Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Debating whether I should purchase Apple care, or opt for Square Trade for my 13" MBA. This is a no brainer for most Apple products, but the MBA seems so fragile. Square trade offers accidental drop/spill protection $300 for three years. I love being able to go to the Genius bar but I think I would feel more secure knowing that my MBA was totally covered.

I have a few more days to decide.

What do you guys think?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I suppose the value of squaretrade comes down to the typical costs of an Apple macbook Air repair. I bet they are extremely high.

Since the ST warranty is a diminishing coverage....high repair costs will cancel out the warrenty pretty quickly. The only way ST makes sense is if they payout 100% for any claim. That's not likely.

Am considering Worth Group for accidental damage and Applecare for the rest.

Anyone have experience with this combo/approach?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know people should do research... but sometimes people want to just converse and discuss.

You don't need to post links ALL THE TIME!
I never said they shouldn't converse or discuss. Posting links gives the OP other threads that may contain answers or opinions that address their questions. In no way does it restrict anyone from discussing.

From the Forum Rules:
The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a previous relevant thread
So where is the help that you offered the OP? :rolleyes:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I did a search looking up comparisons on Applecare Vs SquareTrade for a MBA cause I wanted to know. On various threads all I see is your constantly posted links; over and over and over in every other thread... sometimes the links aren't exactly even relevant to the question... related yes but not the answer the person is looking for. Three of the links you posted here aren't even about computers they're about iPhones which coverage is totally different than the coverage for computers... and none of of them are for Macbook Airs. One of the links you posted is to a thread with 3 posts... the 2nd post being YOU posting links to other threads! How is that helpful?

As a community I think people want interactions not just posted links and no actual feedback. Rather than repost threads on the matter why don't you tell us your experience from when you used squaretrade and now it compared to your experience with Applecare?

As for my input on this matter? It's too late. This thread was posted in February... it's now past the 30 days for this guy to get squaretrade so if he hadn't he's stuck getting Applecare now.

For me... I still don't know which to get... probably Applecare... just cause I can wait until next May to get it.

I never said they shouldn't converse or discuss. Posting links gives the OP other threads that may contain answers or opinions that address their questions. In no way does it restrict anyone from discussing.

From the Forum Rules:

So where is the help that you offered the OP? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The links I posted are only a sample of the threads that can be found by searching. They're not intended to be a complete list of every thread or post on the topic. They're designed to make the OP aware that this topic has been discussed before and more information may be available by searching. Many who are new to the forum, like the OP was, aren't aware of these facts and appreciate being informed.
As a community I think people want interactions not just posted links and no actual feedback.
Posting links doesn't prevent any other posts. If you don't like them, don't read them.
As for my input on this matter? It's too late. This thread was posted in February... it's now past the 30 days for this guy to get squaretrade so if he hadn't he's stuck getting Applecare now.
Which is precisely why it's pointless for you to resurrect the thread simply to post off-topic criticism of someone else's response. You respond to threads your way and I'll respond my way. If it causes you such pain and suffering to read my posts, I encourage and welcome you to add me to your ignore list, so you don't have to endure the misery of reading my posts.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The difference is you actually DO stifle discussion... look at how many posts appear after you post your barrage of links? It was one.

I wanted to read up on a full discussion on Squaretrade vs Applecare for a Macbook Air... but after your post full of irrelevant links nobody else wants to comment because they feel like it's been answered already when it actually hasn't.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
The difference is you actually DO stifle discussion... look at how many posts appear after you post your barrage of links? It was one.

I wanted to read up on a full discussion on Squaretrade vs Applecare for a Macbook Air... but after your post full of irrelevant links nobody else wants to comment because they feel like it's been answered already when it actually hasn't.

Actually his links help a lot. Threads are covered a million times before being posted - and there are way better responses in those other threads than this one. Like GGJ said, if you don't like the links - don't click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.