Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
So i just bought a new macbook pro 13" last week and i noticed that whenever i lift up the macbook pro to move it, it makes an odd "click" noise. Its seems to be coming from the hard drive. Anyone know whats causing this and how to fix it? I've never heard this noise from my previous macbook pro's.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
So i just bought a new macbook pro 13" last week and i noticed that whenever i lift up the macbook pro to move it, it makes an odd "click" noise. Its seems to be coming from the hard drive. Anyone know whats causing this and how to fix it? I've never heard this noise from my previous macbook pro's.

It's normal. It's just the needle in the hard drive parking itself in preparation for an impending disaster. Every generation's hard drive sounds a little different. Just be thankful it doesn't beep like the 2009's before it parks the head.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New York
It's normal. It's just the needle in the hard drive parking itself in preparation for an impending disaster. Every generation's hard drive sounds a little different. Just be thankful it doesn't beep like the 2009's before it parks the head.

Is it really supposed to be that loud? I've owned 2 previous macbook pro's and have never noticed this noise. Anyway to decrease this noise, i find it incredibly annoying, mainly because im always picking up and moving my MBP.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Is it really supposed to be that loud? I've owned 2 previous macbook pro's and have never noticed this noise. Anyway to decrease this noise, i find it incredibly annoying, mainly because im always picking up and moving my MBP.

It does this for a reason. Moving a spinning hard drive isn't a great idea. As the drive densities go up, the risk on an error goes up. The amount of noise is based on the hard drive model. Some models have a louder "clink" than others. But they all do it.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Mine would click and then yesterday when performing a backup via time machine it would keep failing half way through. Disk Utility had trouble verifying that partition and couldn't even do a repair of it. Trying to then eject the drive cause the Macbook Pro to freeze and do nothing but kernel panics when booting back up (BSOD when trying to use boot camp as well). Reinstalling Snow Leopard couldn't even be done cause the files couldn't be copied over to the hard drive. The genius at the apple store said the drive has failed and she would have to order me a new one cause they don't have that part number in stock. (I have no idea why they can't use another part number, don't all macbook's use the same HDDs?) I even asked for a new machine as an exchange but the genius said shes not really supposed to do that (I should have mentioned all the people here that bought old models within the last few months and got exchanges for the new ones) So I am now without my Macbook Pro for the rest of the week literally 24 hours after it got delivered to me. I have a feeling that that clicking had something to do with the drive failing. My 2009 white Macbook has never clicked before.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I don't think your the clicking would have anything to do with that really. The clicking when moving is as mentioned, the sudden motion sensor. I'm sure you can disable this, although i wouldn't recommend it as it does the job. It has been used in the top end IBM/Lenovo machines for a few years with no troubles at all.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
titans1127,

I don't think that is reasonable for a brand new machine. I mean, that you should have to wait days/week for it to be repaired. If it were older, yes of course.

If it is less than 14 days old, I would just return it and then buy another one. You do have that option.

And I'm not saying that lightly, like everyone should just take every advantage they can, but come on, it's BRAND new. And they can't even fix it while you wait but you have to leave it and not have it for days? No.

I would go right back with my receipt and let them know that thank you, but I'm returning it. Then if you are not comfortable there maybe buy the new one at another store or mail order.

Miss Terri

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
titans1127,

I don't think that is reasonable for a brand new machine. I mean, that you should have to wait days/week for it to be repaired. If it were older, yes of course.

If it is less than 14 days old, I would just return it and then buy another one. You do have that option.

And I'm not saying that lightly, like everyone should just take every advantage they can, but come on, it's BRAND new. And they can't even fix it while you wait but you have to leave it and not have it for days? No.

I would go right back with my receipt and let them know that thank you, but I'm returning it. Then if you are not comfortable there maybe buy the new one at another store or mail order.

Miss Terri
Your absolutely right I should have just outright returned it and I am very surprised that they didn't take it back. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it other than the hard drive so I guess I can deal with it. For all I know I could have gotten another new sealed machine and had something else wrong with it. I had only installed apps and none of my dada at that point so it could have been much worse. The only other thing that is annoying is that the part should come in tomorrow and I am told it should be ready by Saturday or Sunday which is a joke for a 5-10 minute install assuming they don't install Snow Leopard and I just do that myself. I have a feeling that most of the Apple genius Bar employees think most of the customers have no clue about computers and they can just tell the customer something and they will believe it.

I even found it crazy that the work slip showed that the hard drive would have cost $180 if it was out of warranty. Thats insane for a 500 gig drive.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
I have the same "issue" with my brand new MBP received today! :eek:
Loud click on the bottom right whenever i pick it up quickly.. I was freaking out as well, as i've never had this on my previous macs, and clicky sounds from an HD are usually a very bad sign, but i guess i'm relieved although the sound is kind of annoying...

FmaxTurboSi

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
socal

you're kidding right? "incredibly annoying"? What about the clicks when you're typing? or do you not type on your mbp???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.