Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boy Genius Report points to a YouTube video from smartphone parts firm Global Direct Parts claiming to show a comparison between parts from the iPhone 4 and an unreleased iPhone model that the company suggests may either be the CDMA iPhone 4 rumored for release in the near future or a fifth-generation iPhone. Due to the presence of a SIM-card slot, which is not required for CDMA phones, it would appear more likely that the device in question is a fifth-generation iPhone if it is indeed legitimate. It is of course possible that the part is either from a well-done fake iPhone 4 or perhaps an alternate design for the iPhone 4 that was ultimately not used.

The video highlights a number of similarities and a few differences from the current iPhone when it comes to interior parts and cables. A look at the "middle plate" that contains the stainless steel band that wraps around the edge of the device and provides the device's antennas that have been the cause of such controversy on the iPhone 4 reveals a few differences between the two devices : the break points in the frame between the two antennas have been moved to different locations, indicating that the antenna design has been tweaked despite a very similar overall appearance for the new iPhone. The shift in antenna design has also necessitated a slight adjustment in the location of several other physical features, most significantly the mute switch.

140357-iphone_antenna_comparison.jpg

Comparison of claimed next-generation iPhone (left) and iPhone 4 (right) showing differences in antenna break points
The video concludes with a teaser claiming that more information on LCDs and motherboards is coming on the company's site, with additional information to be released next week.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Parts Caught on Video?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I like how he's like "this could fix the antena issue."

Yeah, or it's an older version that's even worse and they added the separators to make it better!

I mean, I have no idea, but neither does he. We have no idea of knowing what this is.

kryptonitejesus

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Incoming storm of Verizon rumors.

I mean, I feel pretty confident the Verizon iPhone is on the horizon, but I like most other people are getting tired of hearing about everyone speculating on when it's coming, and I for one will just enjoy it when it actually arrives. :apple:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
There's too much detail and similarities showing Apple's construction for this not to be real. Whether it's an iPhone 5 or just a different version of the iPhone 4 that didn't make it as the final design, though, is anyone's guess. I think there's a decent chance it could really be the iPhone 5, but sure wouldn't guarantee it.

EDIT: It is, however, safe to say it's probably not the Verizon iPhone, unless they do a dual-mode design that can do both CDMA and GSM. Verizon's iPhone wouldn't need a SIM card slot.

jW

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone 3G 16GB White: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This looks very believable.

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Iphone 5 has no front facing camera hole? How do they explain that one?

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Not saying that this is a Verizion/CDMA iPhone but just because there's a sim card slot doesn't mean that it isn't (if it was a CDMA/GSM Global Phone like the Blackberrys run on Verizon).

But who the hell knows, it's probably iPhone 5 exclusively for Cingular (I bet they change the name back). Kidding, obviously.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Okay I'll be the one to say it.

FAKE! Apple would never design something with SEAMS like that! China fake and a bad one at that!

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

that the front camera for hte iphone 5 is smaller and no longer needs a whole in the middle plate to make room for the cam chip?

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth

yeah i'm thinking it's an early prototype.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I like stewart715's take, but I would go one farther: It's a CDMA/GSM phone that will be for sale at both verizon and AT&T.

Strobe

macrumors member
May 28, 2009

I thought it was missing the rear camera hole, guess I missed something. I was wandering where the main camera hole is. I was thinking maybe this is a "business" version without a camera like some of the BB's.

mrial

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
I was wondering if the camera hole cut-out was removed in the shield to address the light bleed-though issue with the white iPhone?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I bet this is a Verizon iPhone or the iPhone "4.5"

The extra plastic separators are probably their to prevent the "death grip". Right now the wifi and 3G antennas are right next to each other. By separating them they can be on both sides meaning it would only affect anything if you put a metal case on it.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Very cool. But I think I can manage with my current iPhone 4 until a true LTE one comes out. I figured out how to hold mine ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.