Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I'm a novice with jailbreaking (did it to a first gen touch). I have a no contract (and unactivated) iphone 4 with 4.1 iOS. I was wondering about the stability of limera1n vs greenpois0n (yes I know a mac version isn't out yet; merely based on chronic dev team's history). Would it be worth it to wait for greenpois0n? If so, infinite folder space is sounding nice (among other things) :). Thanks for the input.

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I'm a novice with jailbreaking (did it to a first gen touch). I have a no contract (and unactivated) iphone 4 with 4.1 iOS. I was wondering about the stability of limera1n vs greenpois0n (yes I know a mac version isn't out yet; merely based on chronic dev team's history). Would it be worth it to wait for greenpois0n? If so, infinite folder space is sounding nice (among other things) :). Thanks for the input.

I used Greenpois0n on iPhone 4 (4.1 firmware with baseband preserved at 1.59.xx with TU) and my jailbreak is rock solid (used Windoze version since Mac isn't out yet)

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I used limera1n on OS X and used TinyUmbrella to retain my 01.59.00 baseband. I'm jailbroken and unlocked. limera1n is not a flawless jailbreak as sometimes the app icon on the phone doesn't appear. A rejailbreak, reboot or even another restore got it to appear on some subsquent jailbreaks I performed on my iphone 4s. As far as chronic's "history", they've never released an application like this before.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I used limera1n on OS X and used TinyUmbrella to retain my 01.59.00 baseband. I'm jailbroken and unlocked. limera1n is not a flawless jailbreak as sometimes the app icon on the phone doesn't appear. A rejailbreak, reboot or even another restore got it to appear on some subsquent jailbreaks I performed on my iphone 4s. As far as chronic's "history", they've never released an application like this before.

So limera1n will turn my unactivated into hacktivated and runs (mostly) well? Thanks for the help. I will go with limera1n I guess.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
So limera1n will turn my unactivated into hacktivated and runs (mostly) well? Thanks for the help. I will go with limera1n I guess.

When people say the icon was white, it's not a big deal and means absolutely nothing in terms of stability. Limera1n and Greenpois0n do the exact same thing using the exact same exploit. I used Limera1n and have had absolutely zero problems.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

You don't need to hacktivate, you just need an AT&T sim, doesn't even need to be activate.

ericlin0122

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Limera1n is the original, Greenpois0n is a KIRF one. Which one you wanna use? The original one for sure!

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006

I can't speak for everyone, but from my experience the Dev Team tools (Greenpoison, in this case) have noticeably fewer bugs.

I jailbroke 4.1 when limerain was released, and had all sorts of odd issues. My alarms could not be turned off unless I rebooted, I frequently lost data connections until reboot, and a few other minor things.

Yesterday, I restored to stock 4.1 and re-jailbroke with greenpoison and have no problems at all.

I also noticed similar issues back in the pre-iOS 4 days.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I can't speak for everyone, but from my experience the Dev Team tools (Greenpoison, in this case) have noticeably fewer bugs.

I jailbroke 4.1 when limerain was released, and had all sorts of odd issues. My alarms could not be turned off unless I rebooted, I frequently lost data connections until reboot, and a few other minor things.

Yesterday, I restored to stock 4.1 and re-jailbroke with greenpoison and have no problems at all.

The very first release of Limera1n did have issues, it has since been updated. It has been stable for the past 3 or 4 days.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

There are a few Dev Teams. Chronic dev team and the Dev Team not to be confused with each other. GP was a chronic JB. Lime had a couple of problems on initial release because Geo had to rush it to keep them from wasting the Shatter exploit. Still this is the way Geo has alway released his tools. He gets them stable enough for HIS hardware, release and then quickly updates the build as he learns of incompatibilities/bugs.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
There are a few Dev Teams. Chronic dev team and the Dev Team not to be confused with each other. GP was a chronic JB. Lime had a couple of problems on initial release because Geo had to rush it to keep them from wasting the Shatter exploit. Still this is the way Geo has alway released his tools. He gets them stable enough for HIS hardware, release and then quickly updates the build as he learns of incompatibilities/bugs.
My mistake & thanks for the clarification. I meant Chronic Dev Team. I mostly read about CDT, so I forget the Chronic part sometimes.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007

Mac version for limera1n is indeed out. I used it to jailbreak an iPad last night. Limera1n is a very easy and stable jailbreak. I used limera1n to jailbreak my iPhone 4. Both greenpoison and limera1n are good jailbreak programs. You're not going to to wrong with either.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
When was greenpois0n released? And it's not using the Shatter exploit is it?
A few days ago. It uses Geohot's exploit, rather than Shatter. Using shatter would have been a waste, since Geohot already released his limerain exploit.

It's a long & complicated story, but that's the gist of it.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
One final question though. Does the iPhone 4 have an AT&T sim in it already (new in the box iPhone 4)? Or do I need to buy a sim instead of that one anyways? Thanks for your input.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
One final question though. Does the iPhone 4 have an AT&T sim in it already (new in the box iPhone 4)? Or do I need to buy a sim instead of that one anyways? Thanks for your input.

US iPhones will already have an ATT sim, don't need to buy anything extra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.