Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Since the 16.5 update, when I leave my house, I’m getting notifications for items left behind. The odd thing is, it’s not saying they’re home (which is marked as a “do not notify” location for iPad, airpods, AirTags, etc), but somewhere along my route. It’s as if it thinks my device was with me but fell out of the car on the way! 😜

Anyone else experiencing this?

running 16.5 on iPhone 14 Pro

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I have had this happen with my AirPods which are always in my pocket. I'll get in the car and drive somewhere, and my phone will tell me that I left my AirPods behind, even though they are still in my pocket. It's happened about three times, so not overly frequent, but enough to be annoying.

Reactions: blackjackmark

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I have had this happen with my AirPods which are always in my pocket. I'll get in the car and drive somewhere, and my phone will tell me that I left my AirPods behind, even though they are still in my pocket. It's happened about three times, so not overly frequent, but enough to be annoying.

Always, always, always! They are in my pocket while I am being told I left them behind. So frickin' stupid, maybe I need to attach an Apple AirTag to them?

Here is the craziest part... when I checked the settings, it's showing that "Notify When Left Behind" is set to "OFF" or "paused" because I have "not used my AirPods in a while". So let me get this straight, I don't use my AirPods all the time so the Find My feature just turns itself off, thereby putting my AirPods at risk for loss the next time I take them with me. Brilliant.

But hey, maybe I'm the stupid one, because somehow I still get the "left behind" notifications while in my pocket, even after Apple decided to arbitrarily turn the feature OFF.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.