Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Last week when I woke my iMac from it's slumber, it started making a horrible grinding noise from one of the fans. Initially I was going to take it apart myself and clean the fans with some compressed air as I figured they were really dirty. But once I found out that I needed suction cups to remove the glass panel I decided that I would let Apple repair it for me. After all, I paid for the Apple Care and the iMac was still under warranty. Plus I didn't want to take it apart and accidentally break something and then Apple void my warranty.

I took it to the Apple Store at Partridge Creek on Friday. I told the guy at the genius bar the problem and he fired it up. We couldn't hear the grinding fan noise in the store because it was too loud; there were a lot of people in there. But when we put our hands on the back of the iMac we could feel it vibrating really bad. He ran a diagnostic on it to see if anything was showing up wrong or not working. Everything checked out alright and he said he'd order three new fans because that was how many were inside and that they didn't have any on hand.

He told me that I could take the iMac back home with me until the parts came in or I could leave it. I decided to leave it with them as it takes me an hour to get there and I could still get along on my MBP. On Monday they called to advise me the parts had come in. This afternoon they called back saying that it was all done and that I could come to pick it up. In the voicemail that was left the guy said there was a spider that had gotten up into the CPU fan and died or more likely was killed when the iMac was started.

I thought that had to be one big spider to throw the balance of the fan off so much to make the loud noise and harsh vibrating that it was. But when I got to the store and asked about it, the guy said he saw the spider and that it wasn't very big at all.

In all the paperwork on the Apple Care was $69 for the fans.

I will give a job well done to the staffers at this particular Apple Store-Partridge Creek. Everyone I spoke with on the phone and in person was very friendly, courteous and professional. They even gave me curb side service when I dropped it off and picked it up. I didn't have to park far away from the store and then lug this 24" iMac through the snow inside.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Sounds like you got excellent service from them.

In the early winter we often get wasps looking for hibernating sites (or simply places to die if they are the old workers) and one chose the exact moment I turned on the bathroom extractor fan to make its appearance. What a racket! Still, it was a good excuse to disassemble the fan and housing and clean out all the dusty gunk that accumulates in there over the year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.