Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Is it a bad idea?

I won't be doing any final cut pro or w/e.

I am using for work and grad school.

I will be doing

Heavy word processing.
Excel and powerpoint.

Heavy browsing, youtube and etc.

I won't be doing final cut pro or any serious video software other than iLife 2011.

Sometimes, I play SC 2 and Left for dead, but I am sure Macbook air 11.6 inch can run it with decent graphics and resolution.

I think I will be buying 1.6ghz/128GB/4GB Ram. I think.

Only thing that drvies me crazy is that it does have SD card slot and has 2 hours less battery life than 13.3 inch MBA, but O WELL. It's a lot more portable.

What do you all think? good or bad idea? Or should I get wait few more months and get 13-15 inch MBP?

macnerd123

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am a high school student and have a macbook air as my primary computer. I have the 1.86 GHz with 4 GB RAM. I use iWork pretty much every day with safari, iChat, iTunes, and other applications running. It runs very smoothly for me so it should probably be a similar experience for you.

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
If it's gonna be your main machine, I would suggest getting the 13 inch. Get now if you want and need it now, otherwise hold off for the MBP update which is round the corner.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If it's gonna be your main machine, I would suggest getting the 13 inch. Get now if you want and need it now, otherwise hold off for the MBP update which is round the corner.

The OP is talking about the MBA not the MBP.

OP you will have no problems with your air. They're great machines.

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
I am an old grad student. I carry the 11.6" Air in my backpack every day and find it to be on par with my 13" MacBook Pro (2010) with an aftermarket 160GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD installed. After one day on campus with the little Air, no way would I consider packing a 13" notebook again.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Any machine is good if you are doing just basics. I am using my basic 11.6" with 128 SSD as my primary (and only machine) just perfect.
I forgot to add that I have an 160 S1 Samsung 1.8" mini-drive always with me. It's so small that I always leave it in my bag, I even forget that I have it sometimes. I am currently using ~ 45 GB on my Air so having almost 300GB in total seems like 1 TB for me haha.

I don't do gaming (maybe I will some oldskool CS 1.6 via Steam which should run just perfect) and I don't have time for gaming (I study medicine). Maybe I will buy some Slim 360 this summer.
All I do is lots of pdf/docs, iTunes and obviously browsing/some Instant Messaging/Skype. Maybe I will swap for an ultimate 11" short after the new Pros will come out, but as for now I just don't feel the need.
I am indeed a look/fashion maniac and I love the Air. There's nothing like it (At least in terms of design).
To be REALLY honest, if I don't turn myself any time soon in some Photshop or Music Production enthusiast I honestly see NO reason for ever going back to >11.6" display.

Since summer 2008 I have been laptop-only. I've had a 13" Vaio, 2 x 15" Dells and I don't miss the larger screen at all. In fact, when I use my friend's 15" Asus it gives me headaches.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Heavy word processing? Only machine?

Get a larger notebook than the 11". Your eyes and wrists and neck will thank you later.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think a base 13" (upgraded to 4GB) would be a better option. It would cost $100 less than the Ultimate 11, and the larger screen would be better for heavy word processing. The 11" is really nice and I'd consider it as a 2nd machine, but I have been using various 13" MacBooks Air since 2008 as my sole home computer, and I chose to stick with the 13" model when I upgraded to the Rev D. The 13" is very portable (though the 11" does have the advantage of not, technically, having to be removed from a bag at the airport).

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
When you are at your desk for intensive usage, you can simply plug your MB Air into a larger high resolution screen monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. All of your work, data, applications, mail, etc. will be safely stored on the internal disk of the Air, ready to go with you when you take it, so nothing important accidentally gets left behind as can happen with a separate desktop machine.

-howard

St. G

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
My finacee is using her 11" MBA as her primary machine, replacing a 2007 (I think...) 13" white plastic MB. No issues so far.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
The Air will work fine as your sole machine - it will handle your work needs no problem. I would suggest the 13" with 4GB as well unless you have an external monitor. I would suggest the 24" ACD refurb for that if you got the $$$ to drop. Also consider picking up the superdrive so you can watch DVD's and load software CD's such as stats packages, graphing software, and Office, etc. over the years. Take advantage of the free wireless printer's Apple provides as well.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
I have both desktop and very good 17" laptop. I bought MBA 13 Ultimate when it first came out. I have not power up the desktop since. I used my 17" laptop once or twice, but that is just to show my wife that I am still using it(In reality, I don't). Bottom line is: the MBA is now my main system. I don't need the other two systems at all. I did everything I need in the MBA and it is handling everything I threw at it beautifully. I am not a gamer. So, I didn't do the whole lot of that. But, I did do a lot of photo using LR and photoshop.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
I am a senior citizen college professor and I use my MBA 11 on campus all the time. As a previous poster said, once I carried the 11 inch, there was no going back to a larger machine for me.

SwedishBassist

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I have similar questions. I have almost decided to get a base 11" for law school and home use. With the App store there is not much need for a disk drive much more. The only gripe I have is that you can't buy movies yet in the Swedish iTunes store. I will be doing word processing, web browsing, and perhaps some recordings in GB.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Thanks for all of your kind responses.

Originally, I thought about buying 15 inch MBP to replace my laptop and desktop. However, I would like to have an option to carry around my laptop with me from time to time. But, I am feeling that it will be great if I can just close the laptop and carry around with me everywhere for my job and school.

I looked at MBP 15 inch pricing and it was like 1799-1999 dollars. Bottom line, it was almost like 2000 dollars.

And then I looked at both iMac 21 inch and 11 inch MBA.

13 inch MBA was around 999 dollars to 1200 dollars.
21 inch iMac was around 1199 dollars, but I saw I could get them cheaper.

Bottom line, the total cost for me was like 2200 dollars. So, I felt like it was better to buy 11 inch MBA. If I am not satisfied, I guess I will just return or get an external monitor or iMac.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. It was very helpful. I am glad I did not sound too crazy when I said I am planning on using 11 inch MBA as my only and primary machine. Good.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. It was very helpful. I am glad I did not sound too crazy when I said I am planning on using 11 inch MBA as my only and primary machine. Good.

You're very welcome. Best of luck with your MacBook Air. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.