Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey folks, got Mail setup for my Hotmail Email and Yahoo Email, and working great.

However, after using for over a week or so, it seems that all of my mail (even if deleted within Mail it still remains online within Hotmail.com and Yahoo.co.uk
Does anyone know if there is a setting where I can decide what happens to emails withi these online webboxes? Do they disapear after a while? Am I right in thinking that Yahoo acts slightly different than Hotmail in this respect?

Cheers

James

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Sorry, bad manners but posting to ask rather than answer- don't suppose you could let me into the secret of using mail with an Yahoo! account?

I've tried, failed, searched, and gather that its necessary to upgrade to a pay Yahoo! account to do this? Any help appreciated, thank you!

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
In Mail, in the Accounts dialog for the specific account, what settings do you have in the Advanced tab? Specifically for the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:"

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Sorry, bad manners but posting to ask rather than answer- don't suppose you could let me into the secret of using mail with an Yahoo! account?

I've tried, failed, searched, and gather that its necessary to upgrade to a pay Yahoo! account to do this? Any help appreciated, thank you!

Hey there yeh I think I struggled at first, maybe had to edit the servers...

Try by making sure that the incoming mail server is pop.mail.yahoo.com and the outgoing mail server is set to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk with SSL turned on for both. If you are stil struggling after entering those correct and making sure your username and password is correct then hit me back and we'll try something else.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
In Mail, in the Accounts dialog for the specific account, what settings do you have in the Advanced tab? Specifically for the "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:"

That answers my question in one, thanks very much! Set to remove from Inbox after one week, which is excellent, cheers

JB

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
However, after using for over a week or so, it seems that all of my mail (even if deleted within Mail it still remains online within Hotmail.com and Yahoo.co.uk

I beleive both these services are POP, therefore they won't stay in sync like an IMAP client will. I could be wrong, but I believe this is your problem.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK

I have just got this working from a regular ymail account. Many thanks OP :D

Hey there yeh I think I struggled at first, maybe had to edit the servers...

Try by making sure that the incoming mail server is pop.mail.yahoo.com and the outgoing mail server is set to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk with SSL turned on for both. If you are stil struggling after entering those correct and making sure your username and password is correct then hit me back and we'll try something else.

Last edited:

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
There also is a program available for Mail.app called mBox Mail.

http://fluentfactory.com/mboxmail-for-mac/

This program emulates an IMAP setting for Hotmail. This mean it keeps the server and client versions in sync. You delete a message from the Mac, it is removed from the server. You remove a message from hotmail.com, the client is updated.

Also the POP setting only does the inbox, if you have subfolders in Hotmail, they will not show. mBox can also show subfolders. I use it on my Mac with now issues. It's a great little program.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010

Hey, just wanted to say a massive thank you! Spot on fixed it with that knowledge, Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.