Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefflemon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I ordered my iphone today on the £30 tarrif (o2 said I can upgrade my contract to a higher tariff but I cannot downgrade until after 9 months).

I saw some software that allowed free IP calls over iphone, what is this, and is there one for texts?

Do yout think the software will provide a cheaper alternative or will I have to upgrade my tariff to get more 'free' mins...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Apple will not allow VOIP software on the App Store. Mark my words on that one.

There is third party stuff available, but you have to hack your phone to make it work.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I ordered my iphone today on the £30 tarrif (o2 said I can upgrade my contract to a higher tariff but I cannot downgrade until after 9 months).

I saw some software that allowed free IP calls over iphone, what is this, and is there one for texts?

Do you think the software will provide a cheaper alternative or will I have to upgrade my tariff to get more 'free' mins...

It will have to be an approved App Store application (doubtful?) and I would expect use of VOIP to be in contravention to your contract with your carrier (will depend on where you are and who your provider is though)

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Apple have no objection to VOIP over Wifi. Steve Jobs himself said that at WWDC.

VOIP over 3G isn't going to happen unless O2 Specifically bundle one (like the Skype phones on Three).

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
It will have to be an approved App Store application (doubtful?)
Yes, I cannot see Apple allowing this. It would be to the detriment of the carriers…

I would expect use of VOIP to be in contravention to your contract with your carrier (will depend on where you are and who your provider is though)
Would that be true though?
If I am using a WiFi connection — at home or on the street via say BT Openzone etc that has not got anything to do with O2 (in the UK) would it?
If I was using the 3G network, then yes, I'd agree with you. But VOIP wouldn't work over 3G in any case.

Edit: Too slow. :)

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA

Do yout think the software will provide a cheaper alternative or will I have to upgrade my tariff to get more 'free' mins...

iCall will be available through the app store, got to their website http://www.icall.com
Teleflip is already available for the text messages. I for 1 will not pay for text messages

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
well what would happen i guess idk is that we will be able to get viop over wifi. if it was skype that would be lovely. We would be able to take out a plan to call anywhere in the world for 9.95 or us and Canada for only 2.95 but we would have to find wifi which isn't hard. And it could replace house phones :/ for 3 dollars it isn't bad. oh yeah starbucks free calls then :)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
AT&T isn't really losing out on the VOIP over Wifi because people could be just doing free VOIP on their PC's when they have wifi anyways. It's not losing business, but you may get more people to buy the phone. :D

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Apple will allow VOIP through the app store, over wifi only. For those that are in other countries, i am sure their will be alternatives to icall for you. Remember Steve Jobs explicitly said that VOIP would be allowed over wifi.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Contrary to popular belief, lots of the users of this forum are not from the USA.

well people are talking about att wireless but also if they allow viop which they are i doubt skype will not create a application for the iphone so it would cost 9.95.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.