etc has something to do with it. I'm not quite sure yet but until it's sorted out I do all my updates right from the phone. Then when I sync, it overwrites the AIM.ipa on my iMac and does not make an AIM 1.ipa etc.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
There are SO MANY bugs in the App Store and the way that updates are delivered. Apple have really let standards slip in recent months what with all the bugs and downtime on the App store, activation servers, MobileMe and iPhone OS 2.0. I do hope this is not the shape of things to come. It's as if nobody in Apple actually tried the products before they launched them.

I had a situation where Things (a GTD app) was showing as having an update available, and yet the iPhone and iTunes just didn't want to know. I ended up having to download the app again. It warns you that you're going to be charged. After you accept, a second dialogue box comes up to tell you that you have already purchased this app and that you won't be charged.

My iPhone has never had updates showing in the App Store, and yet iTunes does report updates available. Plus I do get the odd time where iTunes says updates are available, and yet there aren't really any. The Things developer refers to them as "Phantom Updates". They are also very frustrated at it having taken 15 days for Apple to get their act together and approve their update.

sistim turbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
yea i hope they get all the bugs out.
maybe apple will update the app store and will erase all unwanted or older updates.

if they dont,,,,,and if it stays this way for months/years to come,,,,,we could have 200 of the same AIM app. along with tons of other unwanted updated apps. we just want the newer one right?.

AIM 56
AIM 57
AIM 58
AIM 59

AIM 236
AIM 237
etc
etc

hope that get fixed quick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.