Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celebi23

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2004
CT
So after seeing the new iTunes design, I was sure that there was some way to reverse/mod some of the UI. A few hours later (current MBP kernal panicing like mad, out of warrenty,new MBP just got here. Wanted to post this before the long process of transferring over my stuff), and thanks to ThemePark I've got some results to show off :D

First, let me just put this warning out there. ****I am not responsible for any side effects that these mods might have. I've only tested them on a late 2006 MacBook Pro**** They should be benign but, just wanted to cover myself. Ok, so, let's say that you want to put the "Traffic Light" icons back to their normal place. Open the Terminal app & enter the following:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -int -1

(Credit to http://twitter.com/rudyrichter/status/22767583924 for finding that Terminal command)

This will have the following effect
TrafficLights_1.png

TrafficLights_2.png

Ok, now here comes the bulk of my mod. Right click and "Show Package Contents" on iTunes to show 'Contents' folder. Back up and replace your /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes.rsrc with the included file (download it from here).

It only changes the small icons (took forever for just those, might work on the larger ones over the next couple of days). Doesn't cover iPods because, since iTunes uses monochrome sidebar icons, some iPod models aren't easy to tell apart. iTunes uses the same sidebar icons for "Purchased" & "Playlists" so, that's why those icons are the same (pretty sure this is hardcoded into iTunes & that can't be changed).

Preferences.png

Sidebar.png

I know that this mod isn't 100% perfect but, this should do until a more sophisticated/detailed mod shows up

Oh & just so there's no confusion, it looks like OutThere & I had the same idea at the same time
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10975137/.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the terminal pref. I can get used to the grey icons, but the small sideways window orientation was just downright weird. Much better now.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Thank you so much for doing this! It worked just fine on my 09 Macbook and my brand new iMac. Hopefully Apple will come to their senses and put the colors back in 10.1.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Thank you so much! Worked great on my summer 2007 MacBook. I only edited the images, I don't seem to mind the traffic lights change.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
why did they change the traffic light layout? seems to be against the whole gui guidelines they have

It's not against the guidelines at all, the vertical spotlights have existed in OS X before. It is even a UI element that other developers can use in their apps. They were previously seen in the "mini player" view in iTunes.

Also you must be new to iTunes because they have not exactly been following UI standards for a while, it has always followed its own path, the scrollbars for example.

Honestly the only thing that doesn't really follow Apple's standards is the ugly iTunes icon they are using now.

kuruption

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
thank you i didnt think i would bother with this but i just opened itunes 10 for the first time and thought no!!!!!

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the mods, they worked great!

Is there anyway to change the volume bar back to it's original, the thinner nicer one? This one looks fat and stupid with the ball inside...

Thanks for all the help!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
EDIT never mind, thought it was the installer version I used, can't find the link though

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
why did they change the traffic light layout? seems to be against the whole gui guidelines they have

They did it to shave the bezel, I thought that was pretty obvious. Look at the screen above, and you and see how it got fatter after the terminal mod.

Once Apple's got their mind set on something being thin, they ain't gonna stop, not even if it makes their mouse(s) really uncomfortable.

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
Very kind from you to help with all those comands and tips. Nothing in iTunes 10 bother me, I'm opened to changing

nellysinthesoup

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Update

I tweaked some more things to make it like iTunes 9 if anyone is interested.
This new .rscr includes:
- Old Checkboxes
- Colored side bar icons
- Colored Preferences icons
- Old Category bar
- Old Capacity bar for when device is connected
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?11648zhdbudk7qw
18034109.jpg

48142995.jpg

11418182.jpg

Still can't figure out how to change the volume bar though.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I tweaked some more things to make it like iTunes 9 if anyone is interested.
This new .rscr includes:
- Old Checkboxes
- Colored side bar icons
- Colored Preferences icons
- Old Category bar
- Old Capacity bar for when device is connected
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?11648zhdbudk7qw
Still can't figure out how to change the volume bar though.

Thanks you! So yours' does everything the one in the OPs' link does plus more? And it's the same process? Just replace the .rscr?

nellysinthesoup

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Thanks you! So yours' does everything the one in the OPs' link does plus more? And it's the same process? Just replace the .rscr?

Yes, you just need to replace the .rscr. Its the same as the OP's link plus more..
(with the exception of the "traffic lights" mod, you have to do that manually)

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Is it possible to use that program to remove the yellow and green buttons, so I only have the red one, it's the only one i ever use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.