Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I am the proud owner of Sawtooths as many of you know. These were the last PowerMac to have 10/100BT ethernet.

I bought a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR PCI gigabit ethernet card for only $12 on ebay and it arrived today. I am proud to say that it works perfectly and uses built in drivers found in 10.5.2+.

Here is a product page for it: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEG-PCITXR&cat=14

It lists nothing about mac compatibility but I read on a couple different sites that these worked in 10.5.2+ so I gave one a try. Glad I did. It's also a great idea for firewall systems that need 2 ethernet or even a PowerMac with dead onboard eth.

So any PowerMac with PCI and 10.5 can easily benefit from this card. I am loving the true gigabit speed. It makes network drives perform like local drives.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
I am the proud owner of Sawtooths as many of you know. These were the last PowerMac to have 10/100BT ethernet.

I bought a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR PCI gigabit ethernet card for only $12 on ebay and it arrived today. I am proud to say that it works perfectly and uses built in drivers found in 10.5.2+.

Here is a product page for it: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEG-PCITXR&cat=14

It lists nothing about mac compatibility but I read on a couple different sites that these worked in 10.5.2+ so I gave one a try. Glad I did. It's also a great idea for firewall systems that need 2 ethernet or even a PowerMac with dead onboard eth.

So any PowerMac with PCI and 10.5 can easily benefit from this card. I am loving the true gigabit speed. It makes network drives perform like local drives.
Wow, $12 is a good price (would be more like £9-10 here) maybe i can afford to update my network to gigabit, but last time i checked gigabit hardware (switches etc) where expensive
But then again most of my macs run 10.4 and probably wouldn't work

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
For direct mac to mac networking you don't need to have a switch or router. Just have 2 ethernet ports on one and use that as the net connected machine. Then you can swap files at gigabit speeds with just 2 of these or one and a Mac that already has gigabit.

Not only is that cheaper but that setup also allows the first system to act as a firewall. No router needed for the firewall or connection.

This card is only confirmed to work on 10.5.2+ though so maybe 10.4 won't work.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
For direct mac to mac networking you don't need to have a switch or router. Just have 2 ethernet ports on one and use that as the net connected machine. Then you can swap files at gigabit speeds with just 2 of these or one and a Mac that already has gigabit.

Not only is that cheaper but that setup also allows the first system to act as a firewall. No router needed for the firewall or connection.

Unfortunately i would have trouble doing that, mainly as i have at least 10 comps + devices that need connecting, although i am considering adding a gigabyte part to my network where my servers and high bandwidth stuff would live, anyway thanks for the heads up on that card :)

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Good upgrade for only 12 bucks. Whats the grand total that youve put into that sawtooth in your sig? If you dont mind me asking.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Good upgrade for only 12 bucks. Whats the grand total that youve put into that sawtooth in your sig? If you dont mind me asking.

A sort of timeline without exact dates:

My first Sawtooth ever was bought in 2005 but I gave it to a friend in Montreal who needed it more than me. This was also during my MDD phase before I fell in love with Sawtooth's

I bought this Sawtooth in my sig. in 2008 for $200 off craigslist but it came with a G4 1GHz upgrade, 1GB RAM, Radeon 7500 and a DVD-RW. The G4 1GHz is now my backup CPU and the 7500 and 1GB I also use as spare parts for the future.

I then bought a 2 channel SATA card for $70 along with 2 HD enclosures for $45 each to fit all 4 drives total I wanted to use. I only like to put a max of 2 hard drives inside to keep heat down.

Over the last couple years I have bought 3x1TB and 1x500GB SATA drives for about $350 total. Also bought a Pioneer DVD-RW to replace the LG it first had. Think it was just $35.

After the drives I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and added heat spreaders to it. Total cost was about 180.

Next I upgraded the video to the low profile XFX Geforce 6200 256MB AGP that I bought for around $80 and then used my friends x86 box to flash it.

After the video and RAM upgrades I figured the CPU should be next so I bought the NewerTech MaxPower G4 7448 1.8GHz from OWC for $375. After shipping and duty though it was more like $430

I replaced all the case fans with dual ball bearing 3 speed top of the line Antec fans along with adding 2 more 80mm. About $75

About 10 months ago I bought 2x spare Sawtooth's for when I may need parts in the future. Both together off craigslist were around $160. Both are fully functional but sit unplugged/unused in the corner of my computer room at home.

Random small upgrades:

Fan controller for heatsink fans on NewerTech upgrade - $15

Gigabit Ethernet PCI card - $12

USB 2.0 PCI card (6-ports) - $20

About 3 months before I got my main/current use Sawtooth in 2008 I bought a new Dell 2407WFPHC for $700. Greatest display I have ever owned. I have the Dell logo covered with black tape :) Dell or not you can't beat the S-PVA tech. Info from wiki on the LCD part in it: "Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" Samsung S-PVA LTM240CS01-001 (true 8-bit) - 1920×1200 - 6 ms"

So that's $1627 total including the 2 spare Sawtooths so $1467 just on my main tower.

If you include the LCD it's $2327 total. Crazy huh? :) I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
That is awesome. I bet you get a lot of compliments on it. It is crazy but not many can say their mac is truly their own.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You can also use onboard ethernet and a switch. I used to use my G4 as a router that way for ages and it worked fine XD

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Never thought to show the system profiler info on the card. It shows a driver is installed which confirms it's built in.

pci10ec,8169:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-D
Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Device ID: 0x8169
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10ec
Subsystem ID: 0x8169
Revision ID: 0x0010

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.