Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Only click this link if you are totally bored, have a lot of time to kill, and don't care about getting any relevant information

Fair warning

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads
Nothing we haven't heard before. Blah blah blah, data is slower, but it drops less calls. Blah blah blah Verizon is going to slow down the top 5% data users.

First, most companies slow the top data users. I've seen it in Cox internet, where they also slow down high data usage during peek periods in order to accommodate, you know, the rest of the users.

And there were only THREE reasons I heard in that video. Not five.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I agree that the video is complete crap. The guy is an obvious droid lover who is inventing reasons to bash the phone. The tired complaints about AT&Ts network are old and stale. Its too bad people have just been repeating them over and over until they believe it, and convince others as well, with no actual backing.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Only click this link if you are totally bored, have a lot of time to kill, and don't care about getting any relevant information

Fair warning

Unfortunately the same could be said for many links. If more people would focus on sharing their experiences without exaggeration and criticism of such an extreme nature, the mood would be much more positive. Why not make an effort to respect others, help out with problems & show maturity.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Fair warning

I won't doubt you, next time I will listen to you

Or if you want all the facts before you buy.
It's the same crap people been saying. If Verizon works in your area where you need it the most and you want an iPhone. GO FOR IT!!! I have at&t and t works for me. Not every carrier will work for everyone, why can't people get this? :rolleyes:

People know the pro's and Con's of both carriers and people will get which one works for them. We shouldn't bash them for this at all, it's childish.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I am now waiting for the iPhone to go to sprint and tmob.

MedicSteve09

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Concurrent data/voice: as a current verizon customer, I am already accustomed to this....this applies to any 3G phone I purchase...not an exclusive iPhone issue.

Overseas: I have no intentions of traveling overseas anytime again....again, not an issue exclusive to the iPhone. Most vzw have this limitation

Retool of AT&T iPhone: Of course, it is an iPhone 4g with a CDMA chip. If it doesn't live up to my expectations then I will move on to something else

4G: doesn't apply to me. I'm not naive enough to believe my little rural area is looking at 4g anytime this year. Any phone I would have purchased this year, regardless of iPhone's availability, would have been a 3G

Possibility of AT&T type network failure: while a possibility, it seems like I would experience network problems regardless of what phone I held in my hand due to other iPhone 4 adopters.

Seems like I'll be ok. Thank you anyways CNET, you are always there for a chuckle

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
So if you want Verizon don't get the iphone.....but get droid that uses the same "slow" data? Or pay through the nose for 4G some day in the future (if you're lucky to be in one of the few markets). Sounds like a good plan.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
The guy makes some excellent points.

Wheres the fire that you need to buy it right away, don't be a sheep, and just wait only 4 months for the iPhone5 or what ever it will be called come this June.

Plus while waiting those four short months for the new iPhone, you can see how Verizon does with the iPhone, what if they get totally bogged down with millions of new iPhone users, and start having service issues, and do become ATT ?

I say just wait a few months, and get the brand new shiny iPhone, you will wish you had once it comes out.

mightygitis

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Hampton Roads

Wheres the fire that you need to buy it right away, don't be a sheep, and just wait only 4 months for the iPhone5 or what ever it will be called come this June.

Plus while waiting those four short months for the new iPhone, you can see how Verizon does with the iPhone, what if they get totally bogged down with millions of new iPhone users, and start having service issues, and do become ATT ?

I say just wait a few months, and get the brand new shiny iPhone, you will wish you had once it comes out.

That still requires the 5 to come out this year. Which I'm not convinced it is. But if you want the white one you might be in luck in a few months.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Gotta love how the US make such a big thing when another network gets the iPhone 4, FFS here in the UK we had 6 networks for the iPhone 4 when it was released :D

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
My wife has had her Centro for almost 4 years and wants a new phone. She's loving her MB Pro and wants a phone that's as easy to use. Does she care about any of the "limitations"? No, because they apply to all the VZW phones anyways. But we get great reception in our area and AT&T is only o.k.

Happy wife happy life. :D

mg

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Verizon FTW, no matter what .

Take your CDMA iPhone out of the country, and watch it drop down to an iPod Touch with international roaming.

I can take my jailbroken GSM iPhone anywhere I want, drop a new sim card into it, and turn it into an iPhone with 3G on another carrier.

BL.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Take your CDMA iPhone out of the country, and watch it drop down to an iPod Touch with international roaming.

I can take my jailbroken GSM iPhone anywhere I want, drop a new sim card into it, and turn it into an iPhone with 3G on another carrier.

BL.

I love how people think EVERYONE travels outside of the country. I'm so glad you can take your phone everywhere, you think everyone cares? NO
Verizon has how many customers, you think they care? I have at&t now and the most I went outside the USA was Mexico, and ya know what? I had Verizon back then and made calls with no problems.

Me personally, I am happy Verizon people can have the iPhone now. Verizon didn't work for me, but it works for others. Why can't others be happy that more people can enjoy the iPhone?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Except, of course, if you need to make calls now. In that case, waiting doesn't seem like much of an option. Besides, not everyone has to have the latest and greatest. I have ample disposable income, I'm a huge techie and an Apple fan, but I don't necessarily need the brand-newest gear.

Besides, AT&T is notoriously bad where I am and I vastly prefer the iPhone to Android and Blackberry (and I've used all 3 - BB Tour 9600, Storm 2, Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, along with the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4), so I have no concerns about feeling left out at all if I buy a Verizon iPhone now instead of 5 months from now.

Besides, the Verizon iPhone is going to save me a bunch of money. I won't need to keep two cellphones - one AT&T iPhone and one Verizon something else. One phone to rule them all. :D

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
I love how people think EVERYONE travels outside of the country. I'm so glad you can take your phone everywhere, you think everyone cares? NO
Verizon has how many customers, you think they care? I have at&t now and the most I went outside the USA was Mexico, and ya know what? I had Verizon back then and made calls with no problems.

Me personally, I am happy Verizon people can have the iPhone now. Verizon didn't work for me, but it works for others. Why can't others be happy that more people can enjoy the iPhone?

Because their inferiority complex makes it impossible for them to be happy that their "exclusive at&t club" is no more. They don't care about at&t per se...I doubt many people love their telecom company. I sure as hell have no love for Verizon. They just hate the fact that others will have the phone now too.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
It was entertaining.

I'm a virgin mobile user cause I'm a cheapo. So I'm not biased either way. But I'd tend to agree with the guy, in that you should basically wait it out and see how things shake out over the next half year or so.

At least wait for iPhone 5 before signing a two-year contract approx 4 months before the next refresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.