Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Just got a series 7 watch. Apple lists their 20w adapter as a "fast charging" adapter but I prefer to not use fast charging on my devices to help with battery life.

Is the 20w adapter the lowest power usb-c adapter that Apple makes?

Would the 20w adapter be the "standard" speed adapter for the watch or is there a lower speed way to charge it that people use?

I guess I'm just curious if the 20w adapter will kill the battery faster over time.

Thanks!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I don’t believe that many, if any, third party charging cables support fast charge. Buy a cable off Amazon and you can be pretty sure you’re getting a slow charge, regardless of the power adaptor.

The fast charge on AW only requires 5W.

Also Apple doesn’t allow the watch to fast charge during the entirety of the charging process. Degradation through fast charge isn’t something I worry about, but I do use optimized battery charging on the watch.

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I don’t believe that many, if any, third party charging cables support fast charge. Buy a cable off Amazon and you can be pretty sure you’re getting a slow charge, regardless of the power adaptor.

The fast charge on AW only requires 5W.

Also Apple doesn’t allow the watch to fast charge during the entirety of the charging process. Degradation through fast charge isn’t something I worry about, but I do use optimized battery charging on the watch.

Thanks. So would the 20w usbc power adapter be the "standard" one to get for the Apple Watch? I try to use OEM apple chargers. I've had bad experiences with aftermarket Amazon stuff

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Thanks. So would the 20w usbc power adapter be the "standard" one to get for the Apple Watch? I try to use OEM apple chargers. I've had bad experiences with aftermarket Amazon stuff

It is, because Apple doesn’t offer a 5W any longer.

Reactions: iyiyi

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
You may be able to find someone who has spare 5watt adapters laying around and work out something with them.

But if your charging puck is UBS-C then it wouldn't work.

iyiyi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
You may be able to find someone who has spare 5watt adapters laying around and work out something with them.

But if your charging puck is UBS-C then it wouldn't work.
Yeah the usb that comes with the series 7 is usb-c and the 5w charger is usb-a

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
You can buy an older Apple Watch OEM charger with usb a and use a 5 watt Apple charging brick. The older ones are not fast charging, and will work fine to charge your Apple Watch.

Reactions: iyiyi

hfd19

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
You can buy an older Apple Watch OEM charger with usb a and use a 5 watt Apple charging brick. The older ones are not fast charging, and will work fine to charge your Apple Watch.
Hi I just curious, how long it takes to charge series 7 with usb a and 5watt apple charging brick? because I didn't know the exact time for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.