£30 tariff and use VOIP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jefflemon, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jefflemon macrumors newbie

I ordered my iphone today on the £30 tarrif (o2 said I can upgrade my contract to a higher tariff but I cannot downgrade until after 9 months).

I saw some software that allowed free IP calls over iphone, what is this, and is there one for texts?

Do yout think the software will provide a cheaper alternative or will I have to upgrade my tariff to get more 'free' mins...

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple will not allow VOIP software on the App Store. Mark my words on that one.

There is third party stuff available, but you have to hack your phone to make it work.

3. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

It will have to be an approved App Store application (doubtful?) and I would expect use of VOIP to be in contravention to your contract with your carrier (will depend on where you are and who your provider is though)

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Apple have no objection to VOIP over Wifi. Steve Jobs himself said that at WWDC.

VOIP over 3G isn't going to happen unless O2 Specifically bundle one (like the Skype phones on Three).

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, I cannot see Apple allowing this. It would be to the detriment of the carriers…

Would that be true though?
    If I am using a WiFi connection — at home or on the street via say BT Openzone etc that has not got anything to do with O2 (in the UK) would it?
    If I was using the 3G network, then yes, I'd agree with you. But VOIP wouldn't work over 3G in any case.

Edit: Too slow. :)

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

iCall will be available through the app store, got to their website www.icall.com
    Teleflip is already available for the text messages. I for 1 will not pay for text messages

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

exactly:

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Mind you VOIP for international calls on the iPhone would be an absolute dream. :)

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

iCall costs money to run.. it's only free to the US, which defeats the point.

Teleflip is US only.

10. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

well what would happen i guess idk is that we will be able to get viop over wifi. if it was skype that would be lovely. We would be able to take out a plan to call anywhere in the world for 9.95 or us and Canada for only 2.95 but we would have to find wifi which isn't hard. And it could replace house phones :/ for 3 dollars it isn't bad. oh yeah starbucks free calls then :)

11. pauld macrumors regular

VOIP does work over 3G networks (i use it on a crummy S/E on Three daily) - I think it even may have worked via EDGE with www.fring.com

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

it works on other phones maybe, but not the iphone, as apple will block apps that do not conform to its rules

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

AT&T isn't really losing out on the VOIP over Wifi because people could be just doing free VOIP on their PC's when they have wifi anyways. It's not losing business, but you may get more people to buy the phone. :D

14. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

icall is free but when it comes to international calling then you would need icallpro which is not free...........

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Contrary to popular belief, lots of the users of this forum are not from the USA.

16. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

Apple will allow VOIP through the app store, over wifi only. For those that are in other countries, i am sure their will be alternatives to icall for you. Remember Steve Jobs explicitly said that VOIP would be allowed over wifi.

17. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

well people are talking about att wireless but also if they allow viop which they are i doubt skype will not create a application for the iphone so it would cost 9.95.