Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I'm having an issue where, when texting my wife's phone, it shows "[name] has notifications silenced", but in reality, they don't. She doesn't use any focus modes during the day and every time I ask her about this she says she does not have a focus mode enabled.

In this moment, my messages app is showing that she has notifications disabled. I just went and checked both her phone and Macbook and neither of them have a focus mode on and are set to receive notifications.

What's the deal? Anyone else dealing with this?

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Yep, I asked my friend the other day why he hadn’t texted and he said I had notifications silenced and he didn’t want to bother me. This stuff frustrates me. Apple works to suggest photos I should use for my Lock Screen, but things like this that actually matter get no attention.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks all. I agree, very frustrating as it's a confusing element that directly impacts how we all communicate. You'd think it would be higher priority (and be fixed by now).

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
A little bit off topic, but related to Focus status NOT showing that you have notifications silenced. I have "show focus status" turned off and had my iPhone and all devices on DND yesterday and someone was able to get through (I'm assuming by pressing "notify anyway" after they sent an iMessage) as it was a different vibration. I do not have any contacts that are allowed to break through my DND focus. Odd nonetheless...

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
Very strange that a US based company, with a feature (iMessage) that is only really used by those in the US and considered a key selling point, has so many issues.

It's up there with Google's RCS messages saying "message not delivered" an hour after you send it, because the message bugged halfway to the recipient. Great iMessage competitor you have there Google, really convincing the big A to adopt RCS.

The only issue I've ever had with WhatsApp is the servers might go down for a few minutes around New Year, but I'm well aware of how dedicated you guys are to iMessage over there and convincing family members to use a 3rd party app is a war that cannot be won.

Zandiman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
I'm having an issue where, when texting my wife's phone, it shows "[name] has notifications silenced", but in reality, they don't. She doesn't use any focus modes during the day and every time I ask her about this she says she does not have a focus mode enabled.

In this moment, my messages app is showing that she has notifications disabled. I just went and checked both her phone and Macbook and neither of them have a focus mode on and are set to receive notifications.

What's the deal? Anyone else dealing with this?
I found a fix as old as time. I turned everything, iPhone, imac and iphone off then on again and the problem was solved.

Reactions: weezin

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I found a fix as old as time. I turned everything, iPhone, imac and iphone off then on again and the problem was solved.
I'll have to try that everything off trick. I've been in Messages notification hell for months. Sometimes I get them, most often I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.