Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Anyone here go for the 27 Cinema? Would be awesome to have the 27 cinema connected to this and perhaps a keyboard, stand, and magic mouse. Anyone actually set that up yet?

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
i do :D

When at home, i have my 11"er connected to the 27" ACD, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse. I do also own the mStand from RainDesign but actually don´t use it. It´s a leftover from my previous 17" uMBP and the tiny tiny 11" MBA just looks to funny sitting on top of this stand :D:D:D

I emailed TwelveSouth to ask if they plan to come up with something for the new Airs,..... for sure they would not tell what they do have waiting in line, but gave me some "hints",....

Personally i would love to see something build for the Air to use in an upright position with some nicely done cable mangement as i use it in clamshell mode anyways,.....

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
Look Mom,.... No Hands

Meanwhile i came up with this little nifty idea:

web.jpg

web.jpg

The "Compass" stand i am using is a leftover from my iPad,... tell me what you think,...

Last edited:

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Great setup. My only issue is I own a 24 ultrasharp LCD that accepts mini-display port...but I'd have no audio/isight etc, but it would connect. Trying to decide if having a 27 ACD along side it is worth it.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have the 27" Cinema hooked up to my Mac Pro - Its a beautiful display, Id take it over a 30"er anyday just for the backlight... Im getting a 13" MBA for it soon tho :D (And possibly another Cinema) - just to replace my poor MB :( (2 years old and still not portable enough)

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
I have the 27" Cinema hooked up to my Mac Pro - Its a beautiful display, Id take it over a 30"er anyday just for the backlight... Im getting a 13" MBA for it soon tho :D (And possibly another Cinema) - just to replace my poor MB :( (2 years old and still not portable enough)

:D

i used to own a mac pro & 30" acd and a 17" uMBP,..... this (and a Mac mini Server) is all i have left,.... LOL

does everything for my needs,......

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
shootingstar:

The bottom right hand corner of your screen - is that album artwork from itunes showing whats playing? If so, what are you using/doing to do that? Looks nice if its what I think it is.

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
shootingstar:

The bottom right hand corner of your screen - is that album artwork from itunes showing whats playing? If so, what are you using/doing to do that? Looks nice if its what I think it is.

yup,... within iTunes 10.1.1 just click on the album artwork shown in the left corner,... then the miniplayer will pop up. it's a itunes built-in feature, no need to get additional stuff :D

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Hey guys, for those of you who hooked up the MBA to a larger monitor... Does it lag when you drag to expand the windows?

I have mine connected to a non apple 27" (dell u2711) mon, and connected via mini display to display, and it gets quite laggy when i move the windows around or drag corners to expand. Any solutions?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
pretty cool set up. Very minimalist, almost artistic like. Love apple products that's for sure.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Hey guys, for those of you who hooked up the MBA to a larger monitor... Does it lag when you drag to expand the windows?

I have mine connected to a non apple 27" (dell u2711) mon, and connected via mini display to display, and it gets quite laggy when i move the windows around or drag corners to expand. Any solutions?

Sorry to hear this, my 27 ACD doesn't lag at all - i would think it shouldn't matter which monitor its hooked up too - very odd!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
pretty cool set up. Very minimalist, almost artistic like. Love apple products that's for sure.

How do you guys keep the macbook from going to sleep with the lid closed? Do you use something like insomniaX or does it default on not going to sleep when the lid is closed and the acd is connected?

Nice set up btw, too bad the acd is glossy/glassy and not suited for so many of us...

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
Sorry to hear this, my 27 ACD doesn't lag at all - i would think it shouldn't matter which monitor its hooked up too - very odd!

We've got a 27" ACD and a 27" iMac here. I've hooked my 11" MBA up to both and have had no problems with display lag, etc. It's so snappy that I'm actually considering switching to my MBA as my full-time machine - maybe getting rid of the 27" iMac altogether and replacing it with another ACD ... or just using it as a display and compile/build system.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
How do you guys keep the macbook from going to sleep with the lid closed? Do you use something like insomniaX or does it default on not going to sleep when the lid is closed and the acd is connected?

Nice set up btw, too bad the acd is glossy/glassy and not suited for so many of us...

I keep my 13'' air closed 99 percent of the time, hooked up to my 27 ACD. Once I power on the AIR while its open, I close it, it goes to sleep then I use my mouse to wake it only on the ACD. It stays on like normal, i think my settings make the computer sleep after about 30 minutes. I dont have any trouble with it sleeping out of the ordinary.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
We've got a 27" ACD and a 27" iMac here. I've hooked my 11" MBA up to both and have had no problems with display lag, etc. It's so snappy that I'm actually considering switching to my MBA as my full-time machine - maybe getting rid of the 27" iMac altogether and replacing it with another ACD ... or just using it as a display and compile/build system.

Interesting, I have another 27 inch ACD still in the box that i havent figured out how to hook up to the air as a second external (or 3rd depending on if im using the airs screen too). I see there is a matrox type splitter, but it doesn't sound like a optimal/natural solution.

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I have a similar setup, on the cheap! 22" Lg Flatron LED monitor ($150), Apple wireless keyboard (Amazon, $60), Logitech USB mouse ($20). Hooked up with DVI-D, adapter mini out and cable $20.
Oh yeah, MBA 13", Rev c.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.