Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeb298

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
iPhone XR and Ipad pro 11”.
I keep getting ”sign in to turn on Face ID“ when login into my Chase mobile banking app. If I type password it then prompts for a text/email/call verification code. Will work fine on whichever device I do that on after that but If I try to login later on the other device process must be done again on that device and the cycle continues. Help!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
After you sign in touch the little person icon on the top right. Under "profile & settings" touch "sign in & security". Touch "face id" and see if the switch on that page is turned on.

mikeb298

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
Yes. It is. Just tried the process again. Entered the verification code etc on the phone and logged in and out a few times. No issue. Just tried on iPad and asking again. 38F56826-1D7E-4AF3-B4B0-0FA4C8C0C06A.jpeg

mikeb298

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
I’ve done it with both devices. Nothing changes.  says its on Chase side, Chase says on 

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
It's def. Chase. I've had the same issue for a while, issue eventually fixed itself via app updates or something. No other Face ID app does it, so it's pretty ridiculous of Chase to suggest it's Apple.

mikeb298

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
It's def. Chase. I've had the same issue for a while, issue eventually fixed itself via app updates or something. No other Face ID app does it, so it's pretty ridiculous of Chase to suggest it's Apple.
I hope that is the case. Very annoying. I have deleted and reinstalled the app on both devices to no avail thus far.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Do either of the devices have more than one Face registered? Do either of the devices sit too long and require a device passcode to unlock? Do either of the device have failed log in attempts for whatever reason (kids playing with the ipad/iphone, etc)?

Large financial institutions (that know what they are doing) hire or contract good pen testers. FaceID and TouchID has an Achilles' heel which is it can have multiple users on the same iPad such as family friends etc. A child just playing around on the iPad could potentially wreak havoc, someone with more nefarious intent could change your life for a very long time.

However devs can bolster security by using a property (evaluatedPolicyDomainState) to see if there has been any changes to to it. If there has they can block the biometric login and require a passcode. The problem is I don't think they can see what has changed. These changes can be from all sorts of things like failed log ins to pressing the 'cancel' button when a log in does fail and you have the option to 'try again'.

I don't know if that is the case for sure but it makes sense it works and then it doesn't. If that is accurate my only suggestion would be to use one device for that app and delete it off the other.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Some banking apps (I use the UK Nationwide one) gets upset if you use it on more than one device. Each time I log in from another device, it asks me to re-authenticate and then de-registers the first device. Annoying.

mikeb298

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Indiana
Do either of the devices have more than one Face registered? Do either of the devices sit too long and require a device passcode to unlock? Do either of the device have failed log in attempts for whatever reason (kids playing with the ipad/iphone, etc)?

Large financial institutions (that know what they are doing) hire or contract good pen testers. FaceID and TouchID has an Achilles' heel which is it can have multiple users on the same iPad such as family friends etc. A child just playing around on the iPad could potentially wreak havoc, someone with more nefarious intent could change your life for a very long time.

However devs can bolster security by using a property (evaluatedPolicyDomainState) to see if there has been any changes to to it. If there has they can block the biometric login and require a passcode. The problem is I don't think they can see what has changed. These changes can be from all sorts of things like failed log ins to pressing the 'cancel' button when a log in does fail and you have the option to 'try again'.

I don't know if that is the case for sure but it makes sense it works and then it doesn't. If that is accurate my only suggestion would be to use one device for that app and delete it off the other.

The iPhone has an alternate appearance set up. The iPad does not. I have just decided to only use the app on my phone. Makes my life easier lol

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Some banking apps (I use the UK Nationwide one) gets upset if you use it on more than one device. Each time I log in from another device, it asks me to re-authenticate and then de-registers the first device. Annoying.

This can happen if you set up the second device as a restored backup of the first. The app has the same identity token on both devices and leads to this problem.

The solution is to delete the app on the second device, and reinstall it. This will remove all data stored by the app and give you a fresh slate.

Reactions: adrianlondon

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

It is annoying but Chase doesn't do that. I use Face ID on my iPad and iPhone frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.