Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I recently bought 2 4GB sticks of RAM that someone recommended on here, the brand is G.SKILL and I got them from newegg.

The thing is, since installing them I have had 2 kernel panics (gray screen of death) that I wasn't having with my 4GB before.

The thing is, I have run Apple Hardware Test and with 8GB I get this error:
4MEM/62/40000000 0x84de1318

So I take out both sticks and stick them in the reverse slots, and I get:
4MEM/65/40000000 0x84e0d318

So I am thinking it must be one of the sticks of ram. So I take them both out and put 1 in the bottom slot, no issues. Stick the other one in, again no issues. So I put one into the top slot to see if maybe a slot has a problem and I once again have no issues when running the extended tests.

So, I decide that maybe I just need to retry putting the ram in again and I get this error, slightly different this time.
4MEM/66/40000000 0x84e11318

I really don't know what is going on here, nothing is plugged into the computer, and the RAM modules seem to be fine on their own. I guess for now I am going to stick the Apple RAM back in and see if it throws a similar error. Has anyone else had any issues like this or any advice?

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
My MBP would continually lock up when i tried G.Skill memory a few months back. I sent it back to Newegg and ordered NuRam from OWC and haven't had the same issue.

I'd send it back and try something different.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
Its not because its from G-Skill I can almost guarantee that! It would appear you have DOA RAM from what I can tell. I have G-Skill in mine and have had no problems what so ever. So G-Skill will work, maybe yours is just bad. I would RGA it to where ever you bought it and get a replacement set, that should do the trick.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Its not because its from G-Skill I can almost guarantee that! It would appear you have DOA RAM from what I can tell. I have G-Skill in mine and have had no problems what so ever. So G-Skill will work, maybe yours is just bad. I would RGA it to where ever you bought it and get a replacement set, that should do the trick.

I have G-Skill as well and i have no issues.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Well I have reinstalled my original 4GB and am now contacting G SKILL. Unfortunately I am past my 30 days with Newegg so they can't do anything about it.

If they can't do anything I may try running 6GB in my MBP and see if that will work, then I can use the other 6GB in my Mac Mini. I'll lose the dual channel support but according to many people it is not that much of a real world performance gain.

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Most Ram comes with lifetime warranties. Try contacting newegg and see what they say, if that doesn't work contact gskill, they'll replace it.

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
G-Skill has good customer service. I had a MB made by them go bad and they sent me a new one out in under a week. Have faith in them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.