Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
19,1 iMac, Sonoma 14.4.1 to external 4TB TimeMachine backup Disk. Booted into Repair Mode, (Apple+R). Tried to run Disk Utility on a 4 TB external disk. Failed after several attempts w (-69716) Error.

Since i do not have a second 4 TB disk, i couldnt store the data. So i erased the 4 TB. Reassigned to TM.
Did i do wrong?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Failed after several attempts w (-69716) Error.
I assume that was when running First Aid on the disk.

If 69716 (storage system verify or repair failed) is due to software data corruption, then erasing the disk and starting again is a simple way of going forward. But software corruption of a TM disk is rare with recent macOS (APFS format TM disk).

But you should consider whether the error is due to a hardware issue with the disk and so is likely to recur. In which case replacing the disk would be prudent.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Yes, ill have to check often. But i lost 2-3 years of backups. There was no way i saw to know was it software or impending disk failure. Having never recovered files from a failing disk, if it was failing, i chose to try erasing.

Last edited:

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
And having 2 backups on different drives is a good practice, just in case. I have 2 disks for TM one at work one at home

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
And having 2 backups on different drives is a good practice, just in case. I have 2 disks for TM one at work one at h
Several years ago, we used to be able to repair disk software. I don’t know how, it seemed to do with the directory layout, not the data. No, I don’t know what I’m talking about. The TM disk is running perfectly all week after the erase. Wish we had a reliable way to repair disk software, like Disk Warrior used to be.

Last edited:

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Several years ago, we used to be able to repair disk software. I don’t know how, it seemed to do with the directory layout, not the data. No, I don’t know what I’m talking about. The TM disk is running perfectly all week after the erase. Wish we had a reliable way to repair disk software, like Disk Warrior used to be.
If you ever do not trust a disk, format it with several test patterns (diskutil).
Takes a while (hours-days) but it will isolate any bad spots
and also tells you if it is good enough for re-use.
;JOOP!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
In the recommended 3-2-1 backup strategy only one should be a TM disk as they tend to fail.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Are you saying to format 100%, then reformat a second time in a different format, and repeat?
Diskutil has security options, see attachment.
;JOOP!

Attachments

• SecurityOptions.png
    SecurityOptions.png
    111 KB · Views: 16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.