Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that Firefox has been doing some weird things, random stuff that I don't even really understand how to even explain it.

I am wondering if it is beneficial to just start over with Firefox....meaning, how do I completely uninstall and reinstall it? I have read that even when you do an uninstall process, that it keeps things on your hard drive.

Can anyone explain (remember, novice terminology please) how to go about getting anything & everything related to Firefox OFF of my computer, then just reinstall it??

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note....when browsers get updates and we install them, am I supposed to go and uninstall the previous version?? ie: new updates for Safari, iTunes, Firefox, iPhoto....anything?

I truly appreciate everyone's help and step by step explanations....still new at this. Any suggested courses I could find online to help me learn a bit ~ free of course????
:rolleyes:

Thanks so much!!!!

Come see me - http://bit.ly/dacHVd
I always love to hear other's thoughts
Try this one out - http://bit.ly/cN4hZ1

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Read this: Uninstall Firefox From Your Mac
Don't forget to remove the user data files also if you choose to do so.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note....when browsers get updates and we install them, am I supposed to go and uninstall the previous version?? ie: new updates for Safari, iTunes, Firefox, iPhoto....anything?

No you don't need to uninstall them. It's all handled by the updates.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Whomever decides to help me with this....I apologize ahead for my own confusion and need for baby steps in explanations. I hope it's not all too confusing to you, what I'm asking, based on my own confusion.

I went ahead and took Firefox app to the trash. Now, per the instructions, I have located my profile folder and now I am pasting onto a flash drive.

Where I get confused is once it is all loaded onto the flash drive, what to do? Do I go back and then delete the profile folder from the machine? Next, it says

Restoring a profile backup

From the menu bar, select Firefox and then select the Quit Firefox menu item. -- have already taken Firefox to the trash

If your existing profile folder and profile backup folder have the same name, simply replace the existing profile folder with the profile backup, then start Firefox. ---- Huh?

Important: The profile folder names must match exactly for this to work, including the random string of 8 characters. If the names do not match or if you are restoring a backup to a different location, follow the steps below.
Restoring to a different location

If the profile folder names do not match or if you want to move or restore a profile to a different location, do the following:

Completely close Firefox, as explained above. --- do not have Firefox any longer
Use the Firefox Profile Manager to create a new profile in your desired location, then exit the Profile Manager. --- don't understand this either

Note: If you just installed Firefox on a new computer, you can use the default profile that is automatically created when you first run Firefox, instead of creating a new profile.

Locate the backed up profile folder on your hard drive or backup medium (e.g., your USB-stick).

Open the profile folder backup (e.g., the xxxxxxxx.default backup).

Copy the entire contents of the profile folder backup, such as the mimeTypes.rdf file, prefs.js file, bookmarkbackups folder, etc.

Locate and open the new profile folder as explained above and then close Firefox (if open).

Paste the contents of the backed up profile folder into the new profile folder, overwriting existing files of the same name.

Start Firefox. --- how can I start it if I have not reinstalled it yet? All I have done is drag icon to trash and now copy/pasted my profile folder onto flash drive

All of that above confuses me. I am unable to open Firefox, to quit it, because I have taken it to the trash already. The icon is still on my dock. wondering how to completely get it off so that I can take the next step.....which I am hoping is to reinstall the latest version of Firefox

Thank you so much!!! I miss using Firefox so much and Chrome is doing strange things too.....I just want Firefox back....at this point, if I am unable to figure out how to do it with keeping my info, I will be willing to start completely over with Firefox, forgetting any bookmarks, passwords and whatever else I will lose??????? I AM UP AGAINST THE WALL!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!:(

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
Read this: Uninstall Firefox From Your Mac --- thanks for the info, I have been able to understand some of it
Don't forget to remove the user data files also if you choose to do so. --- not sure what this means

No you don't need to uninstall them. It's all handled by the updates.
--great, thanks so much

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
YAAAyYYY...... I think I may have it figured out. I went ahead and deleted the profile folder and the one that has profile. ini

Is there a way for me to check to make sure I have gotten everything related to Firefox off of my computer so I can start over??

What abt the crash reports? Per the instructions, after clicking on Firefox, the next screen has 'profile folder' 'profile uni' and 'crash reports' Do I delete them as well? I did a screen shot. What abt the icon?

thanks again:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.